Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Trigger Guard Hitting Knuckle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/trigger-guard-hitting-knuckle-34091/)

ColColt 11-08-2010 12:08 AM

Trigger Guard Hitting Knuckle

I was at the range Friday trying out my newly acquired S&W 6906 and next to me was a guy with a SP101. We talked about it for a while and he let me shoot it. It wasn't all that pleasurable in that the rear trigger guard kept whacking my knuckle. I guess that was the deciding factor of whether I was going to get one or not and that little experience settled it for me.

Yesterday they had a gun show and I saw several SP101's and picked one up to see why shooting one had bothered my knuckle and it seems it was nearly right up against the trigger guard. So, I tried a S&W 3 inch 686 and it was a bit further away but still close and I can imagine I'd experience pretty much the same thing with it. Maybe I'm bound to just shoot the autos. Sad as I really liked the SP101 and the 686+ in 3 inch as well but, neither am I into pain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as there's plenty of people who have both these revolvers and I've heard no complaints.

Dr. Marneaus 11-08-2010 01:12 AM

Which knucle is it hitting? The main on on your finger (middle one)? Im not sure how you're gripping the gun but I don't see how it could hurt the only knuckle that should be inside the trigger guard (the one closest to your fingernail)

dallascj 11-08-2010 02:01 AM

I experienced the same problem with my SP101 in .327 magnum. I just bought a Hogue Monogrip for it which seems to eliminate the problem as fills the gap between the triggerguard and gripframe. My knuckle is not against the triggerguard now. Unfortunately, I don't have any ammo for this thing so I haven't had it back at the range yet.

ColColt 11-08-2010 02:15 AM

It's hitting the middle finger knuckle. The trigger guard is right up against it when I hold it and I'm sure under recoil it's bashing against the knuckle.

In both the SP101 or the 686+ with Talon grips those are the ones I like and wouldn't want to have to change the grips. That is one factor why I've looked at both-I liked the factory grips-especially on the 686+ with Talon grips.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x..._2057125-1.jpg

skullcrusher 11-08-2010 02:37 AM

Just shave down your knuckle. Problem solved. :)

Seriously, that sucks. For defense, it won't matter and you won't feel it, but at the range it will be murder on you. A good friend has a Makarov that we shoot when we get together and it always makes my thumb knuckle near the web sore and bruised if I shoot it enough. I just shoot through the pain and then gripe about it for a week or two after. I would still love to have one for myself and I would carry it without concern.

Dr. Marneaus 11-08-2010 02:43 AM

Oh oh oh, I get it, your middle finger knuckle is hitting under the trigger guard, haha. I thought you were talking about your finger inside the guard.

ColColt 11-08-2010 02:44 AM

Maybe I could Dremel a little skin off to aid in better separation between trigger guard and knuckle...yep, that's the ticket. Wish it were that easy. I'm just not into pain so there must be a better solution than changing out good looking grips.

I'm so use to shooting autos and it's been literally decades since I've fired a revolver, perhaps I've forgotten how to hold them. I'll have to just rethink this.

NGIB 11-08-2010 10:56 AM

My experience with revolvers are that wood grips are for pictures and display and rubber grips are for shooting. I have pretty wood for all of mine, but I shoot with Hogues or Pachmayrs...

ColColt 11-08-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 382615)
My experience with revolvers are that wood grips are for pictures and display and rubber grips are for shooting. I have pretty wood for all of mine, but I shoot with Hogues or Pachmayrs...

Since I'm apparently not the only one on this, why don't those rubber grips come from the factory that way? That's like buying a new car and putting old tires on it. It Don't make sense to me. I didn't have that problem with the M28 or M25 S&W. Maybe the Ruger just doesn't fit my hand. I haven't shot the 686 S&W so,k maybe they're not much if any problem. There will be no SP100 in my future, however.

orangello 11-09-2010 12:56 AM

Is the trigger guard on a GP100 shaped differently than that or what? Mine looks a bit different. My GP100 came with the ugly rubber grips but now has some nicer ones with the wood inset.

Maybe try a few different revolvers to see if the problem is universal or brand-specific.

weird :confused:

check out these wood grips on a gp100 (different than mine) Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix High Polish Blue .357 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Ruger GP100 357 Mag : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
like mine