Totally random question about reloading a revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Totally random question about reloading a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Totally random question about reloading a revolver

So I've wondered why do SA revolvers have a loading gate on the right side while DA revolvers have cylinders that swing out to the left?

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Ammo is manipulated by the right hand in both instances.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Garadex,

I think the reason is simply due to a progression in design over the years. They Revolvers started out with Black Powder Cap and Ball Pistols Like the Navy Officers Model and the 44 New Army styles. Later they became center fire but the basic design in the pistol stayed the same except for centerfire and metallic cartridges which improved the loading time and certainly was less mess. Then came some of the Break Down Revolvers once again speeding up the loading process. Then the swing out cylinders which accessories were made to even speed up reloading evem more like Speed Loaders and Strips. Then we have went from the cylinders for the biggest part to semi-auto pistols faster reloads and now more ammo capacity. The same occurred with military long guns for example. From Flint Locks to Percussion Caps, to Trap Doors and then for example the Winchester Repeating Rifles and Yelllow Boys simply a continual design progression and assumed improvement. So I guess I would have to say it was only due to style, the time period and demand for wanted improvement. Of course if you get a chance Google Jerry Miculek where he shoots a cylinder revolver you will be amazed! Recently he took a semi-auto AR Rifle and competed against a full auto AK and you can not tell the difference in the last shot when both weapons fired the same amount of rounds.
But I do still love the old single action Army Revolvers and wished I had one! I have only had Rugers that were similar in design!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Evolution !

Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Most people are right handed and the firearms were designed around their needs. Lefties usually have to make do. The cylinder swings to the left because the latch is on the left. The loading gate is on the right because most shooters were right handed. Charter Arms makes a left handed revolver and the cylinder swings to the right.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #6

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hold a modern Colt or Smith & Wesson double action in your right hand, sort of in a shooting grip. Now activate the cylinder latch with yore thumb. What happens?

Nothing.

Now cradle the gun with your left hand and push the cylinder out with your fingers until you wrap your left thumb around it. You can either hold the cylinder stationary with your thumb, or (as I do) rotate it as you load fresh cartridges, loading the topmost chamber with each round.

That's just the way God intended.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 02-25-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Most revolvers have features incorporated into them dating back to their use by cavalry troopers, when reolading a revolver in the thick of battle while mounted on an unruly horse was expected. (This premise, incidentally, was among the objections raised when considering the adoption of the M1911 pistol.)

The S&W Schofield revolver is a classic example. The trooper held the reins in his left hand, the revolver in his right. He could pull back the barrel latch with his thumb and press the barrel against his thigh to break it open. He then transferred the open revolver to his left hand, still maintaining a grip on the reins. Now he could use his right hand to load cartridges into the cylinder and close the revolver.

Loading a single action Colt was somewhat the same, hold gun and reins in left hand, poke cartridges into the gun with your right hand.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 02-25-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Thank you for the clarification everyone, I just noticed it and it was bothering me.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
So I've wondered why do SA revolvers have a loading gate on the right side while DA revolvers have cylinders that swing out to the left?
Because Sam Colt was left handed!
Strange, but true!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Because Sam Colt was left handed!
Strange, but true!
Strange, but not true. Urban myth.

Bob Wright