Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   The Virtues of the Revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/virtues-revolver-47471/)

gunzilla 08-28-2011 11:13 PM

The Virtues of the Revolver
 
http://grabagun.com/blog/

When I open my gun safe my eyes fall upon several categories of guns and their various subcategories, somewhat in the same way that we breakdown vehicles into two broad groups: trucks (and their sub groups) and passenger vehicles (and their sub groups). A major handgun category that I would like to comment on is the revolver. A group that I believe has a lot to offer but has been overlooked by new and younger shooters due to the popularity of the Wonder Nines and their ilk.

One of the great virtues of the revolver is that it is consistently reliable. Well maybe no gun is consistently reliable; after all it’s a mechanical device and therefore subject to malfunction. But for me the revolver comes as close to being one hundred percent reliable one hundred percent of the time. It is a weapon that can not only be counted upon to fire when asked to, but also extremely simple to operate and therefore does not require a complicated manual of arms to master.

Should you ever need to use your revolver to protect yourself and/or your family, you’ll want SIMPLE to OPERATE to be synonymous with AIM and squeeze. A revolver has no safeties to disengage, no slides to rack, no magazines to insert (and then feel obligated to “tap the heel” to ensure that it is properly seated), and most importantly there are no magazines to lose. No magazine. No gun.

You also do not have to concern your self with a plethora of causes on why your semi-auto failed to fire, especially if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. If your revolver doesn’t fire, pull the trigger again. Hearing a click when you want to hear a bang can be a deafening sound of the wrong kind. Without stovepipes to fret about and with no “what-to-do-now” procedures to memorize, you have freed yourself for more important matters to ponder…like surviving. A revolver can even be fired from inside your COAT pocket, with the emphasis being on COAT pocket and not pant pocket. It can even be fired when flush up against your adversary’s body—something a semi-auto can’t do, at least not more than once. Remember that with a revolver you need only to Draw, Aim, Fire (hear bang) and re-holster.

Another important virtue of the revolver is that it is NOT ammo sensitive like many semi-autos can be. If you can shove the proper cartridge into the revolver’s cylinder you’re good-to-go. A revolver will shoot snake loads, target loads, and full power defense loads with equal aplomb. Most semi-autos (if not all) are somewhat ammo sensitive. I know from practical experience that my .22 semi-auto is very ammo sensitive. Fortunately what it likes to digest can be bought at Wal-Mart. And what it doesn’t like to digest I run through my revolver. Don’t you just love it when there is an easy fix close at hand?

A very important plus for the revolver is that it can be kept loaded indefinitely. There are no springs to stress like there is in a magazine. Yes, I know that magazines can be kept fully depressed for years without any ill effect. But I don’t know anyone who feels comfortable doing it. I know I don’t. It must be the fear of having your magazine fatigued at the wrong time. No fear of that happening with a magazine-less revolver.

If you need to check your revolver to see if it is loaded, just open the cylinder or look in the cylinder gap for brass cartridge rims. You also have the added bonus in knowing that after you’ve check the cylinder for ammo, there isn’t a round hiding in the breech. This type of error can be easily made with a semi-auto with serious consequences.

You can customize the grips on a revolver a whole lot easier than on a semi-auto. You can go from small J-frame style grips to large target grips in every material known to mankind…or just make your own grips if you think you need another hobby.

Do you reload? If you do then you won’t have to look far to find your brass because they are all in your cylinder just waiting to be plucked out. It doesn’t get much easier than that, does it?

Yes, it does. Especially if you think it’s important to clean your gun after every shooting session. It’s an axiom of mine that ‘A clean gun is a happy gun. And a happy gun owner is one that has an easy gun to clean.’ Revolvers are easy to clean because there are no parts to disassemble so there are no parts to loose or springs to spring away as can happen with semi-autos. So with little free time to spare these days, having an easy gun to clean is welcomed. This is a win-win situation for gun and gun owner. What more can you ask of any gun?

