You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Thinking of buying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have no problems handling my Dan Wesson 357 mag with a 10" barrel. Once you become accustomed to shooting pistols with a long barrel they are a joy to shoot. If I bought a heritage I would get a longer barrel. In fact, I would get a "hand rifle" with a 9" barrel. One thing about heavier handguns is they force you to use muscles you never thought you had. A certain amount of conditioning is required. All the heritage pistols are fairly heavy. A model with a 9" barrel is only a few ounces heavier than a model with a 4" barrel.

Edit: 22mag cartridges are loaded with rifle powder. You need a longer barrel for all the powder to burn. The gas will not completely expand in a 9" barrel but at least all the powder has a chance to burn.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-14-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

sorrry please delete duplicate post

Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #13

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I have no problems handling my Dan Wesson 357 mag with a 10" barrel. Once you become accustomed to shooting pistols with a long barrel they are a joy to shoot. If I bought a heritage I would get a longer barrel. In fact, I would get a "hand rifle" with a 9" barrel. One thing about heavier handguns is they force you to use muscles you never thought you had. A certain amount of conditioning is required. All the heritage pistols are fairly heavy. A model with a 9" barrel is only a few ounces heavier than a model with a 4" barrel.

Edit: 22mag cartridges are loaded with rifle powder. You need a longer barrel for all the powder to burn. The gas will not completely expand in a 9" barrel but at least all the powder has a chance to burn.
I never thought about it like that thank you, but I will almost exclusively shoot .22LR.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #14

Liked 2429 Times on 1316 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Everyone should have a 22lr revlover. I have the gun you speak of. Mine has been very good. I would not hesitate to buy another. Dont worry about the sights. Mine is dead on.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #15

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I should be going to a local dealer for 'em within the next two months so I'll be seeing which one is better for me soonish, 'till then I have to suffer in indecision.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #16

I would say that it depends on what you will be doing with it and what range you will be shooting with it if you want accuracy and wanna maybe hunt small game or just shoot a few more yards accurately I would go with unfixed sights

Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I have a vaquero with fixed sights in 45lc and I know it's not exactly the same but my fixed sights are dead on the money. I wouldn't adjust them even if I could. But as always it's ur gun, ur money, ur preference bud.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1229 View Post
Well I have a vaquero with fixed sights in 45lc and I know it's not exactly the same but my fixed sights are dead on the money. I wouldn't adjust them even if I could. But as always it's ur gun, ur money, ur preference bud.
The Ruger system of assembly makes all their guns dead on out of the box. The last Blackhawk I purchased was about 2 clicks low right out of the box. It has been years but I don't remember making any major adjustments to my older Blackhawks.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

Liked 1875 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 396

I shoot two S&W revolvers, both with fixed sights and both shoot close to point of aim, if I do. Howerver, if I snatch the trigger, flinch, fail to watch the sights, stand off balance, and hold my breath until I turn blue, I can't hit a damn thing. Adjustable sights won't fix that.

I will never be a great marksman, I started too late, my eyes are too old, and my hands shake a bit. So, perfectly aligned sights would not mean that much to me. I shoot enough to know that my Model 65-2 shoots a little high and right. If I aim a little low and left I do fine.......

Carl Sagan