Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Thinking about a Smith J frame for the wife (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/thinking-about-smith-j-frame-wife-78617/)

blucoondawg 12-16-2012 11:43 PM

Thinking about a Smith J frame for the wife

My wife has handled quite a few small revolvers and autos and has decided the best fit for her of all of the possibilities is the Smith and Wesson J frame 642, she liked the Ladysmith with the Rosewood grips. I am thinking about hunting one down for her for Christmas however I don't know much about the Smiths and have read that some, if not all have that internal lock, does anyone know do these J frames still have that locking mechanism or is it a thing of the past? I'd rather not get one with the lock if at all possible.

Rick1967 12-17-2012 12:19 AM

The old ones dont have the lock. All of the new ones do. I have a few of both. I dont use the lock. It hasnt caused a problem for me yet. I have put many many rounds through mine.

HOSSFLY 12-17-2012 12:11 PM

Find a gud used one without the lock if you can in time-
If not buy a new one & don't worry about it - forget the lock is there-
You'll have a excellant weapon either way.

CPO15 12-17-2012 03:54 PM

S&W does offer some new J frames w/o the lock; the 442 is one. Check their website or your LGS.

Kemosabe 12-20-2012 08:27 PM

This is a great choice for your wife. I got my wife this exact model for her birthday and she loves it. S&W also has a lifetime warranty.

fupuk 12-21-2012 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought my wife a 638 and she carries it everyday, so I think its a great purchase and a fine firearm.

blucoondawg 12-21-2012 12:41 PM

I picked up the 642 airweight DA only. Wanted to get a ladysmith as that was the one she really liked but on somewhat short notice I couldn't get my hands on one. The only difference I can see is the rosewood grips, I will probably order a set online and put them on then it will be identical to the ladysmith.

JTJ 12-21-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fupuk (Post 1060272)
I bought my wife a 638 and she carries it everyday, so I think its a great purchase and a fine firearm.

I got one of those for myself. It is my hiking gun. 1st round is snake shot and the rest are 125+P. Only 16 oz loaded.

blucoondawg 12-26-2012 01:06 AM

We did some shooting with the wife's new J frame today and boy do we both need practice, I haven't had time to do much pistol shooting this year and it really shows, both of us were pulling shots to the right of the target pretty badly, I doubt very much the fixed sights on the gun are off, I'm thinking we had some serious poor mechanics going on, lol. Oh well, practice, practice, practice.:)

Colby 12-26-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg (Post 1066261)
We did some shooting with the wife's new J frame today and boy do we both need practice, I haven't had time to do much pistol shooting this year and it really shows, both of us were pulling shots to the right of the target pretty badly, I doubt very much the fixed sights on the gun are off, I'm thinking we had some serious poor mechanics going on, lol. Oh well, practice, practice, practice.:)

Good to hear you are out there!