Whats the best gun for this situation? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Whats the best gun for this situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #31
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 215 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 116

How about a ruger sr22. Lightweight on both the recoil and action and its a moderately sized pistol as well.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #32

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Charter arms makes colored snub nosed revolvers. Blue, red, purple, pink, pink camo. They actually arent that bad, stick to standard velocity 38 loads and it should be fine. Another choice, if wanting semi-auto, would be the pocket sized Beretta tip-up barrel (21a).

Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #33

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

Yes... Great little guns. I just wish I had gotten mine in .22 instead if .25
The frame is the same, just need to get the magazine, barrel, and complete slide (should include firing pin, etc).

Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #34

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

From a girls point of view I agree with those suggesting a 22. Semi auto, Revolver, rifle? I say let her hold them and make that choice herself. But if you want her to have a good time, not be scared by the noise, or intimidated by the recoil a 22 is a great choice.
I can't remember Learning how to shoot because I grew up on a farm and my father taught me at an early age. Now as a grown up, we are lucky enough to live by an excellent outdoor range. When I want to run a lot of rounds through a gun it's always my SR22. It's fun! I can shoot all day without hurting my hands or my wallet. I love to shoot but I'm still a girl. My arms and wrists could never hold up to 300 or more rounds of my other higher caliber guns.
I also love my dads 22 Beretta for the same reason.
Now a "girl" pointer for clambering a round. Assuming all safety measures- Most men have the strength to hold the gun still in one hand and pull the slide back with the fingers of the other. Many girls don't have the hand strength to do so. Instead (assuming she is right handed) if she turns her body slightly sideways with the gun pointing to her left and keeping the barrel pointed down range she can use both hands pushing toward each other to chamber that first round. I also recommend palming her left hand against the slide. Not fingers to thumb but fingers to palm. When I do it, it's almost like I'm holding the slide in place and pushing the gun forward with my stronger arm. This method has never failed me.
Sorry my response was so long winded. Good luck and have fun!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #35

Oooops, should have read all the posts first. Looks like others said the same thing about clambering that first round. Glad to see others need to do the same thing now and then.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #36

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthD View Post
I love to shoot but I'm still a girl.
Please do not stereotype all of us.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #37

Didn't mean any disrespect. Honestly. I'm a tomboy, do triathlons, and am stronger than most girls. But facts are facts and the physical make up of the male body is always going to be stronger. Part of this is just size.
I just wanted to be of some help to a girl that IS having some trouble clambering the first round. Please don't be offended.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #38

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts

I wasnt offended. And yes, we will always generally be physically weaker because of our size and body types. But, I am not a big girl. Im short and thin, but if I can handle a few hundred rounds of .45ACP, any woman can. It all comes down to technique. We are not talking about a .500 S&W Mag here, we are talking about pistol calibers that number in the four to five hundred ft.lbs range. I am however not saying that she shouldn't start out with a .22. They are great for plinking, and learning the fundamentals.

As I said earlier, technique. Many women will not be able to chamber a round using the same technique as a burly man. Simply grabbing hold of the slide and pulling back just wont work for many women. So you have to look at different techniques. Like the one I mentioned. Instead of using the strength of one hand, use both. Push while you pull.

And also, as I said earlier. The smaller the gun, the stronger the recoil spring. If you have a subcompact in .45 you are going to likely find it more difficult to work cause the recoil spring is heartier than a larger gun in the same caliber because of the reduced weight of the slide.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-30-2012 at 03:32 PM.