Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36
Sounds like you need a Ruger Vaquero.
+1 my dad has one and its sweet. 45 lc

Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ah, the plot thickens! Looks like I have some investigation ahead of me as I embark on a brave new world

So, if I have it right the older non transfer bar have the 4 clicks - I gotta try one of them just to see what it is all about then check out the newer models.

I saw a Bird's Head Vaquero over at Gunblast that is s-w-e-e-t! Not sure how it handles with the grip shape but it sure is purty. http://www.gunblast.com/Birdshead.htm

Gawd, I love this stuff - picking up the Redhawk tomorrow night which I haven't even shot yet but looking for the next one. I hope Steve doesn't have a SA at the shop when I go there tomorrow - just got Momma to agree to the latest one.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #33

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Incidentally, a four screw single action Ruger, or any other Colt or clone single action, can be cocked silently without dragging the hammer over the trigger sear. This should only be done with experienced single action users, though, and after settling into you stand and getting still.

When loaded properly, with an empty chamber under the hammer, bring the hammer to full cock. Then ease the hammer back down to the loading position. The cylinder remains locked, with a live round under the hammer. If this unsettles you, place a rawhide thong between the hammer and frame.

When ready to fire, hold the trigger rearward as you cock the hammer, and release it when fully cocked. Not a sound (click) will be heard.

You can't do this with a New Model Blackhawk.

Bob Wright

Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

So the Ruger catches my eye! The Uberti looks nice too. I do believe I want a traditional single action revolver. I'm thinking Eastwood style. Not "Dirty Harry" though. More like "Blondie"(The Good,the Bad, and the Ugly) or "Hang'em High".

Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a ruger vaquero in 45lc...great wheel gun. Put some new ruger grips on that gives a more full grip. Love the gun, shoots great!
image-814362777.jpg   image-1958718129.jpg  

Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #36

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Ruger does ofer this service, and for free. BUT.......

If you want the transfer bar safety, buy a New Model Blackhawk. Those converted are turned into revolvers with stiff, gritty trigger pulls and clackety-clack actions. If you don't want, or are scared of a traditional single action, sell it or trade it. I've had one Super Blackhawk so converted and bought two already converted. They are all now back in their original condition.

Here is a converted three-screw .357 Magnum I bought several years ago:

Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style. - Revolver Handguns

The same gun, now a .44 Special and back to original configuration:

Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style. - Revolver Handguns

Bob Wright
Bob,
Hope you don't mind explaining to a not so well versed mate - about your gun. You converted this gun from 357 to 44 Mag? How? Replace barrel and cylinder? Is that easy stuff to do??
Thank.
towboater Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have two Vaqueros in LC. One is in stainless steel, and the other blue with that cool colored frame. Great shooting guns. I don't care about clicks. I wish I could find a good used one in .357, but they seem scarce these days.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #38

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Bob,
Hope you don't mind explaining to a not so well versed mate - about your gun. You converted this gun from 357 to 44 Mag? How? Replace barrel and cylinder? Is that easy stuff to do??
Thank.
The original .357 Magnum cylinder was re-bored and chambered to .44 Special. In my case the original barrel was re-bored and rifled to .429" dia. But a new .44 barrel, either from a .44 Magnum or a custom, can be used.

Esy to do? If you're Dave Clements who did my work, I reckon its easy. I couldn't do it, though. It is a job left to an experienced gunsmith.

Why do it? The original Ruger .357 were built on a medium frame, hence are lighter and more compact than current Ruger .44 Magnums. The new .44 Special Flat Top is an exception, going back to the old mid-size frame. But then, it is a transfer-bar model.

Bob Wright
towboater Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #39

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just got to play with a Ruger today. Very nice. Both the 4.20 inch and the 5.5 inch. They both shot great.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just got the 5.50 inch Vaquero in. 357. Love it. Put 40 rounds through it this last Sunday.