I’m sure there are many of you saying that I purposely overlooked a major flaw in the revolver: namely its inability to hold more than six rounds while the wonder nines can hold up to 18 rounds. Balderdash I say. Watch for my future comments on why I don’t feel under gunned while carrying my six-shoot Colt Detective Special as well as my views concerning the virtues of the semi-auto pistol.


http://grabagun.com/blog/

JonM 08-28-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
http://grabagun.com/blog/


One of the great virtues of the revolver is that it is consistently reliable. Well maybe no gun is consistently reliable; after all it’s a mechanical device and therefore subject to malfunction. But for me the revolver comes as close to being one hundred percent reliable one hundred percent of the time. It is a weapon that can not only be counted upon to fire when asked to, but also extremely simple to operate and therefore does not require a complicated manual of arms to master.

in my experience when a revolver jams (and they do jam) it usually takes a gunsmith to unstick em safely. jams usually involve very slightly out of spec cases or overlong bullets or debris in the action. semi auto generally just racking the slide back in business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
Should you ever need to use your revolver to protect yourself and/or your family, you’ll want SIMPLE to OPERATE to be synonymous with AIM and squeeze. A revolver has no safeties to disengage, no slides to rack, no magazines to insert (and then feel obligated to “tap the heel” to ensure that it is properly seated), and most importantly there are no magazines to lose. No magazine. No gun.

with semis normally you dont wait till the last second to load it. same with revolvers. lose the speedoader your not getting a fast reload. many semi autos have no external safeties that get in the way of grab and go while offering superior triggers to the long stiff da pull that really gets in the way of accurate shots under stress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
You also do not have to concern your self with a plethora of causes on why your semi-auto failed to fire, especially if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. If your revolver doesn’t fire, pull the trigger again. Hearing a click when you want to hear a bang can be a deafening sound of the wrong kind. Without stovepipes to fret about and with no “what-to-do-now” procedures to memorize, you have freed yourself for more important matters to ponder…like surviving. A revolver can even be fired from inside your COAT pocket, with the emphasis being on COAT pocket and not pant pocket. It can even be fired when flush up against your adversary’s body—something a semi-auto can’t do, at least not more than once. Remember that with a revolver you need only to Draw, Aim, Fire (hear bang) and re-holster.

revolvers have to rotate the cylinder to fire. semis do not. get pocket lint debris or fabric caught in the cylinder your not getting any shots off. a revolver is the last thing i would rely on to go boom from a pocket. with a semi it will go boom AT LEAST once

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
Another important virtue of the revolver is that it is NOT ammo sensitive like many semi-autos can be. If you can shove the proper cartridge into the revolver’s cylinder you’re good-to-go. A revolver will shoot snake loads, target loads, and full power defense loads with equal aplomb. Most semi-autos (if not all) are somewhat ammo sensitive. I know from practical experience that my .22 semi-auto is very ammo sensitive. Fortunately what it likes to digest can be bought at Wal-Mart. And what it doesn’t like to digest I run through my revolver. Don’t you just love it when there is an easy fix close at hand?

if a round is out of spec it wont fit in a revolver anymore than it will in a semi auto. none of my defensive semis are the least bi sensitive. in fact both my colt 1911s can cycle empty fired cases

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
A very important plus for the revolver is that it can be kept loaded indefinitely. There are no springs to stress like there is in a magazine. Yes, I know that magazines can be kept fully depressed for years without any ill effect. But I don’t know anyone who feels comfortable doing it. I know I don’t. It must be the fear of having your magazine fatigued at the wrong time. No fear of that happening with a magazine-less revolver.

revolvers have springs are very sensitive ti cylinder timing issues. dont have that worry of wondering how "off" the cylinder timing is and fretting about the next shot blowing the top strap off.

sprins dont fatigue frome staying compressed. im using magazines in my 1911s that were issued and used in combat on guadalcanal korea and vietnam... got em when the army was tossing em to replace with m9 mags. courtesy of the 25th infantry dumpsters. still function perfectly 70 years later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
If you need to check your revolver to see if it is loaded, just open the cylinder or look in the cylinder gap for brass cartridge rims. You also have the added bonus in knowing that after you’ve check the cylinder for ammo, there isn’t a round hiding in the breech. This type of error can be easily made with a semi-auto with serious consequences.

no such thing as an unloaded gun. many semis come with loaded chamber indicators

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
You can customize the grips on a revolver a whole lot easier than on a semi-auto. You can go from small J-frame style grips to large target grips in every material known to mankind…or just make your own grips if you think you need another hobby.

wide variety of grips for most guns especially 1911s glocks and sigs

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
Do you reload? If you do then you won’t have to look far to find your brass because they are all in your cylinder just waiting to be plucked out. It doesn’t get much easier than that, does it?

