Went to the gun shop to buy a Taurus Model 66...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Went to the gun shop to buy a Taurus Model 66...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Went to the gun shop to buy a Taurus Model 66...

and I came home with this instead, Ruger GP100.

Was actually waiting for the guy trying to find the Taurus when my girlfriend stumbled across the Ruger. The Taurus was 460, the Ruger was only 500, so it seemed like a no brainer to me.

magnum.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Good buy. You really can't go wrong with Ruger. They make a very solid revolver. How about a range report when you get around to it?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #3

Thank you, I was very pleased to walk out of there with the Ruger.

What is a range report? Sorry i am very new to the hobby. Purchased my first handgun in the middle of 08.

Right after I got it I put around 24 .38 special rounds and 6 357 mag rounds through it. My g/f and I were both "impressed" with the magnum rounds. Even with the weight, the magnums are still not something I would want to shoot on a regular basis.

Planning to give it a real break in later today.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

A range report is a writeup on your trip to the range. When you break it in today, save the paperwork and post some pics. Don't forget to make a note of what distance you were shooting at and the type of ammo. Include how the gun performed, likes/dislikes, and just a general review.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I think you made an outstanding choice (Haters take note, I supported a Ruger purchase). The GP-100 will give you a lifetime of service. Is is a blued version? Kind of hard to tell from the pic.

IMHO shooting a lot of Magnum ammo through any revolver is simply a waste of money and helps to develop bad habits (anticipation and trigger jerking).

Make sure you save ALL your brass. You can reload later or trade it off to some one who does. When kept in a dry environment the brass (or nickle plated brass) will stay good for a hundred years or so.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

Will do on the range report. Can't wait to give it a real session, would have liked to do it yesterday but it was very windy. In spite of the wind I just had to put a few rounds through it or I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

Robocop thank you, I take it you are a s&w fan? Yes its the blued steel version, the picture was taken on a cell phone so its not the greatest quality.

I want to get started on reloading, after watching a couple youtube videos and doing some reading it seems like a great idea for anyone who shoots alot. The kits are relatively cheap at under 100 and probably pay for itself in a month considering the amount of shooting I have been doing.

Ill be back with my report in a few hours.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

Default Seems a little higher than Norm?

Forgive me if i missed it, but where are you at? That seems pretty high for either of those two weapons? What length barrel, and was it SS version? Sorry I just have to ask, not trying to deflate your find?
Thanks

Last edited by rugermike; 02-27-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typeing

Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #8

no problem mike, Im in northern NV. I priced the taurus at 4 places and 460 was the cheapest. Didn't price the ruger. It seems like in my area the prices are always higher than what I have read on the net. My glock 19 I got for 500, which I believe was a good deal, or at least standard price. It was $50 cheaper than anyplace else at the time. My ruger 22/45 mk3 was 350, again priced the specific model I got at several places and 350 was the best price. I don't know where you guys buy your guns, but everywhere I look locally the price is usually around 100 more than what Ive read other people are paying.

So I just got back from 'the range' or for me the desert. I put 42 .38 special rounds through the GP100, and 6 .357 mag rounds. All rounds were fired SA. My girlfriend put another 18 .38 special and 6 .357 mag rounds. All in all we were both very impressed with the gun, its a pleasure to shoot. My g/f who initially asked me "why would I buy a gun that only holds 6 rounds" has now decided that its her favorite gun in my collection.

Of course, I can't really compare it to anything as its my first and only revolver so I won't get into things such as trigger pull, but the gun feels great in my hands and I am definately happy with my purchase.

Took a few pictures of my targets. First 3 are American Eagle .38 special 158 grain lead round nose, 4th is Hornady .357 magnum 158 grain, 5th is the one clip I shot from my glock 19 and the last is a closeup on the bullseye from the glock 19 target.

All targets were shot from 12 yards, around 45F, with a light crosswind. All targets are 50-100 yard rifle targets on notebook size paper. Again, everything was shot SA, and the glock was shot 'semi' rapid fire.

Im still new so please take it easy on me. I know my groups aren't very good but I figure the torso of an average person is far bigger than a notebook size sheet of paper so as long as Im keeping them all on the paper, my shots are in the killzone. I am not happy with this, but all I can do is keep shooting and eventually I will get there.

2-27-.38spc.jpg   2-27-.38spc1.jpg   2-27-.38spc2.jpg   2-27-.357mag.jpg  

Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #9

here is the glock 19 target.

2-27-glock-19.jpg   2-27-glock-19-bullseye.jpg  

Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Nice shooting! You have a perfect attitude towards improving! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!