Taurus Polymer Public Defender? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus Polymer Public Defender?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

^ Ruger LCR 357 mag

Best DA trigger out there!

If you want a wheel gun concealable BUG, then that right there is the golden ticket.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
If you want a wheel gun concealable BUG, then that right there is the golden ticket.
That looks pretty cool! So would you say thats one of the best revolvers for officers?
Thanks so much for the advice guys

Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlaham View Post
That looks pretty cool! So would you say thats one of the best revolvers for officers?
Thanks so much for the advice guys
What the department you're hired at suggests. (if they even suggest revolvers.)
IMO, you could not do wrong buying a used, quality 4" barrel in .357Magnum. Practice with .38spl ammo. It may not be exotic, futuristic, "amaze the guys at the range" thing, but it works and will teach you a lot.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
What the department you're hired at suggests. (if they even suggest revolvers.)
IMO, you could not do wrong buying a used, quality 4" barrel in .357Magnum. Practice with .38spl ammo. It may not be exotic, futuristic, "amaze the guys at the range" thing, but it works and will teach you a lot.
Thanks for clearing that up man

Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlaham View Post
Hey guys, I haven't posted on here in a good while, but I just wanted to know what you think of this gun.
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
So what do you think? Good for concealed carry, too big? Good self defense fun? Perhaps back up gun for officers?
Thanks, Skylar.
I have seen the standard Taurus series of Judge guns already lock-up when firing standard ammo. When the gun "locks up" you are done shooting, until you get the cylinder to release, or in other words you are dead now. My my, but don't that gun make the Ruger LCR look pretty!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'm surprised that more folks haven't chimed in to suggest the classic answer to ANY "What should be my first handgun" question. Especially since this fellow is fond of Revolvers and an adult. (obviously young shooter begin with rim-fires)

Your first handgun should be something you never part with. Something that holds true sentimental value. Something that can be used for many different applications, until you can afford yourself a second handgun that may fill your other personal defense or sporting needs.

So . . . being that you like Revolvers (I'm a wheel-gun type of guy as well. ) GET A .357!!!

Cane's suggestion of the LCR in .357 is great for concealed carry/BUG, but if you want an all around shooter, woods gun, truck gun, defender of 2 and 4 legged threatening creatures and something that will last a lifetime of use and you'll still have to pass it on to your children, BUY A RUGER OR SMITH AND WESSON revolver!

In my opinion the most logical suggestions are:

- The GP100 4" It is built as solid as can be and can withstand any type of load you put in it. They shoot great and can be found in the $400 range used, in good condition

- Any Smith and Wesson .357 they are abundant on used market as well and can be had in many different flavors. They have better triggers than the Rugers, but can't take quite as much abuse.

Those are really what you want in a first gun, you won't regret it!

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I'm surprised that more folks haven't chimed in to suggest the classic answer to ANY "What should be my first handgun" question. Especially since this fellow is fond of Revolvers and an adult. (obviously young shooter begin with rim-fires)

Your first handgun should be something you never part with. Something that holds true sentimental value. Something that can be used for many different applications, until you can afford yourself a second handgun that may fill your other personal defense or sporting needs.

So . . . being that you like Revolvers (I'm a wheel-gun type of guy as well. ) GET A .357!!!

Cane's suggestion of the LCR in .357 is great for concealed carry/BUG, but if you want an all around shooter, woods gun, truck gun, defender of 2 and 4 legged threatening creatures and something that will last a lifetime of use and you'll still have to pass it on to your children, BUY A RUGER OR SMITH AND WESSON revolver!

In my opinion the most logical suggestions are:

- The GP100 4" It is built as solid as can be and can withstand any type of load you put in it. They shoot great and can be found in the $400 range used, in good condition

- Any Smith and Wesson .357 they are abundant on used market as well and can be had in many different flavors. They have better triggers than the Rugers, but can't take quite as much abuse.

Those are really what you want in a first gun, you won't regret it!

Good Luck!
Thanks man, this got through to me on a more personal and and sentimental level.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Right on brother. It was straight from the heart. . .

Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I'd go as far and say that ANYBODY starting to shoot handguns should start with rim-fire. I fell into the "I wanna have a gun that looks cool as my first gun" trap, and I have been correcting my errors since then. So in this case a S&W/Ruger .22LR caliber would be recommenable. The bottom line is with this setup you can shoot a lot (in terms of cost), i.e. practice a lot....

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I would agree, IF and only if this gentleman could afford a .22 in conjunction with a "defensive" caliber.

I've shot with adult females that had never shot before. I started them out on .22s, but in that same range session had them shooting .38s and even .357s in out of a 3" Ruger. I still practice with .22s in similar platforms to my defensive weapons.

I'm confident an adult can learn to shoot with a .357 loaded down to .38s.