Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   What am i doing wrong? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/what-am-i-doing-wrong-63408/)

elglockeroloko30 04-28-2012 01:25 AM

What am i doing wrong?

1 Attachment(s)
So i started shooting only 7 months ago. My first guns (bought them just a week apart) were a .45 semi auto and a 2 inch barrel .357, the Taurus 617. At first i was way better with the revolver. Then, when i got my carry permit started carrying more and more, hence practicing more and more with a compact .40 semi auto, to a point that i stoped taking the revolver to the range. So when i decided to finally take it out of the box and shoot it i foud out that i need to aim like an inch lower than where i want to hit. This does not happen with my other revolvers including another .357 with a 6 inch barrel and a .38 with also a 2 inch barrel. So i wonder if im doing something wrong or it is normal with the 617 model(BTW it has fixed sights). Any advice woud be greatly appreciated!

Rick1967 04-28-2012 01:42 AM

It is not uncommon for a gun to have sights that are a little off. If you are hitting right on with the other revolvers, I would bet it is the gun.

HOSSFLY 04-28-2012 01:44 AM

You're not doing anything wrong-
Its called POA or POI - Different with any gun (OK, many are close but still different) -
Just get used to the POA or POI of each gun or learn to file or change sights :cool:

elglockeroloko30 04-28-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
You're not doing anything wrong-
Its called POA or POI - Different with any gun (OK, many are close but still different) -
Just get used to the POA or POI of each gun or learn to file or change sights :cool:

And what does it mean? (POA and POI)

HOSSFLY 04-28-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 (Post 784031)
And what does it mean? (POA and POI)

Sorry -
Point Of Aim
Point Of Impact

elglockeroloko30 04-28-2012 02:33 AM

I guess at first it did not happened because as i was learning i anticipated the shots and that's also why i guess i used to shoot low with my semi auto...

Bob Wright 04-28-2012 03:35 AM

If you are getting decent groups, you're probably not doing anything wrong. First thing comes to my mind is the ammunition. Switching to different weights of bullets will change your points of impact.

A lighter bullet weight, say 125 gr. JHP, will hit lower that the 158 gr. bullet. Make sure you're comparing the same ammunition.

You said you're having to aim an inch low, so you are shooting higher, likely using a heavier bullet.

Bob Wright

Tackleberry1 04-28-2012 03:48 AM

Going out on a limb here but your screen name leads me to suspect that your pistols are Glocks?

Glock have a much steeper grip angle than any other defensive pistol platform. This forces the Glock shooter to angle thier wrist down slightly to align the sights.

I'm not a Glock guy but I have seen Glock guys who knock the 10 ring with their pistols, miss low with revolvers AND other pistols.

Tack

winds-of-change 04-28-2012 06:03 AM

That little snubbie revolver on the top is a very nice looking gun.

elglockeroloko30 04-28-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Going out on a limb here but your screen name leads me to suspect that your pistols are Glocks?

Glock have a much steeper grip angle than any other defensive pistol platform. This forces the Glock shooter to angle thier wrist down slightly to align the sights.

I'm not a Glock guy but I have seen Glock guys who knock the 10 ring with their pistols, miss low with revolvers AND other pistols.

Tack

I do own 2 glocks but also own 3 Rugers, a S&W MP and 4 revolvers. The only one giving me trouble is the short barred .357 in the picture, the problem being that I'm missing high.