Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Used Revolver inspection question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Used Revolver inspection question

Hi all,
I am in the market for a GP100 and I thought I would check out a local gun show this weekend just to see if I can come across one, or a similar .357, in a really good used condition at a better price than new. I'm in no immediate hurry and will buy new if I don't find anything that knocks my socks off, but thought it would be worth a try since it's a local show.

Can anyone please help offer some of the things that I need to check on a used revolver to make sure it's in good shape? Is there a good way to quickly check the cylinder to make sure it's in good shape? How about checking the timing, etc? I admit I'm a bit new to revolvers, and I know the GP100, if I can find one, is about as rock-solid as they come, but I still would be a bit wary about buying a used gun without knowing a bit about what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

When it comes to revolvers I always check for cylinder play. Put the gun in battery (cock it) only after making sure its unloaded, And check for movement for and aft as well as side to side. A revolver in good shape should have very little movement. That's my two cents. Good luck.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Also check for cylinder movement at what would be the moment of ignition (trigger held back and hammer at rest). Make sure you walk it through a complete cycle of the cylinder by thumb cocking, riding the hammer down with your thumb, repeat. If the "star" has a damaged you'll feel it quickly. Was checking a supposed like new S&W 617 last week and it failed this test...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2643 Times on 1540 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Check the forcing cone, muzzle, run a jig through the barrel to "feel" if there are any bulges that you cannot see.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Also check the cylinder rod and make sure it's not bent. Open the cylinder and roll the rod along a flat surface and look for wobble.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Liked 1662 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

I take an unsharpened pencil. After you are certain the gun is unloaded squeeze the trigger. When the hammer falls keep holding the trigger back. Put the pencil in the barrel. You should be able to push it all the way back into the cylinder without hitting anything. Rub it against both sides and the top and bottom. If it is out of time you will feel it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There are some stickies on other boards about the whole process for inspecting used revolvers. Or you can just review this: Revolver Inspection: How to tell if the specimen is any good.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #8

Picked up a brand new GP100 tonight! I could only find one in the entire city, and found it on sale. My regular dealer said none of his distributors had one for him to order, so I figured I should jump on it. Thanks for all of the advice!