Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   What would be any tip of concern of firing a hundred year old pistel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/what-would-any-tip-concern-firing-hundred-year-old-pistel-89077/)

MrDutton892 04-18-2013 02:05 PM

What would be any tip of concern of firing a hundred year old pistel

I was wondering if there would be any concern fir shooting a hundred year old revolver

rhyno13 04-18-2013 02:10 PM

Yeah there can be some serious concerns. I would have it thoroughly checked out by a qualified gunsmith before I fired it.

MrDutton892 04-18-2013 02:37 PM

Ok I know through inspection we noticed a couple parts worn down a bit

HOSSFLY 04-18-2013 03:12 PM

It wud help to know--Maker- Style- Caliber?

danf_fl 04-18-2013 03:17 PM

Remember that .38 does not mean .38 special may be correct ammo.

Get the correct ammo! (After having it checked out)

c3shooter 04-18-2013 05:32 PM

1. That you have the correct ammo, in the correct caliber. Would refrain from any +++PPP+++ fodder for that one.
2. Timing is good, lockup of cylinder when in battery is good.
3. Condition of forcing cone and bore.

And FWIW, I have one .22 revolver that I shoot now and again that is older than the .22 LR cartridge. WELL over 100. It is in good shape, shoots fine. With Shorts.

duddie10 04-18-2013 07:21 PM

You have a pic? I just love old guns. Every one here is right take a good amount of precausion when firi g old guns. Check what caliber it is the metal fatigue and any signs of aged stress. A good smith could tell you if shes good to go and most of them could recomend how to make or where to get ammo for the firearm.

Bob Wright 04-18-2013 08:29 PM

First and foremost, check the gun for functioning. Make sure the cylinder rotates and locks up tight. Make sure the hammer stays cocked and does not fall without pulling the trigger.

Examine the bore and chambers carefully. Older revolvers were fired with mercuric primers, and the mercury causes the steel to deteriorate.

If all seems well, fire the gun using blackpowder ammunition or smokeless ammunition that is the mildest available. Smokeless was in use a hundred years ago, but if you gun is much older, confine it to blackpowder ammunition.

If you're in doubt about anything, have a gunsmith check it over, and heed his advice!

Bob Wright

hiwall 04-18-2013 10:55 PM

I have shot way over a hundred guns that were made hundred years ago(or more). Your question can hardly be answered unless we know what gun it is. Is it a muff pistol? A dueler? A Colt Cloverleaf? A Colt Pocket? A Merwin and Hulbert? A Remington Smoot?

HOSSFLY 04-18-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
I have shot way over a hundred guns that were made hundred years ago(or more). Your question can hardly be answered unless we know what gun it is. Is it a muff pistol? A dueler? A Colt Cloverleaf? A Colt Pocket? A Merwin and Hulbert? A Remington Smoot?

That is what I was referring to -
It's like asking if expired milk is ok to drink .