Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus M 85 w/ hammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus M 85 w/ hammer

Hi, I need help because i just but a taurus m 85 snub in 38 spl and i am wondering if i made a wrong decision, since i originally planned on buying a charter arms bulldog revolver for concealment. Guy at gun store talked me outta buyin the charter arms, since they do not have the life time warranty if something malfunctions with the gun. But i've been researching about taurus guns and there are many people sending them back because of problems.

anyone here know much about this taurus model and if its better than the charter arms revolvers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

Default Hello, hical!

Many people feel the Taurus handguns are better than Charter Arms guns. I have ( and presently do ) own both brands, and feel comfortable carrying either.

If you shoot A LOT, the Taurus will definitely last longer ( on average ). If I am shooting for pleasure, I generally don't shoot the Charter Arms .38's, as I want them to last.

Really, it's a matter of personal preference. I can find you someone on here who can tell you bad things about ANY company or ANY firearm. If it works for you and you don't have any problems with the Taurus, then don't worry about what armchair commandos think.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #3

Two Model 85s. One stainless and oneUltra-lite. Nevr a problem with either one of them. I would buy the Taurus over the Charter, but I have never owned a Charter. You won't be disappointed with the Taurus.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would heve to agree. My Taurus 85UL is a solid little gun and I've never had any trouble with it. I have heard both good and bad about Charters but the gun shop owner probably gave you some good advice. CD

Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Several years ago Taurus had a reputation for low quality and poor workmanship. They've changed owners and their manufacturing is now on par with any other gun maker. There are many Taurus bashers still among us, who do not know of what they speak. Most often the genesis of their dislike is a single bad experience, usually by someone else, which has been exagerated and embellished over time. Most, if not all, gun makers, car makers, TV makers, toaster makers, you-name-it, have had QC and manufacturing problems. I remember when Smith & Wesson was putting out crap. I owned a Sig Arms pistol that was a P.O.S. (I sent it back, and they replaced it with a new one.)

I own two Taurus revolvers, one of which is a model 85, UltraLite, which is my wife's carry gun. We've never had a problem with it, and I thoroughly trust both of my Taurus revolvers with my life. Will a defective gun squeek through every once in a while? Sure, just as with any other product. Taurus firearms come with a lifetime warranty. Not the life of the owner, but the life of the gun. Forever, or as long as they remain in business. That tells me they stand behind their products.

Not all who work in a gun store know what they are talking about. Some gun store commandos are big spreaders of myths, and old wife's tales.

My other Taurus is a 617, .357 mag. seven shooter, snubby.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved