Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Whats the best gun for this situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Ruger makes an LCR in .22.

-Matt

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #22

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if she cant chanber a semi auto the 38 special will be a bit too much punch for her too
i would look at a 327 chambered relovers

Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #23

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

As has been said, felt recoil depends on the weight of the gun. Working the action does not. But, smaller pistols do tend to have heartier recoil springs to deal with the reduced weight of the slide.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #24

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
How about a beretta tomcat or bobcat. They are available in .22, .25, or .32. They are small frame pocket semi auto pistols that have a tip up barrel so you do t need to rack the slide to load a round, just tip up the barrel and you're good to go.
Yes... Great little guns. I just wish I had gotten mine in .22 instead if .25

Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #25

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
if she cant chanber a semi auto the 38 special will be a bit too much punch for her too
i would look at a 327 chambered relovers
I haven't seen many 38spl semi-auto's please show us one

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #26

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
I haven't seen many 38spl semi-auto's please show us one

Yeah sometimes I have brain farts too. Its ok.

I am pretty sure that he was saying that if she does not have the strength to work the action on an auto loader then she may not have the strength to control a .38 spc wheel gun.

But anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_52

Colt also made a 1911 national match in .38 spc. Then there are several more but I don't think I need to list them all. Do I?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-27-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7821 Times on 4513 Posts
Likes Given: 10063

There is also .38 Super.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 223 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Start her with a 22lr...that'll be doing your part in promoting a positive experience for her. Unless she has severe arthritis or some other level of disability, I think you'll find the video C3 linked above will probably address the issue of racking the slide. Stength can be an issue, but finding the proper method is usually the primary issue in such cases.

I think the suggestion of a Ruger SR22 is a fine one. It would be where I'd start, anyway. And if the fuller frame size isn't a problem, S&W's M&P22 is equal to the Ruger in my opinion...it's just a bigger gun.

There are also plenty of good rimfire revolvers from S&W and Ruger.

Getting a good defense caliber, the right trigger, accessories, etc can wait. For now keep it simple and bank on a 22lr to facilitate her success.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Also, please watch the grip. Now they teach finger along slide for semi-auto. If she does that with a revolver hurt happens. A discouraging experience.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #30

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Try the Ruger MKIII. If she doesn't want a 22lr get the Ruger SP101. It has enough weight to it to help with the recoil of .38 specials.