Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Whats the best gun for this situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 625

if shes completely new to the firearm scene start with this order:
.22 rifle
AR-15
.22 pistol
then a larger caliber pistol of her choosing

you need to start slow, so she can at least learn proper, safe shooting techniques and get used to the idea that guns aren't going to hurt her or make her flinch. after that then you can let HER decide what she wants to try next. my wife often watches me shoot something first so she can see how its going to react. like how much recoil, report it has and how i handle it. then she decides if she wants to try it.

using this method she went from slightly scaredof guns but tolerable of me having them to going and buying her own, and going shooting at the range all by herself.
shes is learning pistols right now as thats a little harder but witha rifles she loves it because she actually hits what shes aiming at and that is always a great confidence builder.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

How about a beretta tomcat or bobcat. They are available in .22, .25, or .32. They are small frame pocket semi auto pistols that have a tip up barrel so you do t need to rack the slide to load a round, just tip up the barrel and you're good to go.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2645 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
How about a beretta tomcat or bobcat. They are available in .22, .25, or .32. They are small frame pocket semi auto pistols that have a tip up barrel so you do t need to rack the slide to load a round, just tip up the barrel and you're good to go.
IMO, I would get something physically larger. The sight radius is longer and builds confidence faster.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #14

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Pick her up a used S&W model 10 4" heavy barrel 38 special. I watched most police women shooting them for almost 20 years with few having any problems. The real small women used the round butt with 3" barrel. Giving her an auto, regardless of the calibre, as a first gun is not very safe and holds true for a guy as well. Also, the heavy barrel will reduce recoil and with standard 148 grain wadcutters should be easy getting used to. This was my service revolver that I've been shooting since the late 60's.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #15

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Ive got to parrot what many have said by saying that wheel guns can be great carry pieces for new shooters.

But I will also say that even if she lacks the hand and grip strength to rack the slide the way most men do, does not mean that she can not work the action properly. You just have to have her go about it differently.

Instead of having her simply hold the grip in one hand and work the slide by pulling back with the other hand, have her hold the piece in front of her with it aimed down range, and while she pulls back, push with the other hand. Twice the force, half the work.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelazaughra View Post
I'm trying to get my girlfriend into the whole firearms thing. I've let her try racking the slide on multiple semi-auto handguns but she just doesn't have quite enough strength to camber a round. So I'm thinking a revolver would be an easy fix, but with so many options to choose from which route should we take? I've seen the S&W Bodyguard .38 special. I like the no hammer concept. What else might we try?
I had the same problem with my 67 year old girl friend. Great bod, no strength. She couldn't rack the slide on my Ruger SR40C, but she truly enjoyed shooting. So she shot my Ruger GP100 a lot and wanted her own gun. We ended up getting her a Ruger LCR 38 special ($399), not the 357 ($499). It is one sweet gun and really fun to shoot. We've put over 2000 rounds through it in 2 months. I reload for both of us, but it was tough keeping up as we were practicing defensive drills so much. I have a shooting range on my property so we shoot A LOT ! So we also get her a Ruger LCR 22 ($449). Now there's a very practical monetary reason for owning two Ruger LCR's in 22 and 38 caliber. This point is covered in one of the below videos.

The LCR 38 Special is light as a potato chip, reliable as dirt, butter smooth trigger, and accurate as all heck. I use to compete in combat pistol matches and bowling pin shoots. And, I'm a retired teacher, so I taught her how to shoot her new guns. She's deadly and quick on pie plates at 21 feet. Don't believe the myth that a mouse gun or a snubby is hard to shoot or inaccurate. It just takes some "proper and patient training". The nice thing about a revolver is there are no safeties or malfunctions to deal with. Ya pull the trigger and it goes BANG! My girl friend shoots her LCR 22 about 75% of the time and her LCR 38 Special about 25% of the time. They're almost exactly the same so she builds muscle memory with either gun. She just loves them both. My girl friend preferred the stock grips on both guns over any of the aftermarket grips. The 38 is her bedside gun and the 22 is her New York reload. Don't get all caught up in the power or caliber thing. Hornady Critical Defense 38 Special ammo will get the job done with plenty of authority. (But practice with the cheap stuff.)

Truth be told, there are a whole bunch of nice guns which your girl friend could handle just fine, so it just boils down to her personal preference. But I can only relate my personal and very extensive experience with the LCR in 22 and 38 caliber. Just get her what ever she wants and can handle, which might be different then what you want her to have.

One further note. I'm not a believer in laser sights as they're no substitute for good marksmanship skills. But that's just me. Others may have a different opinion of them. My girl friend does just fine without one. She can out shoot almost all guys because they don't practice, and she does, A LOT ! And I really mean A LOT because she just loves the shooting sport. She can easily go through a box of 500 22's in two days. Now that's cheap practice ! ! ! As mentioned in the video, when practicing with the 22, load it with just 5 rounds (it holds 8), as that's all you'd have in the 38.

Watch the vids and notice how little the 38 recoils in the top video. Unlike a lot of guns in this genre, it's grip completely encases the back strap and there's a blue spongy material inside the grip which covers the backstrap and really helps to reduce the felt recoil. Also notice it's long range accuracy. Before you buy anything, go to youtube and do a search on any gun you're interested in. You will find a ton of really excellent gun review videos, including concealed carry for women.

Happy shooting and Semper Fi

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 09-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #17

Let me add that she is 5'2" about 110 pounds. I don't know if that makes a significant difference as to what firearms would best suit her.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelazaughra View Post
Let me add that she is 5'2" about 110 pounds. I don't know if that makes a significant difference as to what firearms would best suit her.
As has been said, physically larger firearms generally will have less felt recoil with similar ammunition. Of course, she has to be able to lift it and hold it on target. She should try a variety at a range with rentals if possible. If you have to pick one for her, it would be like trying to pick a bra she would really like, long odds. I do love the soft shooting of my GP100 with .38 target loads, but with its 6" barrel, it might be left as the "range gun" should she want to concealed carry.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #19

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would get her a model 60 marlin. let her get the basics down. I have never had anyone say no when I asked if I could shoot their gun a few times. after a while she will shoot a gun she likes. My wife is pretty small after she got some experience her favorite gun is a ruger blackhawk chambered in 357 with a 6.5" barrel. I know very small woman that carries a judge chambered in 454 casull. She shoots it a lot. She has a LCP she carries when she is dressed for a night on the town.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

therewolf Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #20

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

OK, I'm a geezer, but I agree with OC.

Start her on 22LRs. Rifles and pistols with some weight to

them, till she gets accustomed to shooting and recoil.

But let her select her own pistol, after she's

tried a lot of alternatives.