Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Uberti sixgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Default Uberti sixgun

My vision has been changing as I grow older, and I find that I am not able to use the iron sights on my long guns. Even with the last change of glasses, I am out of luck. I am wanting to "re-tool" and get another handgun. Seem to do better with them, so far. On my last trip to my local gun purveyor, I saw a Uberti-made Colt-style six-gun that looked pretty sweet. I did some looking at the company sight, and found that it was, "hand fitted and timed" with "Wison springs" set up for cowboy style action shooting. I own some of their black powder revolvers, and I liked the feel of the pistol I am looking at. It is stainless steel. I have a history of buying shiney things on impulse, so I am asking the forum if anybody knows anything about this six-gun before I go back to give it a second look. I think it has been out better than a year, but the sticker price is the same as Uberti's. This is unusual for this dealer. I had to renew my permit to purchase,(which I think is against my second amendment rights, but that's another thread) so I have been given three days to make up my mind. Any body have experience with this hand gun? It is called the "El Patrone".

1873_cattleman_el_patron_stainless_lg.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have two Uberti revolvers. Both are 22 cal. The first is the Stallion Target model with 6 1/2" barrel and a Cattelmen with a 5.5" barrel. I love the way they look and shoot. These classic 1873 Colt single action army replicas are a couple of favorites in my collection.

Jim

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I have heard good things about Ubertis. I believe that is a version of their "Cattleman" revolver. It's listed on their site for $759. I'm not meaning to change you mind on it, but I know of another gun you may like.

A Ruger Vaquero. Basically the same gun, and build like a tank! You can find them for $500-$600 depending on the finish and barrel length.

Here's the 357 version.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375471254

And the 45 Colt version.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375467795

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 397 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I have a one in 38spl. I hand load light loads with Trail Boss. Very accurate, very pleasant to shoot. My gun has traditional cowboy fixed sights. They tend to be hard to see. A little bright red nail polish fixed that problem. good luck and I hope you have fun with your new gun.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Liked 177 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I've got one in 44mag that I absolutely love. Color case hardened case and frame. Fitted a set of stag grips I got at a gun show. Too big stock, ground them down to fit this gun. Shoots like a dream with 44 special loads, really feels "cowboy"!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE=texaswoodworker;1427423]I have heard good things about Ubertis. I believe that is a version of their "Cattleman" revolver. It's listed on their site for $759. I'm not meaning to change you mind on it, but I know of another gun you may like.

A Ruger Vaquero. Basically the same gun, and build like a tank! You can find them for $500-$600 depending on the finish and barrel length.

Texaswoodcutter- I used to have a Ruger in 44-40, but while I have admired the strength built into the Rugers, I have not always liked the fit and finish. I also had a bad time with the Vaquero. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it had to do with the dimensions of the cylinder and the forcing cone, throat leading, being inaccurate and spitting lead. They fixed it all right, but by the time I got it back, I was off Vaqueros because of the ordeal I went through to ship it, wait for it, and then get it back. There letter to me stated that they didn't know how this got out of the factory originally The gun at the gunshop only wants a little over $600 new for his El Patrone. That is why I asked if anybody knows any horror stories about this pistol, because that is less than Uberti's price. Maybe there is no ammo available for it, I didn't check the shelf

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
I've got one in 44mag that I absolutely love. Color case hardened case and frame. Fitted a set of stag grips I got at a gun show. Too big stock, ground them down to fit this gun. Shoots like a dream with 44 special loads, really feels "cowboy"!
I like the looks of this Uberti, a more traditional design that probably comes with it's traditional problems. The ads say that this model gun goes through Uberti's "factory custom shop". I don't know what that amounts to, but the pistol I looked at what really smooth and very well finished. Says they tune the gun and put in new Wolf's, (not Wilson"s) springs. Would like to have the longer barrel, but I don't know if the extra length makes any difference except in other life's sports.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

dwmiller Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #8

Liked 177 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post

I like the looks of this Uberti, a more traditional design that probably comes with it's traditional problems. The ads say that this model gun goes through Uberti's "factory custom shop". I don't know what that amounts to, but the pistol I looked at what really smooth and very well finished. Says they tune the gun and put in new Wolf's, (not Wilson"s) springs. Would like to have the longer barrel, but I don't know if the extra length makes any difference except in other life's sports.
Custom shop usually means extra time polishing internals, better springs and tighter tolerances due to hand select parts. Mine is a custom shop gun and fit and finish are flawless! Action is very smooth and trigger is a nice crisp 4.25 lbs by my scale. Could have better sights but its not the target model.

Extra barrel length = more velocity = longer sight radius ( better accuracy)

Also equal heavier gun and slower to draw.

You pay your money and make your choices!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-09-2013 at 11:05 PM.
HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE=Jimski;1427419]I have two Uberti revolvers. Both are 22 cal. The first is the Stallion Target model with 6 1/2" barrel and a Cattelmen with a 5.5" barrel. I love the way they look and shoot. These classic 1873 Colt single action army replicas are a couple of favorites in my collection.

Jim

Jim, I just noticed that this is your first post, and welcome aboard, and thanks for the reply. Nice people here.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I have one and love it. As another poster mentioned try a little nail polish on the front site to help you see in better. With stainless you might want a darker red or some other dark color to contrast with the bright stainless. You can pick up a few colors at the dollar store and try them to see what works best for you.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

HM2Grunt Likes This