Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Tell me about revolvers - I know nothing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Tell me about revolvers - I know nothing

I'm from the People's Republic of New Jersey, where we can only buy one gun a month and have to plan purchases way ahead of time. I currently own a Glock G22 (.40 cal) and have a Kimber Eclipse Custom II (.45 cal) on hold till I can legally pick it up in about 10 days. For my next acquisition I think I would like a revolver.

So, can someone give me a crash course - I know nothing about them other than what I have seen in movies -- so that is probably less than nothing.

What brands, what calibre, what features should I look for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What is the intended purpose, carry or range or HD or combo? Would you consider a used revolver or police tradein?

I LOVE my Ruger GP100 in .357mag/.38special. It has a 6" barrel for lowering felt recoil and improving sighting at the range, but it would not be optimal for a carry pistol in anything but a winter coat and shoulder holster. It does make big holes for Home Defense with the magnum rounds, but the .38 special ammo is really soft shooting for range work.

How-To-Buy-A-Used-Revolver

Good article on buying used revolvers.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-10-2013 at 09:29 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well since a normal human can't carry in the "PPR of NJ" it would be for fun at the range and perhaps HD. I guess I would consider used, although after reading your how-to-guide I guess I am a little concerned that I might get a lemon.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The best approach is, of course, to try shooting some and see what suits you.

A good used Smith & Wesson K-frame would be a fine choice for someone new to revolvers. I favor (and use) .38 Special for home defense because the extreme flash and blast of the .357 Magnum can (a) blind you temporarily at a time when you really need to see, and (b) cause permanent hearing damage in an enclosed space. You might look for a Smith Model 19, or the aforementioned Ruger. You could shoot the .357 AND .38 Special ammo in either, or in an L-frame S&W like a 586 or 686. Both companies have been making fine revolvers for many years. Rugers are built like bank vaults, and Smith & Wesson pretty much nailed revolver design in 1905 and have been making good ones ever since.

You can ask someone to show you how to look for signs of excessive wear (a little different in revolvers) or timing problems. Real lemons of either brand are rare and relatively easy to spot. Police trade-ins often have holster wear but have been shot very little.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think you should go with something large, either .357 or .44 magnum. .357 is cheaper, and can fire the cheaper easier to handle .38 special. A .44 magnum can shoot .44 special, however that is harder to find than .44 magnum.

I have a 6" gp100 in stainless and I love it. I just use it at the range and keep it ready to go at home. A smith would serve you well too.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #6

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

The heavy duty revolvers all have one thing in common - - they say "Ruger" on the barrel.
A GP100 or SP101 would be excellent choices.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #7

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
What is the intended purpose, carry or range or HD or combo? Would you consider a used revolver or police tradein?

I LOVE my Ruger GP100 in .357mag/.38special. It has a 6" barrel for lowering felt recoil and improving sighting at the range, but it would not be optimal for a carry pistol in anything but a winter coat and shoulder holster. It does make big holes for Home Defense with the magnum rounds, but the .38 special ammo is really soft shooting for range work.

How-To-Buy-A-Used-Revolver

Good article on buying used revolvers.
^^^THAT^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The heavy duty revolvers all have one thing in common - - they say "Ruger" on the barrel.
A GP100 or SP101 would be excellent choices.
^^^AND THAT^^^

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1680 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Ruger!! As soon as I run across one my next handgun is going to be an Alaskan. 44 mag prefered since I already own them and already setup to load for them but that 480 sounds pretty sweet as well. Will take what ever caliber I come to first.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #9

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

The Ruger GP100 has been gaining in popularity ever since its introduction in the 80's.
I own several but my favorite is the 4 inch barrel.

Long enough to beat almost any autoloader in acccuracy and short enough to be handy.

Built like a tank too.

In general Revolvers will be inherently more accurate due to fixed barrels and better balance and non moving slides compared to autoloaders.

They are not "gangster cool" or "SPECOPS cool"but extremely capable.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for Rugers. I currently have SPS-101, Security Six, GP-100 all chambered for 38 Spl/357 Mag. In addition, I own a Redhawk in 44Mag and a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. They are all extremely well made and are a pleasure to shoot. You can usually find the Rugers cheaper than the S&W's or Colts although those manufacturers make fine revolvers. If you look at some of the hotter-loaded ammo you will see a disclaimer saying not to use in any revolver but Rugers or Thompson Contenders.