Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > weird/odd revolvers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts

Default weird/odd revolvers

ok so i collect weird and odd guns. and was wondering if anyone knew of some odd revolvers?

my 2 are autorevolvers.
the mateba unica 6
and the webley fosburry
the mateba is extra weird because the barrel is at the 6-o-clock position on the cylinder

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #2

Liked 220 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Mauser built one odd revolver, a zig-zag auto revolver similar to the Webley-Fosberry. And all of the Merwin Hulbert guns are odd in their extraction system. From the blackpowder, the Crispin revolver, with the rim in the middle of the case is one for the books.

And, all of the patent evasion guns made in the U.S. to circumvent Rollin White's patent would qualify as "odd."

And, the Dardick, or was it Dardwick, revolver, a magazine fed revolver firing triangular shaped "trounds" of ammunition. There was an adapter that allowed conventional .357 Magnum cartridges to be inserted and loaded into the magazine.

Come to think of it, there are very few things which haven't been tried by the designers.

Bob Wright

Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Similar to the Dardick, but much older- the .307 Schneelock Triangular Revolver Cartridge (no, really, I could not make that name up!)

Shown in Winant's Firearms Curiosa, the charge holes in the cylinder were triangular rather than round. Shape was sort of like cutting an orange in half, and looking at how the sections fitted into the round orange. Bore was triangular, rotating on its axis to spin the bullet. Find a copy of Winant's book- more weird guns than anything I have seen.

There have been revolvers with superposed loads (Walch 12 shooter- 2 loads in each charge hole- fire front load, then rear) and the Lemat- upper barrel for pistol bullets, lower barrel was shotgun.

And the Gyrojet Rocket pistol- cartridge was a solid fuel 45 cal rocket- hammer struck nose of bullet, driving it back on a fixed firing pin.

PS- I have ONE reproduction Crispin cartridge. Weirder than socks on a rooster!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Similar to the Dardick, but much older- the .307 Schneelock Triangular Revolver Cartridge (no, really, I could not make that name up!)

Shown in Winant's Firearms Curiosa, the charge holes in the cylinder were triangular rather than round. Shape was sort of like cutting an orange in half, and looking at how the sections fitted into the round orange. Bore was triangular, rotating on its axis to spin the bullet. Find a copy of Winant's book- more weird guns than anything I have seen.

There have been revolvers with superposed loads (Walch 12 shooter- 2 loads in each charge hole- fire front load, then rear) and the Lemat- upper barrel for pistol bullets, lower barrel was shotgun.

And the Gyrojet Rocket pistol- cartridge was a solid fuel 45 cal rocket- hammer struck nose of bullet, driving it back on a fixed firing pin.

PS- I have ONE reproduction Crispin cartridge. Weirder than socks on a rooster!

where can i find this book?

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Firearms Curiosa by Lewis Winant. It is out of print, but you can snag a copy over at amazon.com OR Failing that, have your local library request an inter-library loan. But trust me, this is one you will want to keep. Photography is black and white (old pictures, and old book) they would be marvellous in color. Another good one that you may get used is "US Cartridges and Their Handguns: by Chas. Suydam. Stuff I have never seen before- and a really great cartridge reference. And good photos of guns as well as ammo.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Firearms Curiosa by Lewis Winant. It is out of print, but you can snag a copy over at amazon.com OR Failing that, have your local library request an inter-library loan. But trust me, this is one you will want to keep. Photography is black and white (old pictures, and old book) they would be marvellous in color. Another good one that you may get used is "US Cartridges and Their Handguns: by Chas. Suydam. Stuff I have never seen before- and a really great cartridge reference. And good photos of guns as well as ammo.
thanks
ill probably keep an eye out at the gunshows
if i still cant find it ill turn to amazon
i really appreciate the info

Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 176 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp1987 View Post
ok so i collect weird and odd guns.

my 2 are autorevolvers.
the mateba unica 6
and the webley fosburry
You actually HAVE a Webley-Fosbery auto revolver and a Mateba?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
You actually HAVE a Webley-Fosbery auto revolver and a Mateba?
i wish
those are my 2 favorite odd guns
i don't own either yet i was just saying they were my submission.
im in the process of getting a mateba but it probably won't be until aug that i can get it. the webley fosbery on the other hand i don't think i could ever justify spending that much on them.

the 2 weirdest guns i own are
a webley mk4 with a safety on it
and a daisy vl rifle that shoots caseless 22 rounds

Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

You did know that your Daisy SORT of had a handgun ancestor? The Volcanic Repeating Pistol. Used a caseless cartridge of sorts.

BTW- there was an NRA reprint of Firearms Curiosa a few years back- they did a really nice job- green leather binding, gold page edges, and silk end papers in the book. If you see one of those reprints, snap it up. I got one about 5 yrs ago, it is the best LOOKING book in my library.

And just for plain butt ugly- ever see an Apache (French Apache, not American) pistol? Pinfire revolver with brass knucks and a spike dagger.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #10

Quote:
You did know that your Daisy SORT of had a handgun ancestor? The Volcanic Repeating Pistol. Used a caseless cartridge of sorts.

BTW- there was an NRA reprint of Firearms Curiosa a few years back- they did a really nice job- green leather binding, gold page edges, and silk end papers in the book. If you see one of those reprints, snap it up. I got one about 5 yrs ago, it is the best LOOKING book in my library.

And just for plain butt ugly- ever see an Apache (French Apache, not American) pistol? Pinfire revolver with brass knucks and a spike dagger.
yeah i know theres been a few other guns that shoot caseless rounds but i think that the daisy was the only one released to civilians and i think it might be the only one that was ignited by compressed air