The Virtues of the Revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > The Virtues of the Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Was going to mention this in my previous post, but it slipped my mind...

One of my favorite plinking loads is in my .45 Colt guns. It consisits of a 335gr LBT cast bullet loaded backwards and seated like a wadcutter, that is, with the heel of the bullet flush with the case mouth. The powder charge is a meager 2 grains of Bullseye. I have never chronographed this load, but the recoil is rediculously mild and the bullet will only penetrate about 1/4" into a pine 2x6. Quiet, light recoil and has proven to be deadly accurate out of a variety of guns at distances out to about 20 yards.

A friend and I have built a snail trap that we use in his shop (mostly .22LR, but it will easily handle full house .475 loads). This load has provided hours of entertainment and practice and the bullets hold together well enough that they are easily recovered, melted down and cast into more!

JW

Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21304 Times on 12086 Posts
Likes Given: 53071

as i own several semi-auto pistols, i still like revolvers for their simplicity. both types of pistols have their pro's and con's. some semi-auto's are limited in loads by magazine length, some auto's are partial to one type of load, as i had one 1911 years ago that would not feed or chamber cast lead ammo.

now one of my wish list guns is an auto, the wildey, comes in 44 auto mag, 45 winchester magnum, 45 wildey magnum and 475 wildey magnum. dirty harry and charles bronson in death wish liked this powerhouse handgun!

when you start talking about some of these larger magnum semi-auto pistols, their power is prbably getting reall close to some of the larger magnum pistols, but these types of pistols tend to be on the pricy side as do some of the really large magnum revolvers.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #23

Axxe55,

You are certainly correct with regard to the power available in the Wildey as well as some of the other large auto pistols. My point was not that revolvers are the pinnacle of power, only that to achieve similar power levels in an auto pistol, a much larger gun is required. Price even becomes a moot point in many cases. Prices on the large magbum revolvers start at about $1000 and go up quickly from there!

JW

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver_451 View Post
Axxe55,

You are certainly correct with regard to the power available in the Wildey as well as some of the other large auto pistols. My point was not that revolvers are the pinnacle of power, only that to achieve similar power levels in an auto pistol, a much larger gun is required. Price even becomes a moot point in many cases. Prices on the large magbum revolvers start at about $1000 and go up quickly from there!

JW
haha...........I am a "magbum".........I like that....

OC

Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357

haha...........I am a "magbum".........I like that....

OC
Such are the dangers of posting from my phone...lol

Good catch! Quite a unique typo...Freudian slip possibly? ;o)

JW

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Lindenwood,

I'm not arguing that there are not potent and versatile auto pistol cartridges out there. 10mm is an excellent example. I am a huge fan of the 10 and own three of them (6" S&W 610, Colt Delta Elite and my favorite, a custom built STI polymer frame with a commander length slide). However, the 10mm still falls well short of the performance envelope of many traditional revolver cartridges. The 10mm with maximum loads is nipping pretty close at the heels of a .41 mag. With 210gr bullets, and can cerainly be loaded down for small game and plinking. But, the disparity on the top end is where it gets left in the dust by any of the larger revolver cartridges, which can still be loaded down to very mild loads suitable for the same endeavors. This is not bashing the 10mm (or any other cartridge for that matter); it is simply recognizing the limits of the cartridge across its entire performance envelope.

One of the reasons I am such a fan of the 10mm is exactly what you have already discussed. It is a very capable and versatile cartridge, and can be had in a platform that is easy to carry. A fine cartridge in every respect. Even with all of it's attributes though, it still won't do every thing that a 41mag will and falls well short of any of the larger calibers, both in power and overall performance envelope.

To equal the performance of the big bore revolvers from an auto pistol, one pretty much has to step up in size to the point that packability starts to suffer. I have and still do own a wide variety of both revolvers and bottom feeders. I enjoy them all, but they all have their shortcomings. Any of them, used within their performance envelope, serves the shooter well if he does his part. My personal preference for many applications is a sturdy single action revolver in a big bore caliber. I feel this gives me the broadest range of utility, but it would not be my first choice for such endeavors as concealed carry. For that, it's my STI commander in 10mm!

JW
Oh yeah 10mm isn't really on the same playing field as the .41mag, and it is really about level with the .357mag in power capabilities (with both being able to drive 180-200gr bullets at 1200-1400fps). I just mean, if you are looking for something to hunt deer or hog with (at close ranges, obviously), or for defense against most anything in the continental U.S., a hot 10mm gun can still get the job done, and still have the advantages of narrow profile, capacity, etc .

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21304 Times on 12086 Posts
Likes Given: 53071

Quote:
Axxe55,

JW
i still want a Wildey! but i would like a S-W 500 too! i've got too big a wish list and not near enough paycheck!