Thinkin about gettin a Ruger LCR
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Thinkin about gettin a Ruger LCR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Thinkin about gettin a Ruger LCR

I've been thinking for a while about what my next carry handgun will be. I currently have a Ruger P95 that is great! Fits in my hand perfectly and shoots great & problem free. I've looked at a few LCRs and I love how they feel as well. Anyone out there have one? Do you like it? Thanks for your input!
image-3629609029.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Less thinkin', more gettin'!!

It's my BUG, best trigger out of the box on most any snubbie I've tried, easy to carry, clean/maintain and shoot. She's a handful with .357's, .38's are more managable...duh...Go ahead and get it, you won't be sorry!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf84 View Post
I've been thinking for a while about what my next carry handgun will be. I currently have a Ruger P95 that is great! Fits in my hand perfectly and shoots great & problem free. I've looked at a few LCRs and I love how they feel as well. Anyone out there have one? Do you like it? Thanks for your input!
Hi NAF:

Just 2 weeks ago we bought my girlfriend the LCR in 38 Special for $399. It's much lighter than the 357 (much, much lighter ! ! ! and $100 cheaper !), and IMHO a 38 Special is all ya need. I can just about guarantee that I can double tap a target a lot faster with her 38 Spcl then most can with a 357, and both my hits will be center mass. I can surely empty the gun, all 5 shots, into a target in about half the time it would take most to do the same with a 357. And again, all my hits will be center mass. I've proved proved this time and again. The 38 is just so much easier to control. Skill, not caliber, is what counts. The power of a 357 is no substitute for skill. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would prefer a 38 to a 357, but shooting hers has changed my mind. Its super light weight, reliable as dirt, super accurate (I cut one ragged hole at 20 feet), and has a butter smooth trigger. What's not to like. I have a Ruger Redhawk and a GP100. But if I were cc'ing, it would be the LCR in 38 Spcl, not 357! It's that good! Now if I'm mountain biking in the Nicolet National Forest in Northeast Wisconsin (which is where I live), my GP 100 will be with me and loaded with full power 357 mag loads. We have black bear and wolves around here.

For ammo, I'm not a believer in any special purpose ammo, or +P ammo. While they have their place, I just have no need for them. What's loaded in my GP100 at night is what I've shot in it all day. 148 grain wadcutters ahead of 3.5 grain of Winchester 231 powder for around 850 FPS. I can dump all 6 rounds center mass in an almost dark room (can't even see the sights) about as fast as you can blink. I shoot a compound bow instinctively (no sights). With lots of practice, you learn where to "point".

I have 8 years in the Marine Corps, 45 years of competitive shooting experience, and have won my share of IPSC matches and bowling pin shoots with a revolver. I wouldn't feel under-guned with a 22 for home defense. I have a shooting range on my property and practice a lot. Skill and presence of mind is what will save your buns, not caliber. Think about it.

Don <><

Last edited by genesis; 06-24-2012 at 02:26 AM.
gwb8568 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis

Hi NAF:

Just 2 weeks ago we bought my girlfriend the LCR in 38 Special for $399. It's much lighter than the 357 (much, much lighter ! ! ! and $100 cheaper !), and IMHO a 38 Special is all ya need. I can just about guarantee that I can double tap a target a lot faster with her 38 Spcl then most can with a 357, and both my hits will be center mass. I can surely empty the gun, all 5 shots, into a target in about half the time it would take most to do the same with a 357. And again, all my hits will be center mass. I've proved proved this time and again. The 38 is just so much easier to control. Skill, not caliber, is what counts. The power of a 357 is no substitute for skill. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would prefer a 38 to a 357, but shooting hers has changed my mind. Its super light weight, reliable as dirt, super accurate (I cut one ragged hole at 20 feet), and has a butter smooth trigger. What's not to like. I have a Ruger Redhawk and a GP100. But if I were cc'ing, it would be the LCR in 38 Spcl, not 357! It's that good! Now if I'm mountain biking in the Nicolet National Forest in Northeast Wisconsin (which is where I live), my GP 100 will be with me and loaded with full power 357 mag loads. We have black bear and wolves around here.

For ammo, I'm not a believer in any special purpose ammo, or +P ammo. While they have their place, I just have no need for them. What's loaded in my GP100 at night is what I've shot in it all day. 148 grain wadcutters ahead of 3.5 grain of Winchester 231 powder for around 850 FPS. I can dump all 6 rounds center mass in an almost dark room (can't even see the sights) about as fast as you can blink. I shoot a compound bow instinctively (no sights). With lots of practice, you learn where to "point".

I have 8 years in the Marine Corps, 45 years of competitive shooting experience, and have won my share of IPSC matches and bowling pin shoots with a revolver. I wouldn't feel under-guned with a 22 for home defense. I have a shooting range on my property and practice a lot. Skill and presence of mind is what will save your buns, not caliber. Think about it.

Don <><
Awesome thank you! It's just another one of those guns that is hard to find a bad review on. Same with my P95.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis

Hi NAF:

Don <><
I couldnt agree more with you. For home and away 38sp is a great option.. Thats what my wife carries also ( she has a S&W 642 airweight, fit her hand the best) but i am getting the LCR after shooting hers i just love the 38sp. And the simpleness of the revolver... Your right, the follow up with the 38sp also makes it a great option, my wife can get all 5 center mass in rapid succession. I wouldnt bet on her do that with a .357.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks guys! I def think this is gonna be my next purchase. I was thinking about the sig sauer 229 scorpion in 9mm, but thats a pretty penny, & the same size as my current pistol. So the LCR will be next!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

When we bought a snubbie, it was for the wife and she got to decide. She wanted the S&W642 because she liked the shiny silver color. If it was me I would have gone with the LCR all day every day. But it's not my gun so I was totally supportive of her getting any gun that she liked enough to carry.

That said, there is a positive in having a 357 even if you plan to only shoot 38's. The extra mass allows for less recoil plus you have one more gun in the house that can shoot multiple calibers. Flexibility is good.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face