granted its easier prolly one thing ill give ya lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
Yes, it does. Especially if you think it’s important to clean your gun after every shooting session. It’s an axiom of mine that ‘A clean gun is a happy gun. And a happy gun owner is one that has an easy gun to clean.’ Revolvers are easy to clean because there are no parts to disassemble so there are no parts to loose or springs to spring away as can happen with semi-autos. So with little free time to spare these days, having an easy gun to clean is welcomed. This is a win-win situation for gun and gun owner. What more can you ask of any gun?

i find my colt python harder to clean as i have to be super careful not to ding the muzzle since revolvers cant be cleaned from chamber. cleaning the cylinders is not fun as its easy to forget where ya were in the order. since the revolver barfs hot gasses and molten bullet material all over itself cleaning the exterior can be a real challenge. semis are far far easier to detail strip for a good cleaning and inspection. take a revolver apart and you can ruin the delicate watch like timing causing your wheel gun to kaboom from out of time lockup if not put together right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunzilla (Post 571226)
I’m sure there are many of you saying that I purposely overlooked a major flaw in the revolver: namely its inability to hold more than six rounds while the wonder nines can hold up to 18 rounds. Balderdash I say. Watch for my future comments on why I don’t feel under gunned while carrying my six-shoot Colt Detective Special as well as my views concerning the virtues of the semi-auto pistol.


http://grabagun.com/blog/

i think you overlooked more than capacity ;)

Lindenwood 08-29-2011 03:35 AM

I've had probably two dozen or so mechanical malfunctions in about 2500 rounds with my Raging Bull (two I've had to fix myself with careful filing, and one that required the gun to go back to the factory), while I never had a single one with my PT92. Revolvers are, in my observation and experience, far more sensitive to both wear and debris, not to mention abuse and neglect. At this point, if I had to take one handgun to the end of the earth, the only way I'd choose a revolver over a quality auto would be if the Revo was handcuffed to my wrist.

And this is coming from someone whose primary defensive weapon is a .44mag Revolver, and usually is a lone voice in support of revolvers over autos :P .

Yes, revolvers do have a few advantages, which you listed. For a reloader, there are fantastic possibilities. I could drive a 180gr bullet to 2000fps, or lob it out at 600fps, and the gun would fire all six shots just the same. If someone is unwilling to familiarize themselves with their firearm, a revolver does indeed have a simpler manual of arms and gives less to go wrong in an emergency. Finally, generally speaking, revolvers are typically capable of greater power and more accuracy than autos, save for the Desert Eagles I suppose.

But I don't think any revolver could come anywhere close to making it through the Glock Torture Test:

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com


And honestly if I could have done it all over again, I'd have bought a Glock 20 and added a 6" Longslide, instead of getting my .44mag Raging Bull.

canebrake 08-29-2011 03:52 AM

My preference and EDC is an autoloader but my heart is taken by a S&W Wheel Gun!

dallascj 08-30-2011 02:43 AM

I don't really think about one style being 'better'. I have semi-autos and revolvers, but I prefer revolvers.

OC357 08-30-2011 02:55 AM

Magnum revolvers are my passion.

OC

northhike 08-30-2011 03:18 AM

The age old debate rages on. ;). For both revolvers and semi-autos the reliability and quality of guns has increased quite a bit. It's really a matter of preference now. Arguments can be made for both sides. I prefer to own both and enjoy both for their design. My gun of choice for carry is a sp101 in 357. I like the gun...it's a tank...and I am a fan of the 357 round and also like that I can fling some .38's out of it as well. To each his own....but the reality is that most of us will never need the gun for self defense...and that's good.

hiwall 08-30-2011 04:35 AM

No matter how many autos that I own or shoot, or double action revolvers, nothing can match the feeling you get when you hold a single action revolver.

jismail 08-30-2011 05:03 PM

I always fall back on the thought of who may be potentialy using this weapon in a HD situation, and since the least trained person in my household is my wife, she is the one I want to ensure can easily manage the weapon and have the best chance of success should she ever need to use it. For that reason, the HD weapon by our bedside is a S&W .357 because in a full panic mode, she will most likely forget all the instructions that go with preping an auto for firing, and will instead be more likely to just 'point and squeeze', and if that is all she remembers to do, with the revolver, it's enough.....

Trez 08-30-2011 05:14 PM

Nothing will ever replace my Medusa!! :p


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.