Whats the best gun for this situation?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Whats the best gun for this situation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats the best gun for this situation?

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into the whole firearms thing. I've let her try racking the slide on multiple semi-auto handguns but she just doesn't have quite enough strength to camber a round. So I'm thinking a revolver would be an easy fix, but with so many options to choose from which route should we take? I've seen the S&W Bodyguard .38 special. I like the no hammer concept. What else might we try?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelazaughra View Post
I'm trying to get my girlfriend into the whole firearms thing. I've let her try racking the slide on multiple semi-auto handguns but she just doesn't have quite enough strength to camber a round. So I'm thinking a revolver would be an easy fix, but with so many options to choose from which route should we take? I've seen the S&W Bodyguard .38 special. I like the no hammer concept. What else might we try?
The Ruger SR22 would do nicely, it is very easy to chamber and the training would cross over well for other semi auto's.

My GF loves her's, I did a short write up on it here.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/first-impressions-ruger-sr22-pistol-70699/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #3

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

What about a medium sized .380? It's mild to shoot, and it could double as a carry gun. I like the 38 special too for this purpose. Heratage arms makes a Single Action 22 revolver that's quite inexpensive.

If you have the option though, put her behind a rifle first. The first rifle I shot was a .30-30 and it was a wallop, but it was fun because I could actually hit **** with it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

I would not buy anything without first having her shoot as many as you can manage to find available. One of them will resonate with her for whatever reason. I always start them off with a .22 (both revolver and semi-auto) and work them up in caliber whatever I have available. The .380 is a great choice, as is a .38 Special. You never know, she might like a .40!

FYI, if you have her work with a semi-auto that has had 1000 rounds or so through it you will find that the slide is easier to operate when they are well broken in.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Rifle ......

Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

While I carry a J frame S&W, those little pocket guns have a LOT of felt recoil- and may not be the best gun for a novice shooter-

A Ruger 22 pistol may be a good first gun- easy to rack, accurate as hell, very mild recoil.

As far as racking the slide on what you already have, have HER watch this-

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3104 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

When racking a slide, sometimes it is easier to "push" the lower with the dominate hand than "pull" the slide with the non-dominate hand.

I have a S&W Mdl 12 (lightweight frame) in .38 Special. With the 130 gr bullets, it is very manageable with recoil. I cannot fire +P rounds in it, but I'm okay with that.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #8

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy the gun for her and not you. Revolver is manageable with recoil with the proper load.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7788 Times on 4676 Posts
Likes Given: 9780

I think a revolver is a very good first gun. It's mechanism is so much simpler and less intimidating. You open the cylinder and know right away if it's unloaded. No forgetting anything that could put you in danger. My first gun was a GP100 but that may be a little more kick than she's ready for. As others have said, let her try a few out and decide what she likes.

As I got more familiar and less intimidated by guns, I was able to rack slides better. I realized I'd have to quit being dainty and just rack the darned thing. I do use the method shown in the video C3 posted. As I get older my hands are becoming weaker.

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A 38 special would be good if she has a lot of trigger time on a 22
If she has no experience a ruger single 10, single six convertible, or the new single 9 would all be great starter guns.