taurus revolver problems anyone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > taurus revolver problems anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default taurus revolver problems anyone?

hello friends.. ive always heard good things about taurus revolvers but while looking around online tonight, Ive discovered many people having problems with their taurus's cylinder off timing ,barrel jamming etc... i own the model 605 .357 mag and have had no problems,yet, i've only shot about 10 rounds through it...is it just luck of the draw with these weapons ,or are they quality weapons with just a few coming out of the factory with flaws.thank you

the other thing is that ive even read a few s&w owners having complaints so i guess you cant have a perfectly functional and reliable firearm unless it is a 12 ga. pump lol
thanks

Last edited by CodyWalkerJr; 02-24-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #2

I have had many taurus guns and the only real problem I had was with a 22 tracker revolver. The cylinder would jam. I sent it back, they fixed it for free and it shoots great now, and is also the most accurate 22 handgun I own.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWalkerJr View Post
...had no problems yet, but i've only shot about 10 rounds through it...
Ten (10) rounds?? You haven’t even got the thing dirty yet!

Every new gun I get has a first time check-out that includes, at minimum, 100 rds down range. If your check-out only includes four target distances that's only throwing 25 rds each!

You need to get a lot more time on your gun before you start touting its reliability! And certainly before you start to carry it for PD!
I don’t whisper the word RELIABLE about a gun until I get 1K downrange and won’t carry her until I have 500 incident free rounds through her including 50-100 of those in JHP PD ammo.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

EVERY Taurus revolver I've owned, including the 4 I currently own, has went bang every time the trigger was pulled, and Have exhibited NO problems whatsoever. This includes a lineup of 1 .44mag, 2 .44 special titanium snubbys, and a .454 obtained used through trade. Even the Millennium Pro PT745C and the PT1911 .45s has been boringly reliable. This involves thousands of rounds fired collectively.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

I have the 605, and it has never failed to fire. Awesome gun. I have the M66 as well for daily carry and I love it.

I have actually done a ton of research into Taurus reliability (and still am). Right now it looks as if Taurus had a history of inconsistent manufacturing practices up to 1999 or so; and this created the stigma associated with their guns.

Any Taurus made after 2000 seems to have gone up in quality significantly, due to Taurus switching to computerized CNC machinery.

Furthermore, Taurus has an extremely good Guarantee. Statistically, it is possible that you could end up dealing with a long turnaround time, and some less than delightful service in getting it done, but they DO honor their guarantee. I for one have used teh guarantee once, and they repaired and returned the weapon im 3 weeks with no complaints or problems.

Basically, they have a bad reputation from long ago. Most of their modern customers have naught but good things to say, though.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #6

thanks a lot for the input friends..yes i know i need some range time with it but i just bought her and only fired a few times in the garage .it can be a little pricey to shoot 500 .357 mags also....

1 more question.. any preferred ammunition for the model 605 .357 mag
right now i have federal 158 grain hydra shok jacketed h.p's and some winchester 125 grain jsp. target loads..just wondering if any one has a suggestion for what this revolver likes to eat

thanks guys

Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #7

also canebrake i did not tout its reliability i simply stated i havent had a problem with it and was curious to find if people like yourself who HAVE fired hundreds or thousands of rounds from it, experienced any defects

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #8

158's in that little gun are gonna hurt. I know. Stick with the the 125's. Very manageable.

I have almost 3000 rounds through my 605. Love that gun.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #9

appreciate the input scrapper. im still debating just keeping 38 specials in it what do you think .a lot lower recoil but still has the stopping power.

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #10

Try .38+p. It's a good compromise. But if you shoot a lot, the 125 grain .357 is very manageable, and I like the extra oomph considering how short the barrel is.

Regular .38 special from that 2" barrel is going to be kinda slow-moving. You are looking at 700-850 fps for most loads. The good news is that recoil is hardly noticeable, and is generally considered to be "good enough" for self-defense.

125 grain .357 can still get to 1200-1300 fps even from the 2" barrel. Recoil is enthusiastic, but not that bad. Will definitely ruin a bad guy's day. No questions asked.

.38+P will be somewhere between them, and is very comfortable to shoot.

Get jacketed hollow points for any of these to maximize unpleasantness for your antagonist...