Taurus judge public defender - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus judge public defender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What can I say,...things are just slightly different here in Chile.....I could even Imagine that the Taurus we get down here, are imported from the US and not directly from Brazil,.. so we get taxed twice..., and then they slap on like 1000% customs,....But that ain't holding me back.....

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #12

I just bought the Public Defender from Buds Guns online for a pretty good price. $412.00 delivered. I also picked up a box of Federal 000 buck with 4 pellets per shell. Should be a great car gun. I carry an XDM .40, which will do the defensive job extremely well. Especially loaded with Federal HST's. I wanted something specifically for the car. My normal carry just won't be fast enough while sitting in the car.

I would also feel well defended carrying the Public Defender as a daily carry weapon. A lot of people on other sites are slamming the Judge series of handguns. They all say it doesn't do well at a distance. Well, it was designed for up close and personal. I believe 4 .36 caliber balls being fired at someone at a range of probably 5-10 feet(where mostly all gunfights take place) will do the job quite nicely.

Chris

Never forget 911

When you think of your freedom. Thank a Veteran!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #13

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You said it and i couldnt agree more

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

MB44, those prices are even worse than what we pay in Argentina! I'm suddenly feeling a bit better about our trade agreements with Brazil.

Anyway, I had a Judge for a while. I bought it because it seemed fun, and I just couldn't find a use for it. For every task there seemed to be a better suited gun in my collection.

For home defense, five .410 shots without a quick reload might not be enough in a city where home invasions are carried out by three or more criminals. If I'm going to have five shots, I'd rather use 3" 12 gauge shells loaded with 00 buckshot. And 15 .45acp rounds out of my P14-45 are better than 5 .45LC from the Judge.

It's just too bulky for concealed carry, a Ruger GP100 is easier to conceal! Additional ammo is also on the large side. I think there are much more effective weapons that are easier to tote around every day.

Many people think it's a good choice to fend off a carjacker, I don't drive so I can't comment on this use.

Woods bumming was the one area where I could see a future for my Judge, as a snake gun that was versatile enough to handle an SD situation in a pinch (with .45LC rounds) or function as an emergency hunting gun for small game (with .410 shells).

Sadly, my Judge's frame cracked after less than 50 Magtech cowboy action loads. I took it back to the gunstore and got a new Remington 870.

If you haven't read it yet, here's a short review of the Judge on the Box o' truth. The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #15

The box of truth is an outdated review to say the least. Here is a current review.

Taurus .45 Colt/.410 Shotshell “Public Defender” Revolver

I don't know why some people just won't believe this gun with 000 buck won't kill someone deader than crap. At 5 ft from my driver side, i would not want to be on the recieving end of my Public defender.

Never forget 911

When you think of your freedom. Thank a Veteran!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #16

That guy always has good reviews, Hes pretty much the only one who is truly impartial at the first test.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 AM   #17

Default Taurus Judge

I own the 3" Mag Judge. Those Federal .410 Handgun shells have a much tighter pattern than regular shells, it's the spread control sabot they put in them. I've scored some impressive groups at 20 yards with them. As for .45LC, I load my own using Alliant Bullseye powder and 250 gr Hornady XTP bullets, they shoot extremely accurate for a 3" barrel revolver. All in all the Judge is a joy to own and shoot. And although I've never had to use it as a home defender, I have every confidence it would get the job done.

God and guns make this country strong.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought one of these guns for my wife about a year ago. We both are impressed with it. For those that don't think much of the .410 are obviously not well informed of its close-range capabilities, or they've never shot one.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
Well I was just browsing on the internet for local gunshops and I found the Old version of the Judge (deathkricket is right, the new one looks cooler), the only problem,...the price-tag...grab something to hold on to,.... 1000 USD....Yeahhh that is what we pay for guns around here...

I got some errands to do tomorrow: 1) Pick up my SIG P250, 2) register for the Level III IPSC match on sunday, so I just might swing by the gunshop, to see what it looks and feels like....
I paid 480.00 USD for mine.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #20

Speaking of the judge, i went to the range today to test out my new 1911 and i brought my judge along for some fun, The rage guy would only let me pull the target board to the 25 yard line and i wasn't happy about cracking my last 000 buck at a target 25 yards away with the snub nose defender, i didn't think from that far away i could put the rounds on the paper but much to my surprise it held, id say about a foot pattern in windy conditions