Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   What is the best kind of speed loader for concealed carry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/what-best-kind-speed-loader-concealed-carry-82041/)

LightningLoader 01-21-2013 05:17 PM

What is the best kind of speed loader for concealed carry?

I just got my concealed weapons permit recently (for obvious political reasons) and I carry a .357 magnum. I got an HKS speed loader to go with it and I am not hugely impressed. I understand that the nature of reloading a revolver is inherently slower than something like a 1911. But the bullets wobble inside the loader and sometimes I have to shake the loader to get the rounds in the cylinder. Are their speed loaders that don't have these kinds of issues? And more importantly, are there other negative sides to speed loaders that I am not seeing? Everyones input would be greatly appreciated.

Ross_The_Boss13 01-21-2013 05:32 PM

Why do u need a speed loader if u end up using ur gun the average distance of a engagement will be like 5 to 7 feet if u can't stop the guy with less than 2 round or if u can't shoot that well ur more of a danger to the public if ur shooting at someone and should be carrying a weapon (no need for a speed loader)

HOSSFLY 01-21-2013 05:47 PM

Well, i always used HKS but speedloaders are hard to conceal---

deadeye 01-21-2013 05:57 PM

I carry a revolver and ditched speedloaders for speedstrips a while ago. A little practice and they're almost as fast as speedloaders, plus they're a hell of a lot easier to carry every day. If you've never used them I recommend checking them out. They are very inexpensive, so not much invested if you decide you don't like them.

scottmac 01-21-2013 10:30 PM

If they're available for your gun, try the SafariLand loaders.

Instead of a big silver twist knob on top, they're spring loaded & latched ... so you feed the rounds into the cylinder and push to release 'em. Very quick and clean.

I used them for Python & other Colts and a S&W M27 & 586.

They cost a little more but they are that much better then the HKS (IMO).

fupuk 01-22-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross_The_Boss13 (Post 1103874)
Why do u need a speed loader if u end up using ur gun the average distance of a engagement will be like 5 to 7 feet if u can't stop the guy with less than 2 round or if u can't shoot that well ur more of a danger to the public if ur shooting at someone and should be carrying a weapon (no need for a speed loader)

If you dont mind me asking what weapon do you conseal?

deadeye 01-22-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross_The_Boss13 (Post 1103874)

This is an absolutely awful reply. In more ways than one.

drvsafe 01-22-2013 01:05 AM

I would say plus one on the speed strips. I always found that when using a speed loader not inserting the rounds all the way when using the speed loader allows for them to drop much quicker into the cylinder. I would stick the in 1/3 way and turn the lock to let them drop in.
It's not perfect and then again maybe that's why I sold my S&W mod 60.

Rick1967 01-22-2013 01:42 AM

There is no comparison between speed loaders and speed strips. Speed loaders are much faster. I used to compete with a 586. I used the HSK and Safariland brands, Safariland is a big step up. I highly recomend them.

Speed loaders do take practice. I used to practice by having 3 speedloaders full of dummy rounds. You could use snap caps. Do not use live rounds. I would have the loaders on my belt and the gun already loaded with the dummies. I would draw, empty the cylinder, reload, empty the cylinder, reload, empty the cylinder, reload.
I would do this over and over again.

I would never advise someone else to not carry a reload.

Cattledog 01-22-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1104484)
There is no comparison between speed loaders and speed strips. Speed loaders are much faster. I used to compete with a 586. I used the HSK and Safariland brands, Safariland is a big step up. I highly recomend them.

Speed loaders do take practice. I used to practice by having 3 speedloaders full of dummy rounds. You could use snap caps. Do not use live rounds. I would have the loaders on my belt and the gun already loaded with the dummies. I would draw, empty the cylinder, reload, empty the cylinder, reload, empty the cylinder, reload.
I would do this over and over again.

I would never advise someone else to not carry a reload.

I recently got a good deal on a used pair of speedloaders for my ruger. Ive been practicing a little but using live rounds sketches me out too much to try it fast. Do you have a lead on dummy 357/38spl rounds?