Uberti vs Ruger SA 45LC
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Uberti vs Ruger SA 45LC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Uberti vs Ruger SA 45LC

I have always wanted a SA since I was a kid watching John Wayne. Finally have the time money and place to be able to carry one around the ranch. Now hoping to get some opinions from people who have one or both. Thanks for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

Liked 218 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Uberti makes some very cool looking handguns BUT I would buy the ruger ever day. By far a great company standing behind it with ruger. If cowboy open sights is fine SS Vaquero "The Bisley" model is the one . But $$$
Fixed sights- http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroBisley/models.html
Ajustable sight model - http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/models.html

Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the input

Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have a Ruger 1873 SA chambered in 45 colt. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and love the ruggedness with which it was made. Put inexpensive Hogue ivory grips on it and it looks great. Very fun gun to own. Besides every time I pull it out to shoot it I can say "I'll make you famous!" Here is a pic.

image-2074394085.jpg  

Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a uberti cattleman hombre in 357. It was my first revolver and my favorite gun overall. I had to send it back to have the base pin deburred, but for the price I paid for I couldn't be happier. My only regret was not getting one in 45 LC when my shop had them on sale. Almost forgot I had to polish the cylinders since I could extract spent 357 shells, but 38s were no problem. It is remarkably accurate for me and shoots point of aim. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. But I wouldn't pass up a deal on a Ruger either.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 358

the ruger new vaquero fit and finish is better than the ubertis and they dont need any work right out of the box if you intend to do any cas. the new vaquero in 45colt with the 45acp cylinders is a no brainer. here are my pair in consecutive serials.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #7

Liked 484 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 228

If you want the real thing then buy the real thing. John Wayne always used Colts except in one movie The Shootist. They were a pair of engraved Great Western revolvers that were a gift to him many years prior.

Rugers are fine guns and their strength is always remarked about. I've never owned one, cause I frankly wasn't comfortable with their action and they never felt like a Colt when shooting them. I've never worried about a transfer bar for safety. Carrying 5 instead of 6 is my safety and I've been handling them for over 40 years. Where Colts are concerned if you don't know what your doing you can certainly bust a spring, or damage a hammer notch. Speaking of notches the Colt has 4 that spell out C-O-L-T. The Ruger feels different in the hand and unless modified hasn't those 4 clicks that the Colt is known for. Gary Reeder does great work on Rugers.

The USFA revolvers are excellent and they're less pricey than the Colts and are made in the old Colt factory to exact specifications. In my opinion they're superior to the Colts that have been manufactured in recent years. But they aren't stronger than Rugers if that's important to you.

If money is tight there are the Italian copies than can be considered. Those spaghetti westerns of the 60's started a new industry and a company like Uberti deserves all the credit in the world for giving us all those pistol and rifle reproductions. They did what should've been done here. Even the 2nd generation BP revolver parts for the '51 Navy that Colt turned out in the early 70's were actually made by Uberti in Italy and put together and finished by Colt here.

There's no such thing as a trouble free gun and Colts, Rugers, Ubertis and Cimarrons are no exception. Basically they're all good guns, but like I said before if you want a genuine western gun then get the original, or the closest thing to it, cause if you're a purist like I am then nothing else will ever really satisfy you.

The 2nd generation Colts were actually the best ever made, though the 1st generations are the most sought after. They can be quite expensive, but a bargain can be had if purchasing a 2nd generation Colt New Frontier. They just came out with a new version, but I won't recommend them. A 2nd generation New Frontier can be had for much cheaper than the SAA, due to the adjustable sights, which never bothered Elmer Keith and me as well. It's still a great SA to consider. By the way, Colt did manufacture 1st generations with adjustable sights like the Bisley Flat Top Target. I have a reproduction of that one made by Cimarron(which is actually Uberti) and it's a tack driver in 44-40.

As far as caliber is concerned I'm partial to 45LC and 44-40. I also have 32-20 and like the 38-40 a lot. If trying to save money then I guess .357 would allow you to shoot 38 spl. as well. The .357 was also a caliber offered in the later years of the 1st generation Colts prior to WWII.

I'm sorry for going on and on, but old west guns are my passion and I'm fairly familiar with them. I'm not putting down Ruger, but this isn't about hunting with these guns, or how strong they are. If taken care of properly these SA's will last more than a life time and as proof I shoot many that are well over 100 years old and they're in better condition than I am. Like anything else you have to get what you want that'll fit your needs and if it's something that's perhaps a little too expensive then have the patience to save your money in order to get what you really want. Having just one gun you really love is better than having a dozen guns that you consider just so so. I've already posted photos of some of my Colts, so I won't bore you again. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8154 Times on 4709 Posts
Likes Given: 10525

Between Ruger and Uberti I would choose Ruger. Add Colt in the mix and it would be tough not to go with that.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

I would take the Uberti over the new Rugers.

The older, larger Ruger was a great gun, but I dislike the new smaller ones.

The fit and finish is better on the Uberti and most of the parts are interchangeable with the Colt.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #10

Liked 218 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you will hunt with the 45 then get ONLY the large frame ruger super black hawk frame as the other small frame ruger and colt and uberty can not handel the hotter loads .