Thinking about a Smith J frame for the wife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Thinking about a Smith J frame for the wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I usually recommend one that can be put in single action as well as double action for teh reason that learning to shoot a snubby is hard at first. Learning to shoot double action is even more dificult. I usually don't recommend a snubby revolver for newer shooters or women for that reason. They really are for experienced shooters.

But, stick with it. They can be mastered. Try staging the trigger through the initial double action stroke and then giving a final squeeze after the cylinder has stopped rotating. Also try different placement of the trigger finger while dry firing with snap caps until you can pull through without moving the front sight to the side as you pull.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #12

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I usually recommend one that can be put in single action as well as double action for teh reason that learning to shoot a snubby is hard at first. Learning to shoot double action is even more dificult. I usually don't recommend a snubby revolver for newer shooters or women for that reason. They really are for experienced shooters.

But, stick with it. They can be mastered. Try staging the trigger through the initial double action stroke and then giving a final squeeze after the cylinder has stopped rotating. Also try different placement of the trigger finger while dry firing with snap caps until you can pull through without moving the front sight to the side as you pull.
I felt more comfortable with the wife having DA only simply because if she is ever attacked all she has to do is pull the trigger, she doesn't have to remember to cock it in a stressful situation, also the hammer isn't there to make her think she has to waste precious time cocking it when she really can just shoot DA anyways. It is also mostly snag free. And from her point of view, its the one she liked the feel of the best, so couldn't really convince her otherwise. Believe me I had her handle many different models and she shoots my full size pistols, however she hasn't really shot enough of any pistol to develop solid mechanics, I'm gonna have to get busy at the loading bench so she can keep practicing. I will look into getting some snap caps as well, can't hurt to wear the trigger in some either.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I have a J38, .38 special. It is light, but has a great deal of bite when shot. Make sure your wife will deal with the recoil before you buy her one of these J frames. If she won't shoot it, it is not much better then a paperweight.

My wife shot mine once. Fires three shots of standard ball .38 special, and handed me the gun. Said she was done with that thing.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I have a J38, .38 special. It is light, but has a great deal of bite when shot. Make sure your wife will deal with the recoil before you buy her one of these J frames. If she won't shoot it, it is not much better then a paperweight.

My wife shot mine once. Fires three shots of standard ball .38 special, and handed me the gun. Said she was done with that thing.
We don't have that problem, my wife has shot many guns and not complained about any recoil, I already bought it for her for Christmas, she's fine with it.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #15

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I got my wife the 642 back in June for an anniversary gift. It has the rosewood grips. 18 lb trigger from the factory...... Yes it sux and a trigger job to bring it down to 8 lbs is in the works.

It shoots well and conceals easily.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange View Post
I got my wife the 642 back in June for an anniversary gift. It has the rosewood grips. 18 lb trigger from the factory...... Yes it sux and a trigger job to bring it down to 8 lbs is in the works.

It shoots well and conceals easily.
That's the one I wanted to get but couldn't find one locally so I just got the plain rubber grips, I will probably hunt down a set of the wood grips and put on for her since that was the ones she really liked, she likes it how it is though too.