Uberti 44mag or 44-40?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Uberti 44mag or 44-40?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Uberti 44mag or 44-40?

My father-in-law recently bought a used Uberti revolver. I have only had a chance to glance so far. On the barrel it is marked 44 Mag.

He took it out to shoot and bought a box of 44 Mag. He called me and said when he put the cartridge in the cylinder about 1/2 in was sticking out of the back of the cylinder. So I had him double check to make sure it says 44 Mag and it did.

The guy he got it from said he never fired the gun for whatever reason. Upon further discussion he told me the guy had given him a box of 44-40 shells with the gun. I am not familiar with this cartridge. I am just assuming here, is the projectile of the 44-40 a .40 cal projectile?

I am not quite sure the model of the revolver but in my OUTDATED gun guide it could be an Uberti Cattleman? In my guide there were no 44 mags listed but there was a 44-40. I searched the Internet and found in 2010 they started producing the Cattleman in 44 Mag. The gun is blued with a case hardened frame and wood grips.

Any ideas of what this could be? I also know there will be requests for photos so I will try to get those ASAP.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5679 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Its possible its a conversion with the wrong cylinder. For something like this contact uberti with the serial number in question.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

The OLD system of naming cartridges was the external diameter of the case (and of the bullet- bullets were heel seated, and were same size as the case) for the first number. The second number was the powder charge in grains of black powder. So you had a (nominally) 44 caliber bullet over 40 grains of powder.

This is a link to some info on the 44-40 cartridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44-40_Winchester

If Uberti does not respond, or if this gun may have been altered since leaving the factory, please have a smith check the gun over- he MAY need to make a Cerro-safe casting of a chamber to be sure.

DO check to see if the gun has been fired- 44 Special can be fired from a 44 mag cylinder- but it builds up some carbon right in front of the shorter case mouth that, if not cleaned, COULD interfere with loading 44 mags.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

If Uberti does not respond, or if this gun may have been altered since leaving the factory, please have a smith check the gun over- he MAY need to make a Cerro-safe casting of a chamber to be sure.

DO check to see if the gun has been fired- 44 Special can be fired from a 44 mag cylinder- but it builds up some carbon right in front of the shorter case mouth that, if not cleaned, COULD interfere with loading 44 mags.
I did tell him for sure not to try to fire it until we get this figured out.

Thanks for the info on the .44-40 also.

I do plan on contacting Uberti to get their input.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It might be a dual cylinder gun where the Magnum cylinder is missing. The .44 Mag isn't the most comfortable round to shoot in a handgun and light recoil factory ammo for it didn't exist until fairly recently. Yes, you can shoot .44 Special in a Magnum, but until the cowboy shooters started using that round, .44 Special ammo wasn't that easy to find either. The .44-40 operates at the same pressures as the .45 Colt. The .44-40 bullet used to be .002" smaller in diameter but nearly all use the same bullet as the Magnum now.
When Dirty Harry made the S&W M29 famous, a lot of them wound up back at the dealers because the owners did not care for the recoil.

Last edited by crossfire; 10-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #6

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Sounds like a convertable with a cylinder missing-
I had a Uberti with both 44 SPECIAL cylinder & a 44-40 cylinder-
Never heard of 44mag / 44-40 convertible- Been quite a while since i fooled with Cowboy guns tho-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

if it was from a convertible you would certainly think that the cylinder would be stamped with the caliber.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5679 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 375

markings can vanish from people refinishing or wear if it wasnt a very good stamping

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went and looked at the gun again last night and the markings are clear as day. It says " S.A. Cal. .44 Mag" on the barrel. Upon further inspection on the CYLINDER it has marked "44/40"

That being said I put a 44 mag in the cylinder just to see and it went in with about 1/4 inch sticking out the back of the cylinder. So I took it out and put in a 44/40 and it went in perfect all the way. I set the 2 cartridges side by side and they appear to be the exact same length, but the 44/40 has a slight taper to it about halfway on the case.

So I am assuming it is a convertible that's just missing the magnum cylinder. Im still going to get it looked at by a pro but do you guys think she is safe to shoot?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #10

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

no reason it would not be safe. Let the wife shoot it first though

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.