Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Tell me about Ruger SP101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Default Tell me about Ruger SP101

I'm curious about the SP101 in .357. It appears to be a realistic small magnum.

Is it a good CCW gun? If you use it as such, how do you carry it? Does its weight preclude pocket carry?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never shot one but I'm interested and I've held a couple. They're a little on the heavy side, but I would personally carry one. The hammerless would be my choice for sure.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Hi Scott. I recently picked one up and I use it and my Kahr K9 (steel frame) as my carry pieces.

The sp101 is very sturdy, has nice lines, and handles the .357 well and 38 spl (including the +p i have tried) like a champ.

There are various carry rigs available as well as some very nice grips. The Hogues I have on mine right now make shooting for extended time very confortable.

Here are two recent links to sp101 discussions from the forums.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-revolver-sp101-n-questions-gurus-26554/ - mine is pretty much stock.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-improved-sp101-26191/ - this one is purdy

Old 05-13-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's a great revolver. It's built like a tank and will shoot magnum loads all day long. It's a bit heavy for pocket carry, but with the right holster, it's a great carry gun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #5

Liked 3717 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

I picked mine up for hiking in big Cat Country and carry it in a belly band holster which is very similar to wearing an ITP holster except the weight is strapped around your hips rather than pulling your pants down.

With this carry method I see no need to go to a lighter gun and a Stainless Steel SP101 is going to withstand several lifetimes of rugged use.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The SP101 is great little gun. I owned one until that darned house fire. It was accurate with 38s or 357s, easy to point and as CA357 mentioned it's a tank. I could feed that thing hot magnums all day and it was happy.
The factory grip is nice too because it completely covers the frame which helps soak up some of the recoil when shooting hot loads.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The SP101 is a great carry gun. My favourite set up is a 3" barrel and bobbed hammer. It's a bit bigger and heavier than a J frame S&W, but it's ridiculously strong and more pleasent to shoot with full power .357s.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I find my SP a bit unpleasant to shoot with hot loads. I wish it had adjustable sights and a 3" barrel. It shoots pretty much to point of aim with 110 gr JHPs. I don't feel undressed at all when I carry it, but really, it's not all that much smaller than my beloved Security Six and I KNOW I can hit what I'm shooting at with that one.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Default Look at the 32 Magnum version as for self

defense it gives little away to a 357 and holds one more round.
SP101s are all bomb proof guns but heavy.

S&W Airweight is far easier to carry and will hold up for a cc gun just fine (mine is 30+ years old).

If you anticipate dealing with larger critters than zombies, the S&W 329 has no equal at 26 oz in 44 Magnum.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Was over at the local gun shop/range at lunch and they had an SP101 on consignment in the case. They want $395, less than 100 rds thru it.

It didn't strike me nearly as heavy as some have made it out to be. Is it an Airweight... no, but I don't want a 12oz gun. What good is a gun if you flinch anticipating the pain.

Unfortunately, since it was a consignment deal, I couldn't take it back on the range.

Things that make you go "hmmm".

It's always a good lunch when you get to punch holes in paper. It's even better when your groups are better than the last time. Think I've got that left dip worked out.