Is a two inch 44 mag worth geting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Is a two inch 44 mag worth geting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2223 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I wonder how much energy is lost out of a 2" barrel with a .44mag. That can't be efficient at all.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I wonder how much energy is lost out of a 2" barrel with a .44mag. That can't be efficient at all.
Check out this link. BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .44 Mag Results These guys did some interesting research on barrel length vs. velocity for a number of calibers.

While different loads will have different results, the information shown here will at least give you an idea of the type of losses you may experience.

As a side note, one of the advantages of being a handloader is that you can tailor your loads to the gun. By using faster powders in a magnum cartridge, you may be able to develop higher velocity loads than when using slower powders in a shorter barreled gun. You would need a chronograph to verify results, but it may be just the way to boost performance from a shorter barreled, large magnum.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That is a real intrasting graph
There

Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2223 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451 View Post
Check out this link. BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .44 Mag Results These guys did some interesting research on barrel length vs. velocity for a number of calibers.

While different loads will have different results, the information shown here will at least give you an idea of the type of losses you may experience.

As a side note, one of the advantages of being a handloader is that you can tailor your loads to the gun. By using faster powders in a magnum cartridge, you may be able to develop higher velocity loads than when using slower powders in a shorter barreled gun. You would need a chronograph to verify results, but it may be just the way to boost performance from a shorter barreled, large magnum.
As I suspected. There's a big drop off in performance once you get shorter than a 5" barrel.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #25

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
As I suspected. There's a big drop off in performance once you get shorter than a 5" barrel.
That's right,that's why when I got my S&W 629 I opted for the 6" and not the 4" barrel.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That 2 incher will rattle your fillings and leave ya blinded... If you miss, you may blind the target and knock it down with muzzle-blast!
In a packin revolver Ive come to prefer a smaller frame than the Redhawks.. more of a "Mountain Gun" guy. Easier to pack, sufficient for what i need. I will sometimes carry a single action, fixed sight Uberti .44 mag I picked up on a trade. For personal defence it works well, holds 6 safely and isnt encumbered with the Ruger adjustable sights.. Also had a Rossi "mod 44" DA, it was bulky but looked nice and was fun to shoot- until I noticed it was getting a bit loose and down the road it went. The Rossi was 4", the Uberti is 5 1/2". It is my desire to find a solid framed DA MADE for .44 Special> I can handload with hot mamas. Charter's .44s snap the wrist too much and bruise the palm.. too small a package for this one to hot rod it. Choose wisely and good luck!

Last edited by DunRanull; 12-05-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #27

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 Mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. The thing is a friggin' BEAST!!!! BUT... If you shoot 44 specials and only the mags when you need too it not only won't help ur pocket but it won't hurt ur wrist either. I love my 44 Mag. It's deadly accurate and in all honesty it's NOT that bad a recoil. It is though extremely bulky to use for concealed carry. But that honestly the ONLY thing wrong. GO BUY IT!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRanull
That 2 incher will rattle your fillings and leave ya blinded... If you miss, you may blind the target and knock it down with muzzle-blast!
In a packin revolver Ive come to prefer a smaller frame than the Redhawks.. more of a "Mountain Gun" guy. Easier to pack, sufficient for what i need. I will sometimes carry a single action, fixed sight Uberti .44 mag I picked up on a trade. For personal defence it works well, holds 6 safely and isnt encumbered with the Ruger adjustable sights.. Also had a Rossi "mod 44" DA, it was bulky but looked nice and was fun to shoot- until I noticed it was getting a bit loose and down the road it went. The Rossi was 4", the Uberti is 5 1/2". It is my desire to find a solid framed DA MADE for .44 Special> I can handload with hot mamas. Charter's .44s snap the wrist too much and bruise the palm.. too small a package for this one to hot rod it. Choose wisely and good luck!
Ok thanks for all that

Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Very simple......if you want it, buy it.

I have an Alaskan and I love it. I agree it might be a bit much for concealed carry for most people. I don't need a "reason" to buy another gun. If I like it, I buy it. Assuming the bank will let me.....

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #30

Liked 136 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451

Don't know that I would call it "very special"...I reamed the chamber throats to proper dimension, installed a Belt Mountain base pin (over sized), fit a new locking lug, fire lapped it and developed an accurate handload.

None of these modifications are what I would call extreme. Fire lapping is time consuming, but not difficult, and probably accounts for more improvement in accuracy than the other work. The gun is however an early Vaquero, and judging by my last four Ruger purchases, a much better fit and and finish than what seems to be presently common from Ruger.
Is a belt mountain the same as a good scope?