What caliber? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > What caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3054 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Lew Horton had a lot of different, non-production guns made by S&W. It would not surprise me if they had a 3" 66. I had a 3" 657 that was a handy little fire breather.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 193 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Don't be impressed by Walther pairing up with S&W. The little Walther P22 sold by S&W is not that big a deal. The companies joining was more for money reasons than making good pistols. I don' know what year it was, but there was a change in the amount of handwork and finish that was put into the old S&Ws. You don't see the deep mirror bluing of the earlier Smiths. And prewar Walthers were nice, but quality decreased during the war, and I don't think they ever got it back. Neither have the hand work of the earlies. They are just coasting along on their name fame. Old Colts are good, but they have even gone the way of S&W by selling their name to put on a 22 cal. M4 copy. You should see what kind of pot metal goes in to those things. Buy an older revolver,snub nose if you are going to hide it, Yeah, they only have 5 rounds. If you have practiced, how many rounds do you think you need. How often will it really come up that you need more. If you have to plan for the worst, carry fifty rounds in your pocket A big gun is a hard thing to hide unless you want to run around in your winter coat all the time. And then your think you need an extra magazine to hide too. There are guys I know who carry concealed, but what it amounts to is, when you move, you "flash" your weapon to the world. Unless you are into this, and feel the need to show you are armed to the world, you defeat the concept of "concealed" and, heaven prevent it the guy who is your individual risk sees it, you are right a way behind if anything happens, I myself don't carry. I have in the past, and felt real silly pulling out a micro-sized .22 revolver, but it got me through with out getting killed, or killing someone. I am older now, have seen a lot of gunshot wounds at work, and have thought a lot about taking human life. At my advanced age, I don't know that my life is more valuable than someone else's. This concealed carry is part of the right to defend yourself, but has also become a fashion statement for some, who like to show, even if it is a flash, that they are a force to be reckoned with, and given an education through cop shows on TV, feel the need to be ready to intercede. I think that if you are going to carry, you should carry small, just big enough to do the job, that no one will ever see, or suspect you have. You also have to get past the idea of constantly thinking about "going packed" and be smart about your surroundings. Unless you wear a badge for a living, you do not have to go where you would not feel safe going unarmed. That was the end of my rant. What was the question again?

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Colby Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxexquis View Post
Hello,

You might of seen my other posts in general handgun discussion. I have been looking at Walthers.

I am a beginner with guns and was told that a revolver is a good gun to start with. I defiantly want to go with a Smith and Wesson, just because right now they are kinda of paired with Walther and I am a big fan of Walther.

I was looking at them on the S&W website.

So for a begginner, what caliber or kind of bullet do you recomend for me.

I want something good enough for home defense and good for practicing at the range. I also will be carrying this gun sometimes, so I would like something fairly concealable.

So first, what type of caliber should I get? I presume .357 Magnum is too powerful for a beginner Second, out of all the S&W revolvers, which one would you recommend me?

I am still considering the Walther PPS, but I thought maybe I will add a nice revolver to that consideration.

Thanks,
John
I wouldnt completely write off 357's. The beauty of them is that you can load a 357 with a 38 round and it works flawlessly. This is great to get yourself used to shooting the revolver. For HD, you can load with either 38 or 357 and still be very protected.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't over look a used Ruger Security Six or the GPS 100's double actions...the Security Six is that one gun I hear "I wish I wouldn't have sold it" the most...great firearms for the money and built like tanks...shoots both .38 and .357's

Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #25

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Don't be impressed by Walther pairing up with S&W. The little Walther P22 sold by S&W is not that big a deal. The companies joining was more for money reasons than making good pistols. I don' know what year it was, but there was a change in the amount of handwork and finish that was put into the old S&Ws. You don't see the deep mirror bluing of the earlier Smiths. And prewar Walthers were nice, but quality decreased during the war, and I don't think they ever got it back. Neither have the hand work of the earlies. They are just coasting along on their name fame. Old Colts are good, but they have even gone the way of S&W by selling their name to put on a 22 cal. M4 copy. You should see what kind of pot metal goes in to those things. Buy an older revolver,snub nose if you are going to hide it, Yeah, they only have 5 rounds. If you have practiced, how many rounds do you think you need. How often will it really come up that you need more. If you have to plan for the worst, carry fifty rounds in your pocket A big gun is a hard thing to hide unless you want to run around in your winter coat all the time. And then your think you need an extra magazine to hide too. There are guys I know who carry concealed, but what it amounts to is, when you move, you "flash" your weapon to the world. Unless you are into this, and feel the need to show you are armed to the world, you defeat the concept of "concealed" and, heaven prevent it the guy who is your individual risk sees it, you are right a way behind if anything happens, I myself don't carry. I have in the past, and felt real silly pulling out a micro-sized .22 revolver, but it got me through with out getting killed, or killing someone. I am older now, have seen a lot of gunshot wounds at work, and have thought a lot about taking human life. At my advanced age, I don't know that my life is more valuable than someone else's. This concealed carry is part of the right to defend yourself, but has also become a fashion statement for some, who like to show, even if it is a flash, that they are a force to be reckoned with, and given an education through cop shows on TV, feel the need to be ready to intercede. I think that if you are going to carry, you should carry small, just big enough to do the job, that no one will ever see, or suspect you have. You also have to get past the idea of constantly thinking about "going packed" and be smart about your surroundings. Unless you wear a badge for a living, you do not have to go where you would not feel safe going unarmed. That was the end of my rant. What was the question again?
This is the best post on concealed carry that I have seen on this forum!

Small is essential to concealed carry - else you will end up not carrying - as I suspect most of the big gun buyers end up.

The danger that you add to yourself and society is real. Try to find a gun that is not so dangerous... don't use guns with "safeties" that are on the trigger! People shoot themselves and others accidentally much more frequently with that kinda stuff.

Use proper holsters and carry in less dangerous methods.

And there is a fashionability to concealed carry - and possibly flashing - and "ther force to be reckoned thinking - and a certain amount of machoism to cc and big guns.

And spending lots of money for questionable returns ... what can you say - it is everywhere - and about everything - guns, cars, phones, clothes, food, gasoline, windows, etc. You name it - and there is a whole set of snob versions that cost huge amounts of money that are designed (mostly by pricing) to appeal to the right personality types. Marketing...
Many people apparently are not familiar with the law of diminishing returns. Go to an economics reference - and look it up.

And the Walther P22 is a troubled gun with a very troubled past. (You can look that up, too)

Thanks to the referenced poster for an excellent input!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #26

Liked 432 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxexquis View Post
Would a 7 round be too much for concealed carry?
MHO, yes it's too big. I've got a L frame 686 7 shot, 5" barrel and the only way to CC it would be with a shoulder rig.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #27

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

S&w model 60, .357 mag. You can shoot standard 38 special. If can get on in 3" barrel that would be good.

@don, biggest difficulty is the total package, i wouldnt recommend anything longer than 4" for cc. 3" is better.

Last edited by phildenton; 12-15-2012 at 01:04 AM.