Tell me about Ruger SP101 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Tell me about Ruger SP101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Was over at the local gun shop/range at lunch and they had an SP101 on consignment in the case. They want $395, less than 100 rds thru it.
That's a pretty good price, Scott. I wouldn't worry about them not letting you take it to the range. Just ask them if you can dry-fire it, handle it a bit and TAKE IT HOME! Just do your typical pre-buy revolver inspection and don't worry the gun is good to go.

I LOVE my SP101. I carry it with an Uncle Mikes IWB size 2 with out hardly noticing it.

With any reasonable amount of practice you should be able to shoot any hot magnum loads all day long very pleasantly. A Houge mono-grip helps out too.

Enjoy!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy View Post
defense it gives little away to a 357 and holds one more round.
SP101s are all bomb proof guns but heavy.

S&W Airweight is far easier to carry and will hold up for a cc gun just fine (mine is 30+ years old).

If you anticipate dealing with larger critters than zombies, the S&W 329 has no equal at 26 oz in 44 Magnum.
The S&W 329PD is a bad-boy for sure. I love it for it's weight, but what a beast to shoot with Magnum loads. I have yet to see anyone cap off six consecutive rounds with my 329!

I always take my 329PD with me to the gun range, just so in case I encounter some " self-proclaimed Macho wannabe" that says a 329 ain't squat to shoot. I'll hand my 329PD over and say... give me 6 consecutive rounds punk.

Even "if" someone could pull the trigger 6 times, their hand, wrist and lower arm will be hamburger meat for at least a week or two.
329pd1.jpg   329pd2.jpg  

Old 05-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I always take my 329PD with me to the gun range, just so in case I encounter some " self-proclaimed Macho wannabe" that says a 329 ain't squat to shoot. I'll hand my 329PD over and say... give me 6 consecutive rounds punk.

Even "if" someone could pull the trigger 6 times, their hand, wrist and lower arm will be hamburger meat for at least a week or two.
Alright Mark, I've heard you tell your "can't shoot the 329PD 6 times" story enough now that I wanna be that next punk!

Where in Texas do you live? I'll drink a six-pack, take a couple shots and we'll get down to business. I'll even do ALL magnum loads , instead of your usual method of starting with a couple specials.

I'll even let you take pictures for your enjoyment!

Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #14

Default Flinch from an Airweight in 38 Special ?

They are not Plus P guns (as it would be a waste of time). With "normal" 125 Hornady JHPs it is no hard kicker. I daresay a 3" SP101 357 kicks a lot more.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Alright Mark, I've heard you tell your "can't shoot the 329PD 6 times" story enough now that I wanna be that next punk!

Where in Texas do you live? I'll drink a six-pack, take a couple shots and we'll get down to business. I'll even do ALL magnum loads , instead of your usual method of starting with a couple specials.

I'll even let you take pictures for your enjoyment!
D/FW area. Yeah, we'll save the Specials for the women folk...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #16

Default The must be breeding em' weaker in TX than

when I lived there. I'll run 4 cylinders of of 300 gr hardcasts with max loads of
H110 with CT laser grips through my 329 with no gloves or blood on the sand.
It's stout but with a 2 hand grip and experience with large bore handguns it is not difficult. A lot easier to shoot than a Freedom Arms 4.75" in 500 Wyoming Express.
My 329 is ALWAYS with me in the back country as we have large furry critters with claws and teeth. (especially when the scabbard has only fishing rods in it!)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
D/FW area. Yeah, we'll save the Specials for the women folk...
Wonderful, I have family that have been there my whole life. I usually visit annually, but need to start spending more time while its still there. . .

Miss it.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Wonderful, I have family that have been there my whole life. I usually visit annually, but need to start spending more time while its still there. . .

Miss it.
Come on down! We'll keep the light on for ya.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2096 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Bought the SP101 over lunch today. Traded in my Savage 93 on it. I haven't shot that rifle in years. Might as well trade it in on something I'll use.

This is what I anticipate will become my primary CC weapon. Might pick up a small auto before the law goes into effect in January, but I think the 101 will fit the bill pretty well for now.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the SP-101 in 357 and 327, crimson trace on both. I love them. The 357 has a bit more of a kick. 327 is like shooting a 22. I carry the 327 and also carry the Ruger LCP 380. Ruger has a lifetime warranty, can't go wrong with that.