Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > TAURUS Yes or No

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

No matter what forum every time Taurus is brought up there is a lot of "no" votes. So either it’s an internet conspiracy or there is something wrong with them? Someone else suggested it, I would look for a used S&W or Ruger. A used model 10 should be about what you’d pay for a new Taurus.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I am in the same delema. I desperately need a .44 mag for my collection, but am hesitant to spend a ton of money on one right now. The taurus looks tempting as far as price, but too many bad reviews are steering my away. I also just passed up an anaconda at $700 and now its gone. Now I am sick. Hopefully something else will come up.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 AM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I have heard is that Taurus used to make a lot of junk back in the day but has gottin a lot better over the years I think they come with a life time warranty that stays with the gun but have heard there costomer service sucks. I know a lot of guys that like the taurus 1911s saying there a good peice for the price and a lot that say there smaller calibers are fine but there magnums are crap. U get what u pay for. When it comes to revolvers I dont think u can beat a Ruger and I dont think they cost that much more then a Taurus.

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Last edited by David26; 07-28-2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #34

Taurus? Why not? I am new to guns but one thing came to light while researching and educating myself about firearms it seems as though 9/10 people I talked to who dislike Taurus have never even shot a single Taurus handgun or know anything regarding the company history.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - History

When I was doing my research, I was very well impressed with Taurus. I was not sure why lots of internet forums dis Taurus but I notice one trend and it goes something like this...

"I heard that Taurus is a hit or miss" or "Taurus aren't good guns because my cousin's friend's uncle's niece's yadyadayda..." whatever.

No mechanical device is perfect. Fords aren't perfect neither are all Hondas. Not all Rugers are perfect and neither are all Taurus. I just don't understand all the hate.

Anyhow, if I were to get a Taurus revolver this guy will be my pick.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #35

All depends on the model. I have found it is a guessing game some times as to good or not. Some are great some are not.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I have shot Taurus large caliber revolvers and they performed average. The front sight on the last one I shot came off during recoil and the gun (although it did have quite a bit of good use) seemed loose and kinda sloppy. The hammer took special care when using it for SA in order to get it to lock back.

I ended up getting a Ruger Blackhawk and have not shot it yet, but the selling price was not much more that Taurus. I have had a single-six since I was 5 (23 years) and it has been the most solid, reliable and EXTREMELY accurate (after careful sight adgustment... only once) handgun in my collection. The only reason I have not shot the Blackhawk is because I wanted stainless, not blued and might trade for one.

As far as the Taurus they do back their product with a warranty, but I hate sending something as important as a gun off for repairs and having to worry about it. But who knows you might get a good one and it will last a lifetime!?!

Last edited by diggsbakes; 08-02-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #37

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Most of the "bad reviews" seem a lot more like wishful thinking and third hand info by Smith people if you ask me. The very same ones who bemoan the new Smiths with the abominable safety, but rave about the old ones. I don't know why, but a lot of Smith people seem to see Taurus as the anti-Christ. I have owned a host of guns from all the manufacturers, and I don't see where Taurus is any worse or better than the rest of them. I have run into problems with all of them (I used to sell guns) and all of them took care of the problems, albeit not as fast as the customer might have wished. I personally have two Taurus revolvers right now, a .357 and a .44 Spl., and I like them as well as my others. These two have been totally trouble free, and so have most of the others I have seen.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
"...there have been a few threads here about them not being too good these days."

That's old news and old wife's tales. Taurus is in competition for our money and they are putting out quality products. I have two.

#1 Mod. 617, .357 mag, seven shooter.

#2 Mod. 85, .38 spl, UltraLite, 5 shooter.
I bought me a Model 85 .38 Special version.
model85.jpg