The Virtues of the Revolver - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

The Virtues of the Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I always fall back on the thought of who may be potentialy using this weapon in a HD situation, and since the least trained person in my household is my wife, she is the one I want to ensure can easily manage the weapon and have the best chance of success should she ever need to use it. For that reason, the HD weapon by our bedside is a S&W .357 because in a full panic mode, she will most likely forget all the instructions that go with preping an auto for firing, and will instead be more likely to just 'point and squeeze', and if that is all she remembers to do, with the revolver, it's enough.....
Im along the same lines of thinking except my wife doesnt likerevolvers. She does like semi autos without safeties so has decided to get a xdm. She shoots autos very well as i spend time training her.

She has a very difficult timeloading a revolver. With an auto its simple for her to shove a mag in and rack the slide or thumb the release. She seems to get that better than trying to line up a speedloader and twist or put shells in one at a time. Unloading empty shells is somethimg she tlstruggles with also. Its so frustrating for her she refuses to even touch my colt python anymore even if i load it for her.

It all comes down to training. Revolvers seem easy but they arent any more simple or difficult than a semi auto. Just different.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You gotta admit, they are true to their name; part of them revolves.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

very well said! as i own many semi-auto pistols, i still like the revolver just because of the many fine points you have made about them. my down and dirty go to pistol is a 4" taurus 44magnum tracker. love shooting it, and love to reload for it. very informative about the fine vitues of the revolver for the younger generations who have really only been exposed to the semi-auto pistols, and us older ones who have forgotten them and gotten caught up in all the hype of the new pistols on the market.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It all comes down to training. Revolvers seem easy but they arent any more simple or difficult than a semi auto. Just different.
Ain't that the truth! I've done the repetition of reloading my revolver at least 1000 times in the last couple months, and I'm still not as fast as I could be reloading an auto :P (and this doesn't take into account that an auto can hold like 2-3x as much ammo :P ).

Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #15

Kinda surprised that nobody mentioned this (or possibly I missed it, if it was mentioned) but when it comes to the combination of power in a truly packable platform, the revolver easily wins. This is not to say that there are not rapid shooters that are chambered in powerful magnum class cartridges, but they are few and typically very large. The smallest that readily comes to mind is the L.A.R. Grizzly, chambered in .45 Win. Mag. Not exactly a small gun, and certainly not more powerful than some of the big bore revolvers.

The caveat to this point is that to get into this class of revolvers is mostly a custom built endeavor. As examples, take a look at what cartridges like the .475 and .500 Linebaugh are capable of from custom built five shooters. 400-440 grain bullets approaching 1400fps. These are truly packable powerhouses!

Even the ancient .45 Colt, in a modern revolver of robust construction turns in impressive numbers. A 4 5/8" barreled Ruger Blackhawk can launch a 335gr hardcast bullet to velocities excedding 1000fps. This from a package that tips the scales at a little over 40 ounces.

Another benefit is the flexibilty, particularly in the big bores, that revolvers offer. I have a BFR with a 5 1/4" barrel, chambered in .475 Linebaugh that is a great example. A modest load pushes a 420gr bullet to about 800fps. This is very easy on the shooter. So much so, that my 12 year old niece has a ball with this gun. Using the same bullet, I can up the velocity to well over 1300fps for those times when I may need to tumble a charging T-rex.

I am not aware of any powerful auto loaders that can approach the flexibility of loading that a revolver can, or that can match the power levels possible in a similar sized package.

JW

Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My Uncle issued me a 1911 and it was easy to use and a sweet shooter. I have owned several autoloaders and had fun with them but went back to the magnums as I guess I am just an old revolver guy at heart.

What I like about the .357 and .44 magnums is their versitility. You want full-house loads use .357 or .44 magnum ammo. You want to down-load, use .38 or .38+p or .44 etc, so you have choices right out of the box. Maybe slower to speed load and less capacity but I never had a problem putting all 6 on target.

Just the opinion of an old revolver guy.

OC

Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, I'm right there with you on the versatility of the cartridges. The ability to have power and accuracy not matched by any auto besides a Desert Eagle was the main reason I got my Raging Bull. I don't load with magnum powders, but I know if I wanted, I could hunt varmints with 180gr bullets coming out at 2000fps, or take on a charging bare with a 300gr bullet at 1300-1400fps. Then I can turn around and load 200gr bullets at 700fps for a *****cat load from my 4lb gun (that is still probably about as effective as a .38sp :P ).

But, even still, a 10mm auto could do a lot of what revolvers can. A 180gr hardcast at 1400fps (obviously a max loading) is nothing to sneeze at for anything under 500lbs, but a simple change of the recoil spring and a 155gr bullet can be pushed out at a leisurely 850fps for light plinking.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #18

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If I could get a .357 magnum in semi auto with a 2 inch barrel, I hight consider carrying it. Until then, I will take my 5 shot revolver (or 8 if you want to try to get into my house) over your 18+ rounds of 9mm in your bull**** plastic glock. end of story

Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I thought "bull****" brown was a Keltec color?

http://www.kdeguns.com/featured_items.html

Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #20

Lindenwood,

I'm not arguing that there are not potent and versatile auto pistol cartridges out there. 10mm is an excellent example. I am a huge fan of the 10 and own three of them (6" S&W 610, Colt Delta Elite and my favorite, a custom built STI polymer frame with a commander length slide). However, the 10mm still falls well short of the performance envelope of many traditional revolver cartridges. The 10mm with maximum loads is nipping pretty close at the heels of a .41 mag. With 210gr bullets, and can cerainly be loaded down for small game and plinking. But, the disparity on the top end is where it gets left in the dust by any of the larger revolver cartridges, which can still be loaded down to very mild loads suitable for the same endeavors. This is not bashing the 10mm (or any other cartridge for that matter); it is simply recognizing the limits of the cartridge across its entire performance envelope.

One of the reasons I am such a fan of the 10mm is exactly what you have already discussed. It is a very capable and versatile cartridge, and can be had in a platform that is easy to carry. A fine cartridge in every respect. Even with all of it's attributes though, it still won't do every thing that a 41mag will and falls well short of any of the larger calibers, both in power and overall performance envelope.

To equal the performance of the big bore revolvers from an auto pistol, one pretty much has to step up in size to the point that packability starts to suffer. I have and still do own a wide variety of both revolvers and bottom feeders. I enjoy them all, but they all have their shortcomings. Any of them, used within their performance envelope, serves the shooter well if he does his part. My personal preference for many applications is a sturdy single action revolver in a big bore caliber. I feel this gives me the broadest range of utility, but it would not be my first choice for such endeavors as concealed carry. For that, it's my STI commander in 10mm!

JW