Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Trigger Guard Hitting Knuckle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trigger Guard Hitting Knuckle

I was at the range Friday trying out my newly acquired S&W 6906 and next to me was a guy with a SP101. We talked about it for a while and he let me shoot it. It wasn't all that pleasurable in that the rear trigger guard kept whacking my knuckle. I guess that was the deciding factor of whether I was going to get one or not and that little experience settled it for me.

Yesterday they had a gun show and I saw several SP101's and picked one up to see why shooting one had bothered my knuckle and it seems it was nearly right up against the trigger guard. So, I tried a S&W 3 inch 686 and it was a bit further away but still close and I can imagine I'd experience pretty much the same thing with it. Maybe I'm bound to just shoot the autos. Sad as I really liked the SP101 and the 686+ in 3 inch as well but, neither am I into pain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as there's plenty of people who have both these revolvers and I've heard no complaints.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #2

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Which knucle is it hitting? The main on on your finger (middle one)? Im not sure how you're gripping the gun but I don't see how it could hurt the only knuckle that should be inside the trigger guard (the one closest to your fingernail)

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 11-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I experienced the same problem with my SP101 in .327 magnum. I just bought a Hogue Monogrip for it which seems to eliminate the problem as fills the gap between the triggerguard and gripframe. My knuckle is not against the triggerguard now. Unfortunately, I don't have any ammo for this thing so I haven't had it back at the range yet.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #4

It's hitting the middle finger knuckle. The trigger guard is right up against it when I hold it and I'm sure under recoil it's bashing against the knuckle.

In both the SP101 or the 686+ with Talon grips those are the ones I like and wouldn't want to have to change the grips. That is one factor why I've looked at both-I liked the factory grips-especially on the 686+ with Talon grips.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just shave down your knuckle. Problem solved.

Seriously, that sucks. For defense, it won't matter and you won't feel it, but at the range it will be murder on you. A good friend has a Makarov that we shoot when we get together and it always makes my thumb knuckle near the web sore and bruised if I shoot it enough. I just shoot through the pain and then gripe about it for a week or two after. I would still love to have one for myself and I would carry it without concern.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #6

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh oh oh, I get it, your middle finger knuckle is hitting under the trigger guard, haha. I thought you were talking about your finger inside the guard.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #7

Maybe I could Dremel a little skin off to aid in better separation between trigger guard and knuckle...yep, that's the ticket. Wish it were that easy. I'm just not into pain so there must be a better solution than changing out good looking grips.

I'm so use to shooting autos and it's been literally decades since I've fired a revolver, perhaps I've forgotten how to hold them. I'll have to just rethink this.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My experience with revolvers are that wood grips are for pictures and display and rubber grips are for shooting. I have pretty wood for all of mine, but I shoot with Hogues or Pachmayrs...

Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My experience with revolvers are that wood grips are for pictures and display and rubber grips are for shooting. I have pretty wood for all of mine, but I shoot with Hogues or Pachmayrs...
Since I'm apparently not the only one on this, why don't those rubber grips come from the factory that way? That's like buying a new car and putting old tires on it. It Don't make sense to me. I didn't have that problem with the M28 or M25 S&W. Maybe the Ruger just doesn't fit my hand. I haven't shot the 686 S&W so,k maybe they're not much if any problem. There will be no SP100 in my future, however.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Is the trigger guard on a GP100 shaped differently than that or what? Mine looks a bit different. My GP100 came with the ugly rubber grips but now has some nicer ones with the wood inset.

Maybe try a few different revolvers to see if the problem is universal or brand-specific.

weird

check out these wood grips on a gp100 (different than mine) Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix High Polish Blue .357 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Ruger GP100 357 Mag : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
like mine

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.