Taurus Public Defender
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus Public Defender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Taurus Public Defender

Hello all,

I'm looking at picking up a Circuit Judge as a multi-tasking rifle as part of a bugout kit and I an thinking of picking up a Public Defender as a carry gun to take advantage of the same ammunition.

I've been out of the gun hobby for about 20 years and would appreciate any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

When the Judge frist came out, I just had to have one. I've never owned a Taurus nor have I ever wanted one before that. I carried it around my farm, which has several lakes, just to shoot some of the many snakes that live there. The 410 would not kill them unless you were closer than I wanted to be. The 45 was ok but I have other guns that are more accurate and smaller. What I'm trying to say is...to me the gun is to large to ccw and 410 spreds a pattern so wide, you have to be close to kill anything bigger that a grasshopper.
I have nothing againist the revolving rifle except looking through my eye's. it' ugly.
The bottom line is do what I have done over the last 100 years of my life...if I saw something I wanted I bought it and later on I may have regretted it.
There's one gun I never regretted buying though and that any kind of Colt made. I've never sold any of my Colts. Wish I could help more but I'm sure you'll receive more feedback, because there are lots of Taurus lovers on this forum.

Gone to Nepal for the summer, be back in Sept. No computer service there. Be good

Old 03-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamarathin View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking at picking up a Circuit Judge as a multi-tasking rifle as part of a bugout kit and I an thinking of picking up a Public Defender as a carry gun to take advantage of the same ammunition.

I've been out of the gun hobby for about 20 years and would appreciate any advice.
I have been through 2 Judges, both had to be sent back to the factory. I bought the S & W Govenor (sp). It is fantastic, VERY well made. Please understand that these guns with a 410 shot shell are perfect for bedroom defense, but outside the house they are only good for maybe 10 ft unless you have the 45 long colt in it. If you are bugging out... get a Glock.

-Bob

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Never even shot one BUT even most Taurus bashers will (should) admit it sure filled a much wanted gap--- Judging by the sales of them critters anyways

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Hello all,

Perhaps this video might be of some help regarding Taurus Public Defender.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Never even shot one BUT even most Taurus bashers will (should) admit it sure filled a much wanted gap--- Judging by the sales of them critters anyways
The Taurus was perfect for a bedside or RV gun. Put 000 buck in it and someone has 3 or 4 .36 CAL balls flying at them. The start to spread very quickly beyond 7 ft. I just wasn't impressed with the Taurus quality, after maybe 50 rounds, the cylinder would come out of time on two different guns. I got the S&W Governor and zero problems. Very well made AND you can shoot 45 auto, which the Taurus will not.

-Bob

Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Much better choices out there.

If you are in the middle of your bug-out, it's going to be difficult to sent the gun back to Taurus to fix the timing. I'm just sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hm, sounds like the condensus is more on bad quality than overall functionality.

I looked at the Governor, but it seems to require moon clips for the ACP rounds and is a good deal larger, making it not so good for conceal carry.

It should be noted that the Cirquit Judge is for the bug out. The revolver is for conceal carry in my day to day life. The lack of need to buy separate types of ammo for my rifle and my pistol is a large part of my thinking on this.

Am I wrong about the Governor's concealability?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
It's a less than desirable Am I wrong about the Governor's concealability?
It has a less than desirable reputation with no personal defense efficacy other than maybe a snake or two. Its uglier than a glock with the mass of a small galaxy. What more would you want in a carry gun?

That's my YMMV

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Hm, sounds like the condensus is more on bad quality than overall functionality.

I looked at the Governor, but it seems to require moon clips for the ACP rounds and is a good deal larger, making it not so good for conceal carry.

It should be noted that the Cirquit Judge is for the bug out. The revolver is for conceal carry in my day to day life. The lack of need to buy separate types of ammo for my rifle and my pistol is a large part of my thinking on this.

Am I wrong about the Governor's concealability?
note that the Taurus does not allow the use of 45 acp. only 45 lc and 410. the SW allows for 45acp, 45lc and 410. the moon clips are only for the acp.

Both seem a bit heavy and large for cc in my opinion. I understand your logic with the same ammo though. Why not a 9mm carbine and pistol? not to change the subject just sayin.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson