What are your thoughts about taurus? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > What are your thoughts about taurus?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I own three Taurus, all auto, TCP, 92AFS, 1911SS, absolutely no problems, and they get a work out. You can't beat a life time warranty.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I love a lifetime warranty best when it never has to be used. I have gotten Ruger to send me parts for my guns that I have lost! Now that is customer service that I daresay you will not find from Taurus (this is hearsay on my part, not personal experience).

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I love a lifetime warranty best when it never has to be used. I have gotten Ruger to send me parts for my guns that I have lost! Now that is customer service that I daresay you will not find from Taurus (this is hearsay on my part, not personal experience).
Well they tried to make me pay to ship it to them...considering I live 15mins from the place I would be shipping it to let's just say I wasn't happy, so they paid my shipping to them after explaining how rediculous it is to charge me to ship it to them when I could drive it to them myself. Don't get me wrong lifetime warranties are awesome...but better when not used. I'm sure customer service is Wayyyy better with ruger but luckily I haven't had to use em for my lc9 yet...one of the firearms I trust. Lol

Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #14

I have several Rugers, both long guns and handguns, and I have never had to have any of them warrantied. I do have a recently acquired Single Six that I need to send in for the transfer bar update (this is done for free but I have to pay for shipping) and I want to have a magnum cylinder fitted for it at the same time because it did not come with one when I bought it used. I bet that I could deliver it directly to Ruger if I lived 15 minutes away from them no problem.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #15

Marlin on the other hand is a pain in the ass. I don't think I will ever buy another Marlin product, even though I love the ones I have. I bought my son a 795 that came with a defective magazine and they said I had to get it replaced at the retailer (Big 5), the retailer said they would have to send it in and we would have to wait until Marlin sent them a new one- several weeks later! This despite the fact that I could demonstrate the defect in the store unloaded. The magazine catch was not formed properly so the magazine would not load and fall out when it was cycled. Anyhow, I kept the magazine, Big 5 called Marlin and asked them to send a replacement, I purchased a spare in the meantime and then I called Marlin (played Hell finding a number for them!) and complained. They sent me a new mag, plus a couple of buffers for my Model 60 because I complained about being unable to find them anywhere, as long as I promised that I would still consider buying a new Marlin in the future...

End of it all was that I spent a couple of hours total, what with driving into town to Big 5, surfing the Internet for the phone number and complaining on the phone------ but I ended up with three magazines in the end! It took work though.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #16

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

When it comes to Taurus, it's hard to get past all the Internet BS and past all the haters to get to the REAL story. Of course nobody is going to admit to doing this, but I'm confident that a good percentage of Taurus horror stories are exaggerate and/or borrow from thing read on some other forum that is being passed off as direct experience.

Of course Taurus has their share of guns that are problematic. But so does every other maker. The beloved Sturm Ruger also (my brand new SR9c had some serious problems out of the box and had to be sent back for work). And people complain about horrible customer service at Taurus. The opposite was true for me. They were polite and accommodating and fixed the one problem I had. I have to wonder how many of these horror stories are also exaggerated and borrowed. And I also wonder about the attitudes of people going into these calls. If you call madder than a hornet and making demands, I'd say your experience would be different from someone being calm and respectful. No matter who you are calling.

I'm not a Taurus lover or hater. But I try to help people understand you can't always believe what you read on the Internet. I had a black 1911 that the ambi broke on. Called CS and they sent me a call tag to get it shipped back. Took a couple weeks and it was back good as new. The finish was thin and prone to rusting so I traded it for a stainless version. Had it for several years now. I'm at over 5500 rounds and no problems. Pretty good gun in my book. My old man has a large frame revolver in .44 Mag. Bluing on the gun is superb. Trigger is a little gritty, but for the money it's a very good gun. He's never had a problem with it either.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1442 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 627

My EDC gun 20-years ago was a PT-99SS and never had one problem shooting it. It was accurate with most brands of ammo as well. Never had an FTFire, FTFeed or FTE. That is my personal experience.

As an FFL holder, customers were constantly complaining about cost. After explaining who Taurus was and what they did, many would opt for a Taurus, usually a semi. I would tell tuem to bring it back to me if they had any problems and I would ship it back to Taurus, if necessary. After five years of selling dozens of guns, o e finally came in. The guy had shot it so much something had come loose in the trigger and broken. I sent it back and two weeks later it came back not only repaired, but they had chamfered the bore, polished the feed ramp and it had two extra magazines with it. Customer REAL happy!

I'm not sure wh Taurus has become the whipping boy of the industry, but I'd encourage you to purchase and make your own evaluation. I qualified for my CCW with a Taurus, own three, but I'm no fanboy. If it was a dog, I'd tell ya!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuracyman101 View Post
Just wanna know what you guys are thinking about the manufacturer Taurus .
Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. We got a revolver that locked the cylinder crane if the crane screw wasn't backed off a half turn. The internal parts looked like they were made with scrap metal. Very porous.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #19

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

I just never liked them for some odd reason.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I've seen way more come in to the shops I've worked at and into my own that we're broke than were ever working properly. I even made the mistake a few times before and purchased them. Do yourself a favor and buy a smith or whatever they are copying and be happy with it.