Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   TAURUS Yes or No (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/taurus-yes-no-4599/)

Boris 05-24-2008 07:05 AM

TAURUS Yes or No

I would like some advice please because I know a lot of you guys have you have experience with Taurus revolvers, along obviously with a great number of others. I will be training in the South West and I have no longer any firearms over there, and was thinking it might be an idea to buy a revolver when I am over. Now all I want it for is when laying tracks out in the bush from time to time you come acrss snakes (hate them). I used to carry a Ruger SP101 with a cocktail including snake rounds in it, and it served me for many years. But I don't want the hassel of bringing it back and forth to Europe. I have it licenced here, good gun a little heavy....

I fancy something minimum five shot, relatively inexpensive (can't keep it as I will have to leave it at the US office in the safe) short barrelled revolver, compact and fairly light don't want to hump a cannon about..............

I thought about the Taurus and I always thought they where well manfactured revolvers and I had decided to look for one, but there have been a few threads here about them not being too good these days. I know Pioneer has a couple and I would be greatful for a definate opinion, or and alternative.....thanks:o

chorst294 05-24-2008 12:19 PM

In my opinion, I believe quality with Taurus is hit or miss. I had a great model 85, but have had problems with other models. If price is important, I'd purchase a good used S&W or Ruger.

ScottG 05-24-2008 04:51 PM

Boris, when I went looking for my first handgun I looked in a few gunshops for a Taurus in .357. I was in one particular shop and asked about one and the owner said he didn't have one, but he had a police trade in S&W. It was just what I was looking for. I don't know if you want a four inch barrel, but the Model 19 is a very nice gun. Because it was a police trade in, it didn't have much wear and it dates from the '70s. I paid just under $300 for it in 2006. I've had no trouble with it. Changed the grips to rubber ones, but the mechanics are very good. Might not be that easy to conceal, but I don't think you said you wanted to do that.

BigO01 05-24-2008 06:03 PM

Well I look at it like this Taurus is a major supplier for police and perhaps military in South America and a "recreational" supplier for America as such they make tens if not hundreds of thousands of guns every year

With that kind of production bad ones are bound to slip by QC .

My first pistol was a S&W 586 and it had to be sent in for repair , my second a Colt 1911 and it was sent to a gunsmith for over $200 worth of work before it became a 100% reliable weapon .

These kinds of things can either drive you nuts or you can take them in stride and understand it is all part of the wonderful world of Mass Production , especially computer controlled mass production .

I have 2 Tauri 1 a revolver and the other a 40cal auto pistol both run just fine .

Boris 05-24-2008 06:54 PM

ScottG,

You might be right, 19/13/10 or something like that might well suit me, I have no intention to carry it other that out tracking or something like that...thanks

Catfish 05-25-2008 01:40 AM

I own a Rageing Bull in .454 and have never had a problem with it. BUT ! I do know a couple that have had touble with their guns and their customer service is crap. I know 2 guys personally that hasseled with them for over 6mo. to get a problem solved, 1 with a gun that was never fired and the other had about 2 boxes of ammo through it when it died. I won`t buy another untill I`ve heard good things about their customer service for a while.

hillbilly68 05-26-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 25321)
...... I do know a couple that have had touble with their guns and their customer service is crap. I know 2 guys personally that hasseled with them for over 6mo. to get a problem solved, 1 with a gun that was never fired and the other had about 2 boxes of ammo through it when it died. I won`t buy another untill I`ve heard good things about their customer service for a while.

+1 not sure if their quality is going up, but IMO I wouldn't touch a Taurus for a while to come. Just my opinion. Better off getting a good used Ruger GP or S&W for about the same $ if you shop around. I have read (not experienced) that there are QC issues in the company, and there are just too many other options to risk buying a potentially sub-par weapon. Again, just an opinion. Good luck to you.

RONSERESURPLUS 05-26-2008 11:00 PM

Taurus, Yes or No? I'd say NOOOOOO

Boris

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I have to run with Hillbilly on this one! While I have owned a few Taurus 38's both were snub 38's and I was very happy with them, I belive Model 85? I have seen an alarming tend in a lot of taurus 357, and a few 44 mag Revolvers to have a lot of Problems! While it never happened to me, it did happen tom folks I sold thier guns for them and we had to back peddle when we had problems? I know of your in and out of the country issues, and if you have a taurus problem and have to have it chasing you all over, thats not good man! I'd say look for a used S & W or Colt Police Turn in, as many of them can still be had for a good Dollar! I'd aviod Ruger Revolvers as I just don't like the Companies politics and frankly they just don't make a consealable revolver to my tastes? Good luck and tell us if we can help in your search? Good Hunting!

seedy 05-27-2008 02:29 AM

I have a mdl94 22lr and a mdl85UL in .38 spc. Both of these are good revolvers. I had a friend that had a RB in 454 that had to go back to the factory several times. I think it was him jumping back and forth between cowboy 45colt and factory 454 loads without cleaning it properly was the problem. Still thats just a guess. I would recommend a non magnum Taurus any time.

Boris 05-27-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS (Post 25519)
Boris

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I have to run with Hillbilly on this one! While I have owned a few Taurus 38's both were snub 38's and I was very happy with them, I belive Model 85? I have seen an alarming tend in a lot of taurus 357, and a few 44 mag Revolvers to have a lot of Problems! While it never happened to me, it did happen tom folks I sold thier guns for them and we had to back peddle when we had problems? I know of your in and out of the country issues, and if you have a taurus problem and have to have it chasing you all over, thats not good man! I'd say look for a used S & W or Colt Police Turn in, as many of them can still be had for a good Dollar! I'd aviod Ruger Revolvers as I just don't like the Companies politics and frankly they just don't make a consealable revolver to my tastes? Good luck and tell us if we can help in your search? Good Hunting!

I think your right on the money Ron, I am convinced, I had a friend of mine have a few Model 85's and they appeared to be good revolvers, but reports from the forum indicate that they have some disturbing problems with their product and services. I will not be in position to complain to a customer services department, I will take your advice and that of ScottG and Hillbilly....thanks guys!..........................:)