Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   What's the best SAA repro? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/whats-best-saa-repro-72904/)

cnorman18 09-21-2012 05:54 AM

What's the best SAA repro?

I know the Colts are still being made, but I'm told that the quality isn't what it once was. I've also heard that the US Firearms SAAs, made in the old Colt factory, are higher quality. Then there are the Italian reproductions, and others. Any opinions? I once had a 4-3/4" Colt SAA in .44 Special, nickeled, that was the only firearm I could ever "point-shoot" with, without aiming, and hit my target every time. I traded it for a car (1980 Triumph Spitfire that I drove for 10 years), but I still think it was a bad trade.

texaswoodworker 09-21-2012 06:48 AM

Personally, I think the Ruger Vaqueros are the best Colt SAA reproductions. They are made to be extremely strong, and are great shooters. Many (possibly most) of the people who compete in Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS use Vaqueros.

IIRC, they come in 357 mag, and 45 LC. They used to come in 44 mag (old model), and 44-40 (I think it was old model too, but I'm not sure.)

You can find them for about $500-$600.

sputnik1988 09-21-2012 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 949341)
Personally, I think the Ruger Vaqueros are the best Colt SAA reproductions. They are made to be extremely strong, and are great shooters. Many (possibly most) of the people who compete in Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS use Vaqueros.

IIRC, they come in 357 mag, and 45 LC. They used to come in 44 mag (old model), and 44-40 (I think it was old model too, but I'm not sure.)

You can find them for about $500-$600.

Agreed, they are built like a tank.

IIRC some of the more powerful ammo actually says 'For Ruger only', that tells you something right there.

Here's mine, (old) Vaquero, .45 Colt.

Vikingdad 09-21-2012 06:55 AM

Not too long ago I handled a pair of sequential Ruger Vaquero SASS Special edition that were just absolutely perfect, except the price. I forget what they were asking at the GS, but on the Ruger website they list for $1600 each. The triggers were like butter, the springs were perfect and the hammer is laid down for fanning or thumbing easily. Beautiful guns.

kytowboater 09-21-2012 07:09 AM

Agreed on the Rugers. Last year lgs had sequential match pair of 45lc price was just under $3000 irrc.

texaswoodworker 09-21-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 949342)
Agreed, they are built like a tank.

IIRC some of the more powerful ammo actually says 'For Ruger only', that tells you something right there.

Here's mine, (old) Vaquero, .45 Colt.

I don't doubt that at all. I have seen the pressure limits of the Ruger compared to other SAAs, and they are way up there.

Nice revolver. I have always loved the look of the stainless steel ones. :D

JD1969 09-21-2012 01:11 PM

I like shooting my Ruger. It is well built and has a great feel to it. It took a couple hundred rounds and smooth out and now it is like silk. My only complaint is the stocks, I don't like the plastic/rubber, but that is an easy fix.

Fielder 09-22-2012 02:49 AM

Well I won a 2nd gen colt, an modern Uberti SAA (barrel print branded Dixie as well as Uberti), and a Ruger blackhawk. The modern Uberti has a better trigger pull and smoother than the Blackhawk. The genuine Colt (Uberti made 2nd G) is best of all.

I would give an A+ letter grade to all of them. But the modern Uberti's are very good in my experience and are cheaper than Rugers (see Dixie Gun Works).

EDIT: It may be that I just got an exceptional Uberti, because Rugers probably have a better reputation I would guess, reading online.

StoneCat 09-22-2012 03:44 AM

I like the Ruger new vaquero. Mostly because it uses a transfer bar safety, and that means I can carry with a full cylinder. Colts, as well as similarly designed guns, can discharge if the hammer is down on a loaded cylinder if the hammer gets bumped...

And that's coming from John Taffin, btw....

tomingreeneco 09-22-2012 03:57 AM

I own 2 Vaquero and an Uberti repro. Both are fun to shoot and very accurate. New an Uberti is less expensive. In CAS I have been using the Uberti more, but only because it is the newer gun.