What Have I Got?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > What Have I Got?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What Have I Got?

I just purchased a revolver from someone at a yard sale and have no idea what it is. The barrel is stamped with 38 LONG CTG with what looks like 2 short triangles and a long sideways triangle coming together at the apex on both sides of the stamp. The frame has 2 large screws and 1 small screw with 2 press fit pins. The grips are the cheapy plastic type that are the cream colored bakelite with brown in the grooves. The serial number 274 is stamped on the frame inside the grips, the cylinder, the trigger, and under the barrel. The curved and bent piece of metal inside the hand frame that acts like a spring for the trigger is broken and I need to find a replacement, but I don't have any idea who manufactured the piece. Anyone have any clues?

imag0002.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Please stop by the Introductions section when you get the chance.
It's hard to tell from that pic, could you post a pic that shows the whole gun?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

+1
Also, a firearm has two sides.
Open the cylinder and see if there are any stampings in the crane area.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7194 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 8772

Maybe this is a 'none of my business' question but I just have to ask. How much do you pay for a gun at yard sale? I didn't even know you could sell a gun at a yard sale. Nice find!!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

WoC, I suspect the reason one does not see too many handguns at yard sales is that there is a good possibility of selling a firearm to someone who can not purchase one legally.
Should the BATF catch wind of such a sale (to someone unauthorized), I would hate to be the seller.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8962 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Welcome to the foums.

First, in most of the US, it is perfectly legal to sell a gun at a yardsale or flea market. BATF gets involved if you are doing so many as to be "engaging in the business", or if you sell to someone YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN was ineligible to own a gun.

To the original poster- .38 Long was an older cartridge that precedes the 38 Special. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT 38 Specials in your revolver. Likely to result in damage to your revolver, self, innocent bystanders, etc. There was a version made in South America as a .38 Largo that was for BLACK POWDER cartridges only.

Get us some good pics, ALL OF THE MARKINGS on the gun, will try to help you ID.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its hard to tell from the image but looking at the tapered barrel, obvious S&W influences, and the caliber; I guess that it is probably an Orbea Hermanos, a spanish copy of 1905 S&W that was made in 38 Long

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-17-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #8

Here are a couple more pics to help try to identify the revolver. There are no markings in the crane area. I paid $75 for it, believing full well that the gun is probably worthless, but would function more as a decorative wall hanging to somone's camp than an actual firearm (though I would like to have it in working order, at least). The owner uncovered it while removing part of an estate and the transaction I had with him was that I get first refusal on any other guns that he comes across. Apparently the estate was that of a gunsmith hobbiest and the guy said that there are many other guns left in the residence. So it was more of a $75 good will gesture, but hey, tell me the gun is a rare item worth hundreds and I'll be even happier!

103_1185.jpg   103_1186.jpg   103_1190.jpg  

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8962 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Orbea

Does the logo look anything like this mark of the Orbea Brothers?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Orbea

Does the logo look anything like this mark of the Orbea Brothers?
C3 you never cease to amaze me...you have an encyclopedic knowledge of firearms that seems unstumpable... Not to imply that you are a slouch either Mesinge2...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-18-2011 at 02:07 AM.