Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

I've been on a hunt for years for a late 1890's Colt SAA. Things is, most of those who own them think they are made of gold or something. They also don't understand that a gun with 3 different serial numbers that's been refinished by some knucklehead on a mission isn't worth 1/3rd of what it was before all that. There is a Ruger Blackhawk up at my LGS that comes with .45LC and .45ACP cylinders. I don't think it's ever been fired, $500 in the box. I've fondled it a few times, but I've just never much cared for the Ruger brand. No particular reason, just don't. Two guns that I've always wanted, a Colt SAA in 45, and a Winchester 94 30-30. I just got the 94 last week. Now I gotta find a Colt. The one I'd really like to have, I probably would have a difficult time getting myself to shoot it.

__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
towboater Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #42
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,567
Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

thread is pretty old but like some things a good SAA revolver is timeless.

my pref is for the ruger SAA. here are my pair in consecutive serial numbers

these are in 45 colt and 45acp



the first click on the colt saa is so you can load 6 rounds in the gun click it once and the gun is safe to carry with a round under the firing pin. if samuel colt meant for it to be carried with only 5 rounds he wouldnt have spent money on making 6 holes.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,263
Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Thems is some nice guns. What is that green thing between the cyl. and the frame?

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #44
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,567
Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

those are plastic shipping discs. that pic is right after i peeled em out of their cases.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 774
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default

I've had great luck with the revolvers Cimarron puts out. Also, if you want the "real deal" you can find a decently priced colt that was made fairly recently(with some looking around).

__________________
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 759
Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I've been on a hunt for years for a late 1890's Colt SAA. Things is, most of those who own them think they are made of gold or something. They also don't understand that a gun with 3 different serial numbers that's been refinished by some knucklehead on a mission isn't worth 1/3rd of what it was before all that. There is a Ruger Blackhawk up at my LGS that comes with .45LC and .45ACP cylinders. I don't think it's ever been fired, $500 in the box. I've fondled it a few times, but I've just never much cared for the Ruger brand. No particular reason, just don't. Two guns that I've always wanted, a Colt SAA in 45, and a Winchester 94 30-30. I just got the 94 last week. Now I gotta find a Colt. The one I'd really like to have, I probably would have a difficult time getting myself to shoot it.
Don't get discouraged searching for that old Colt. They are out there and you never know when one for the right price will turn up. Don't look at them like you would new Colts. Some people assume there's something wrong with them if they have that pewter look, but believe me when I say looks are deceiving and I shoot my 1891 vintage 45 using Ten-X BP ammo out to 80 yards with great accuracy. Don't ever settle for something you really don't want no matter how good the price may be. Ain't nothing like an old Colt.

__________________
gunsmoke11 is offline  
GeneralPatton Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,263
Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Mmmm that^^^ is also a nice gun. Mind if I ask the acquisition price? And what you pay for the BP ammo?

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,099
Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Default

I own a Ruger 357 convertible and a Super Blackhawk. I don't like the fixed sights on the Vaquero. A 357 with a 6" barrel is a 100 yard shooter. I have yet to see anyone shooting any gun with fixed sights make long shots.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 774
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11

Don't get discouraged searching for that old Colt. They are out there and you never know when one for the right price will turn up. Don't look at them like you would new Colts. Some people assume there's something wrong with them if they have that pewter look, but believe me when I say looks are deceiving and I shoot my 1891 vintage 45 using Ten-X BP ammo out to 80 yards with great accuracy. Don't ever settle for something you really don't want no matter how good the price may be. Ain't nothing like an old Colt.
You might find what you're looking for on gunsinternational.com
__________________
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #50
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,567
Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I own a Ruger 357 convertible and a Super Blackhawk. I don't like the fixed sights on the Vaquero. A 357 with a 6" barrel is a 100 yard shooter. I have yet to see anyone shooting any gun with fixed sights make long shots.
Just gotta know your gun.

If you sight in an adjustable sight gun at 75 yards you gotta use the same techniques as fixed sight guns to hit things up close.

Just gotta know your bullet drops for that firearm. I shoot steel with my ruger vaqueros but they are just as good aiming at further targets and do pretty good. My preference is for fixed sight handguns. They are less likely to snap off if abused a bit.

A lot of adjustable sight guns have delicate plastic parts in the rear sight. Out here in wisconsin in the winter if you got a adjustable rear in the cold bump up against something and its easy break those things.

Ive got adjustables on my colt python. Its easy to adjust for one load at one range but i still end up using holdover when i switch loads. I dont find it any enormous advantage over fixed sights for most shooting.

Where adjustables are really good is in bullseye competition at known distances.

Course all this is just my personal opinion.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Farmer Style (Gangnam Style Parody) Vincine The Club House 3 12-08-2012 05:04 PM
The last american Cowboy willshoum The Club House 0 06-22-2010 11:28 PM
Cowboy: The 6-Shooters Benning Boy The Club House 25 03-15-2010 04:09 AM
The Cowboy iPod Benning Boy The Club House 53 03-12-2010 09:50 PM
So I got the Cowboy hat.... Benning Boy The Club House 14 08-30-2009 07:03 PM