Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I've been on a hunt for years for a late 1890's Colt SAA. Things is, most of those who own them think they are made of gold or something. They also don't understand that a gun with 3 different serial numbers that's been refinished by some knucklehead on a mission isn't worth 1/3rd of what it was before all that. There is a Ruger Blackhawk up at my LGS that comes with .45LC and .45ACP cylinders. I don't think it's ever been fired, $500 in the box. I've fondled it a few times, but I've just never much cared for the Ruger brand. No particular reason, just don't. Two guns that I've always wanted, a Colt SAA in 45, and a Winchester 94 30-30. I just got the 94 last week. Now I gotta find a Colt. The one I'd really like to have, I probably would have a difficult time getting myself to shoot it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

towboater Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #42
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

thread is pretty old but like some things a good SAA revolver is timeless.

my pref is for the ruger SAA. here are my pair in consecutive serial numbers

these are in 45 colt and 45acp

the first click on the colt saa is so you can load 6 rounds in the gun click it once and the gun is safe to carry with a round under the firing pin. if samuel colt meant for it to be carried with only 5 rounds he wouldnt have spent money on making 6 holes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #43

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Thems is some nice guns. What is that green thing between the cyl. and the frame?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png

those are plastic shipping discs. that pic is right after i peeled em out of their cases.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #45

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I've had great luck with the revolvers Cimarron puts out. Also, if you want the "real deal" you can find a decently priced colt that was made fairly recently(with some looking around).

Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #46

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I've been on a hunt for years for a late 1890's Colt SAA. Things is, most of those who own them think they are made of gold or something. They also don't understand that a gun with 3 different serial numbers that's been refinished by some knucklehead on a mission isn't worth 1/3rd of what it was before all that. There is a Ruger Blackhawk up at my LGS that comes with .45LC and .45ACP cylinders. I don't think it's ever been fired, $500 in the box. I've fondled it a few times, but I've just never much cared for the Ruger brand. No particular reason, just don't. Two guns that I've always wanted, a Colt SAA in 45, and a Winchester 94 30-30. I just got the 94 last week. Now I gotta find a Colt. The one I'd really like to have, I probably would have a difficult time getting myself to shoot it.
Don't get discouraged searching for that old Colt. They are out there and you never know when one for the right price will turn up. Don't look at them like you would new Colts. Some people assume there's something wrong with them if they have that pewter look, but believe me when I say looks are deceiving and I shoot my 1891 vintage 45 using Ten-X BP ammo out to 80 yards with great accuracy. Don't ever settle for something you really don't want no matter how good the price may be. Ain't nothing like an old Colt.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #47

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Mmmm that^^^ is also a nice gun. Mind if I ask the acquisition price? And what you pay for the BP ammo?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

I own a Ruger 357 convertible and a Super Blackhawk. I don't like the fixed sights on the Vaquero. A 357 with a 6" barrel is a 100 yard shooter. I have yet to see anyone shooting any gun with fixed sights make long shots.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #49

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11

Don't get discouraged searching for that old Colt. They are out there and you never know when one for the right price will turn up. Don't look at them like you would new Colts. Some people assume there's something wrong with them if they have that pewter look, but believe me when I say looks are deceiving and I shoot my 1891 vintage 45 using Ten-X BP ammo out to 80 yards with great accuracy. Don't ever settle for something you really don't want no matter how good the price may be. Ain't nothing like an old Colt.
You might find what you're looking for on gunsinternational.com

Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I own a Ruger 357 convertible and a Super Blackhawk. I don't like the fixed sights on the Vaquero. A 357 with a 6" barrel is a 100 yard shooter. I have yet to see anyone shooting any gun with fixed sights make long shots.
Just gotta know your gun.

If you sight in an adjustable sight gun at 75 yards you gotta use the same techniques as fixed sight guns to hit things up close.

Just gotta know your bullet drops for that firearm. I shoot steel with my ruger vaqueros but they are just as good aiming at further targets and do pretty good. My preference is for fixed sight handguns. They are less likely to snap off if abused a bit.

A lot of adjustable sight guns have delicate plastic parts in the rear sight. Out here in wisconsin in the winter if you got a adjustable rear in the cold bump up against something and its easy break those things.

Ive got adjustables on my colt python. Its easy to adjust for one load at one range but i still end up using holdover when i switch loads. I dont find it any enormous advantage over fixed sights for most shooting.

Where adjustables are really good is in bullseye competition at known distances.

Course all this is just my personal opinion.