Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Taurus Public Defender (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/taurus-public-defender-60486/)

Kamarathin 03-18-2012 07:36 AM

Taurus Public Defender

Hello all,

I'm looking at picking up a Circuit Judge as a multi-tasking rifle as part of a bugout kit and I an thinking of picking up a Public Defender as a carry gun to take advantage of the same ammunition.

I've been out of the gun hobby for about 20 years and would appreciate any advice.

chewchew 03-19-2012 07:08 PM

When the Judge frist came out, I just had to have one. I've never owned a Taurus nor have I ever wanted one before that. I carried it around my farm, which has several lakes, just to shoot some of the many snakes that live there. The 410 would not kill them unless you were closer than I wanted to be. The 45 was ok but I have other guns that are more accurate and smaller. What I'm trying to say is...to me the gun is to large to ccw and 410 spreds a pattern so wide, you have to be close to kill anything bigger that a grasshopper.
I have nothing againist the revolving rifle except looking through my eye's. it' ugly.
The bottom line is do what I have done over the last 100 years of my life...if I saw something I wanted I bought it and later on I may have regretted it.
There's one gun I never regretted buying though and that any kind of Colt made. I've never sold any of my Colts. Wish I could help more but I'm sure you'll receive more feedback, because there are lots of Taurus lovers on this forum.

FlBob518 03-19-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamarathin (Post 743888)
Hello all,

I'm looking at picking up a Circuit Judge as a multi-tasking rifle as part of a bugout kit and I an thinking of picking up a Public Defender as a carry gun to take advantage of the same ammunition.

I've been out of the gun hobby for about 20 years and would appreciate any advice.

I have been through 2 Judges, both had to be sent back to the factory. I bought the S & W Govenor (sp). It is fantastic, VERY well made. Please understand that these guns with a 410 shot shell are perfect for bedroom defense, but outside the house they are only good for maybe 10 ft unless you have the 45 long colt in it. If you are bugging out... get a Glock.

HOSSFLY 03-19-2012 08:34 PM

Never even shot one BUT even most Taurus bashers will (should) admit it sure filled a much wanted gap--- Judging by the sales of them critters anyways :rolleyes:

PanBaccha 03-19-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamarathin (Post 743888)
Hello all,

Perhaps this video might be of some help regarding Taurus Public Defender.

FlBob518 03-20-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 745251)
Never even shot one BUT even most Taurus bashers will (should) admit it sure filled a much wanted gap--- Judging by the sales of them critters anyways :rolleyes:

The Taurus was perfect for a bedside or RV gun. Put 000 buck in it and someone has 3 or 4 .36 CAL balls flying at them. The start to spread very quickly beyond 7 ft. I just wasn't impressed with the Taurus quality, after maybe 50 rounds, the cylinder would come out of time on two different guns. I got the S&W Governor and zero problems. Very well made AND you can shoot 45 auto, which the Taurus will not.

canebrake 03-20-2012 04:49 PM

Much better choices out there.

If you are in the middle of your bug-out, it's going to be difficult to sent the gun back to Taurus to fix the timing. I'm just sayin'. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

Kamarathin 03-20-2012 09:12 PM

Hm, sounds like the condensus is more on bad quality than overall functionality.

I looked at the Governor, but it seems to require moon clips for the ACP rounds and is a good deal larger, making it not so good for conceal carry.

It should be noted that the Cirquit Judge is for the bug out. The revolver is for conceal carry in my day to day life. The lack of need to buy separate types of ammo for my rifle and my pistol is a large part of my thinking on this.

Am I wrong about the Governor's concealability?

canebrake 03-20-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamarathin (Post 746417)
It's a less than desirable Am I wrong about the Governor's concealability?

It has a less than desirable reputation with no personal defense efficacy other than maybe a snake or two. Its uglier than a glock with the mass of a small galaxy. What more would you want in a carry gun?

That's my http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...entPenny-2.jpg YMMV

Cattledog 03-20-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamarathin (Post 746417)
Hm, sounds like the condensus is more on bad quality than overall functionality.

I looked at the Governor, but it seems to require moon clips for the ACP rounds and is a good deal larger, making it not so good for conceal carry.

It should be noted that the Cirquit Judge is for the bug out. The revolver is for conceal carry in my day to day life. The lack of need to buy separate types of ammo for my rifle and my pistol is a large part of my thinking on this.

Am I wrong about the Governor's concealability?

note that the Taurus does not allow the use of 45 acp. only 45 lc and 410. the SW allows for 45acp, 45lc and 410. the moon clips are only for the acp.

Both seem a bit heavy and large for cc in my opinion. I understand your logic with the same ammo though. Why not a 9mm carbine and pistol? not to change the subject just sayin.