Taurus tracker 357 issues
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus tracker 357 issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Taurus tracker 357 issues

I recently purchased a Taurus 357 Tracker and was disappointed at the quality I have noticed on this revolver. After 25 shots the cylinder locks up and I need to use a mallet to get the cylinder out. After looking carefully it looks like it is eating copper on the top of the back strap. After cleaning it out and allowing it to cool it shoots fine until I get 25 more rounds through it. At this time I get no shavings but the cylinder still locks up. It looks like they have tried to make the tolerances too tight. Has anyone had this issue with their 357 Tracker before? What can I do with out having to send it back to the manufacture to get this fixed?i live in California and the gun shops do not want to take care of the shipping so I am stuck with an additional $75 bill to get this fixed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22107 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlight View Post
I recently purchased a Taurus 357 Tracker and was disappointed at the quality I have noticed on this revolver. After 25 shots the cylinder locks up and I need to use a mallet to get the cylinder out. After looking carefully it looks like it is eating copper on the top of the back strap. After cleaning it out and allowing it to cool it shoots fine until I get 25 more rounds through it. At this time I get no shavings but the cylinder still locks up. It looks like they have tried to make the tolerances too tight. Has anyone had this issue with their 357 Tracker before? What can I do with out having to send it back to the manufacture to get this fixed?i live in California and the gun shops do not want to take care of the shipping so I am stuck with an additional $75 bill to get this fixed.
contact Taurus customer service and explain your problem and your situation. they may send you a pre-paid shipping box and then send it back to you. Taurus has a lifetime warranty if i remember correctly. seems i have read about this same problem others have had with their revolvers.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sounds like the revolver is 1) Out of time (spitting) and
2) Barrel/cylinder gap is too tight. There could also be other
issues as well. Send it back to Tawrust and they should fix
it.
When you get it back, trade it for a Ruger GP100 and
never look back.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
People Like This 
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
contact Taurus customer service and explain your problem and your situation. they may send you a pre-paid shipping box and then send it back to you. Taurus has a lifetime warranty if i remember correctly. seems i have read about this same problem others have had with their revolvers.
Only had a problem with one Taurus revolver out of a dozen at least-
THAT was the problem- I just took it back to my local dealer & traded it for another----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts

I just have to laugh at the people who sneer at my 30+ year old Taurus Model 66 .357 magnum. Then while I punch out a one ragged hole target they pretty much just go away. I must have 10000 rounds through her and she still puts them where I aim them. The only part I have ever had to replace was a cylinder latch spring in all that time.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Although I must profess to being predjudiced against Taurus due to
some past experiences, I did buy my Mother a Taurus 85 and so far
there hasn't been any problems with it.
It seems to me that Smith & Wesson has done a reversal. Their
revolvers used to be great and the autos were less than desirable.
Now the autos seem to be well made and the revolvers aren't so
great. Of course the lock hole business doesn't help a lot either.
Just my opinion.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
When you get it back, trade it for a Ruger GP100 and
never look back.
Good advice.
When I got my Taurus Tracker back from the factory I sold it and got a Security Six and never looked back.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

They said no I was responsible for the $85 over night fedex insured package. Never again. Will I ever purchase a Taurus anything again. Their Customer No Service SUCKS!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310
Although I must profess to being predjudiced against Taurus due to
some past experiences, I did buy my Mother a Taurus 85 and so far
there hasn't been any problems with it.
It seems to me that Smith & Wesson has done a reversal. Their
revolvers used to be great and the autos were less than desirable.
Now the autos seem to be well made and the revolvers aren't so
great. Of course the lock hole business doesn't help a lot either.
Just my opinion.
My smith 659 45 ASCP comp from the custom shop will out shout anything I have and that is a lot. It was expensive but never ever had an issue. The autos are coming along but they have to come from the custom shop along with a Hugh price to be reliable. My Kimberly cep pro II though has been back at Kimberly 3 times for repairs. One was a seer one was a new slide the next was the springs. They said I need to replace the springs every 800 rounds. I can do that on a weekend. I don't carry it any more it just isn't as reliable as my para LDP or my Kahr CW9.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1278 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have a bunch of Taurus handguns, revolvers and semiautos. They have all been perfectly OK for me. I have heard some tales about them having problems, so apparently they have some quality control issues. They do have a lifetime repair policy, so maybe you could just send it back and get it fixed. Or maybe a local gunsmith can take care of it for you.