What are your thoughts about taurus? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > What are your thoughts about taurus?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Every Manufacture turns out a not so perfect gun once in awhile. I never had a problem with my used Taurus auto. Never even one glitch with it. I buggered up the rear sight and Taurus fixed it for free (and also replaced some other parts) under their life-time warranty. I've had to return a Marlin 44 Mag rifle, and a Ruger 44 Mag revolver to the factory for repairs under warranty. But I still buy both of these brands. I would have no problem buying a Taurus again.

Semper Fi

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52953

my opinion is purely my own and is from my experiance with them. i have owned several different ones over the years and currently own one, an older Tracker 44. so far it has functioned perfectly, as did all the previous ones i owned before.

my LGS won't stock them anymore, because of past problems with the ones he has sold. he will only order them if the customer absolutely has to have one, but he will not recommend them. based on this, and from some other reports of defective firearms from people who own them, i personally would be hesitant about buying a new one. my brother purchased a new Judge a couple of years ago, and so far has performed very well so far, with not any problems.

this is my personal opinion on the possible problem. i think there could be a Q/C problem. any maker of a product can make a bad item, but it is the responsibility of Q/C to weed out the bad items before they ever make it to the retailer and then the consumer. i also believe some of it is internet rumours or myths and are probably exagerated to some extent. but, given that, there has to be some truth to this for the rumours to exist.

so my advice would be, if considering buying a Taurus pistol, check it out carefully and proceed carefully.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #23

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You get what you pay for.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8109 Times on 4683 Posts
Likes Given: 10477

There was a thread over on the Texashuntingforum I believe where a Taurus had the cylinder and entire top strap blown off when the owner fired some factory ammo in the gun. Terrifying failure to be sure. I have seen similar failures with overpressure handloads, but never with factory.

(I just tried to link it but my security software says it is a harmful site- not gonna risk it)

Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #25

I own two Taurus pistols. The judge and a pt 1911 38 super. I love them both. never a jam or misfire on either one. Best bang for the buck ever.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #26

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

My USSOCOM pt24/7 oss tactical long slide is a work of art. Made to surpass ussocom standards for our special forces. Best trigger ever. Match grade barrel. novak sights. Dont let anyone tell you taurus is crap.

forumrunner_20120922_210449.jpg

forumrunner_20120922_210506.jpg

Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #27

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea they aren't crap, just can't get it right after 5 years. Lol. If you spend money on a Taurus make sure it's one of the higher end models and not an average firearm. Don't shortcut it like I did.

image-4179791201.jpg  

Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #28
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
There was a thread over on the Texashuntingforum I believe where a Taurus had the cylinder and entire top strap blown off when the owner fired some factory ammo in the gun. Terrifying failure to be sure. I have seen similar failures with overpressure handloads, but never with factory.

(I just tried to link it but my security software says it is a harmful site- not gonna risk it)
VikingDad,

I call B*llsh*t (nothing personal, of course!). :-0 Companies that made the little .25 cals that blew up in our hands 30 years ago were driven out of business by the fact they were unsafe, or made to modernize and be as safe as the big boys. Today, I don't believe there is a major firearms manufacturer that can have a gun detonated by factory ammo. Everyone, knows, understands and religiously follows SAAMI guidelines and the purity of metals and the standards in machining is four time better than it once was.

I can't imagine the catastrophic failure necessary to get an out-of-spec factory round and get it onto a poorly manufactured firearm from a major manufacturer. Anything like this has to be operator error to be explainable.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have owned several Taurus revolvers and have never had anything but good things to say about them. My main. CCW snubbie is a Taurus, sold a S&W Airweight and kept the Taurus. Better trigger on the Brazillian gun!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I had a Taurus 85 I got used for a great deal because previous owner couldn't stand to shoot it.

Worked flawlessly.

I no longer have it because I couldn't stand to shoot it.

But that's a function of the heavy trigger pull and light weight pounding.