Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > TAURUS Yes or No

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"...there have been a few threads here about them not being too good these days."

That's old news and old wife's tales. Taurus is in competition for our money and they are putting out quality products. I have two.

#1 Mod. 617, .357 mag, seven shooter.

#2 Mod. 85, .38 spl, UltraLite, 5 shooter.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #22

My very first handgun was a brand new S&W 586 and when I fired it with Magnum loads the cases stuck so tight in the chambers I had to put the ejector rod against a table to remove them until it took a trip to the warranty station .

My used Taurus 669 works just fine as does my Taurus new PT 940 40 S&W caliber auto .

Which is a more fair statement ?

S&W is a POS overpriced junk and Taurus makes perfect guns !!

Or , Both Taurus and S&W are major gun manufactures cranking out tens of thousands of guns every year and you can get a lemon from either maker .

Think about it .

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Internet Quote of the Day -

'Fort Knocks'
Fort NOX

I have a few Taurus wheel "guns", and they're OK. They aren't my first choice though....

Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
J_B

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have owned several Taurus revolvers and they all seem to run like a timex with the Energiser bunny along for the ride, as these were in the Tracker lineup in .45 acp, and the .44 magnum with the mod 85 thrown in there.

I don't think you'll go wrong picking up that Taurus.

I recently purchased a used S&W 629 6" and had been also looking at a RB .480 Ruger in a 8 3/8ths barrel, but because of barrel length I did not select the Taurus right now.

For a new gun purchase one has the best of both worlds as they get a lifetime warrenty from Taurus, and a free 1 yr membership into the NRA as a bonus.

We will see what my next revolver purchase is as I like Smith & Wesson's and Taurus revolvers as well.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
I have owned several Taurus revolvers and they all seem to run like a timex with the Energiser bunny along for the ride, as these were in the Tracker lineup in .45 acp, and the .44 magnum with the mod 85 thrown in there.

I don't think you'll go wrong picking up that Taurus.

I recently purchased a used S&W 629 6" and had been also looking at a RB .480 Ruger in a 8 3/8ths barrel, but because of barrel length I did not select the Taurus right now.

For a new gun purchase one has the best of both worlds as they get a lifetime warrenty from Taurus, and a free 1 yr membership into the NRA as a bonus.

We will see what my next revolver purchase is as I like Smith & Wesson's and Taurus revolvers as well.
I have a S&W 629 Hunter, a Colt King Cobra, and a few Taurus wheel guns. There is no question the S&W and Colt are superior quality to the Taurus, BUT my Taurus works great. From a selling perspective both the S&W and Colt command top dollar.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have an S&W 629 Classic 44 Mag, S&W 629 Hunter 44 Mag, Ruger Bisley 44 Mag, Ruger Vaquero 44 Mag, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag, and a Taurus Tracker 44 Mag.

That's a lot of 44's... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #27
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1110 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 520

I think everyones quality has gone downhill over the last few years. I have a Taurus Raging Bull 44 mag and it is the best 44 mag I have ever had with the exception of a S&W Performance Center. I sold off all of my others soon after I got the Taurus,and have had good luck with several other guns that they make. I have heard that their customer service isn't very good,but if I ever have any problems I would probably just take them to a local gunsmith to get fixxed.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's probably so these days. American labor is expensive.

I do like my Taurus, but a PC Smith & Wesson is top dog for fit & finish.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #29

Default Taurus quality

I own a Taurus .44 mag and a PT-99 (older pre-lock model with rosewood grips). Both function very well. Incidentally, unlike the S&W 629 that I used to own, you can fire full magnum loads one-handed bullseye style without getting dinged on your knuckles. Taurus designed the trigger guard with a lot of thought.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #30

I own a Taurus 357 snubby myself. Bought it used. Managed to bend the cylinder pin on my third range visit (probably from being a dumb-arse and doing the snap-it-closed move. Yeah, it was my first revolver.)

Sent it back to Taurus, and they fixed it up. No questions asked about ownership, no hassles at all. Took six weeks, though. Now it's a nice li'l gun.

One thing you may not have considered: accessories. I ordered a Crimson Trace lasergrip for my Taurus revolver, and the two halves of the grips didn't meet in the back. There was a good pennies-width of play where I could kinda close the gap, but not really. I got a new set of lasergrips under warranty, and they had the very same problem. I doubt that Crimson Trace is in the habit of making shoddy products, but I ALSO doubt that something more well-known (say, a S&W J-frame) is gonna have the same problems with accessories Not Quite Fitting.