Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Taurus mod 66 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/taurus-mod-66-a-94156/)

jjones45 07-20-2013 07:25 AM

Taurus mod 66

I have a Taurus mod 66 that has been reliable so far through only about 200 rounds but jeez my hand feels like I just punched a wall after I shot 50 rounds or so. I was wondering if anyone has one and what has been your experience with yours good or bad and if there is a way to not feel so much recoil on this gun. Or is it just one of them things like you like shooting .357 mag so just deal with it.

Axxe55 07-20-2013 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1309420)
I have a Taurus mod 66 that has been reliable so far through only about 200 rounds but jeez my hand feels like I just punched a wall after I shot 50 rounds or so. I was wondering if anyone has one and what has been your experience with yours good or bad and if there is a way to not feel so much recoil on this gun. Or is it just one of them things like you like shooting .357 mag so just deal with it.

does it have the factory grips? if so change them to the Hogue MonoGrips like i did on my Taurus Tracker 44 Magnum. made a world of difference. the proper grips will aid in handling recoil and make shooting much more pleasant. i can shoot full powered magnum loads one handed with no discomfort and still hit accurately with it.

unclebear 07-20-2013 07:36 AM

Well I have one it was my dads for years first pistol I ever shot, we usually just shoot 38 specials out of because there cheaper to get then full power 357 mags and they have less recoil. But I guess it also depends on the barrel length if you have a shorter barrel on revolvers they can kick harder as where I have a 5 inch barrel on mine and it really doesn't have any recoil. Also try looking at different way to grip the gun it might just be how your holding the gun in general.

I'd be able to give you better advice if I knew more.

danf_fl 07-20-2013 07:55 AM

Good advice guys!

jjones45 07-20-2013 08:04 AM

Yeah still has factory grips. I will def give the hogue grips a try. Its the 4 inch version. My first and only 357 mag so I do like it but I don't like the pain after I shoot 50 rounds or so. I hold it with just a regular two hand grip. No other gun I own does this so I was kind of wondering was this just a magnum thing. I guess the factory grips are just too thin maybe or I need to shoot some .38 more often

Axxe55 07-20-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1309450)
Yeah still has factory grips. I will def give the hogue grips a try. Its the 4 inch version. My first and only 357 mag so I do like it but I don't like the pain after I shoot 50 rounds or so. I hold it with just a regular two hand grip. No other gun I own does this so I was kind of wondering was this just a magnum thing. I guess the factory grips are just too thin maybe or I need to shoot some .38 more often

the Hogue MonoGrips are not expensive either. i think mine were about $16. took me all of about ten minutes to replace them. i can shoot 50 plus rounds of magnum loads with no discomfort at all. i could probably shoot as many as i wanted, with no problems. before i replaced them the triggerguard was banging on the knuckle on my middle finger.

if the grips are not comfortable, it's hard to control the recoil and hard to shoot accurately. grips that make the pistol fit your hand are worth their weight in gold. the larger the caliber and the harder it recoils makes this very important IMO.

jjones45 07-20-2013 08:30 AM

Thanks guys, good advice and will do.

HOSSFLY 07-20-2013 12:42 PM

What axxe said - grips make a huge difference ;)

big shrek 07-21-2013 07:49 AM

A Taurus 66 was my duty revolver for many years...the switch to a rubber Pachmyer made it feel like a different pistol!!

Any Hogue or Pachy rubber will make a HUGE difference!! Just do it!!

DrFootball 07-21-2013 11:23 PM

We have rubber or wood grips with "finger groves" on all of our revolvers...except for my Python which has Mustang Zebrawood furniture...