You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Taurus Judge issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd admit I know of the horror stories of Taurus yet still on a PT1911. The Judge in-particular was a bad idea and I dont accept any gun to protect my life unless it passes MY tests, if it doesn't I trade it. Taurus tried to fill a niche that was a good idea on the business end but when it comes to their machine work, they have moron machinists. It seems if you get a gun that was made on a Wednesday it'll be ok, but any other day you're boned.
I know a 1911 is hard to screw up but its possible and they prove it. Not even their 1911s and the parts for them are good machine work, I have a couple problems I'm ironing out such as the ambi safety and it several edges on the gun need to be de-horned. I've heard tale of the actual metal they get for their guns is baught at auction so it often isnt the good stuff.

Seriously...you think they'd catch on from all the bit**ing their customers do...
I'd understand why they dont listen though if its run by a bunch of suits.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #22

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

As I see it, Taurus has 2 problems. First, their QC is non-existent. We could both buy the same Taurus model on the same day and yours might be flawless and mine might be junk. Second, their customer service is atrocious - the worst I've ever experienced.

It's a shame really as they do come out with some innovative designs and nice looking guns. After my NIB 24/7 Pro failed in the first week with less than 100 rounds thru it - I decided never again. Yes, Taurus did fix it but it was gone for just over 12 weeks - I immediately sold it at a big loss when it came back.

One caveat is necessary. Their Beretta 92/96 clone is IMHO great gun. I've owned 3 of them and they were all rock solid and reliable. I wouldn't pay a dime for any of their new revolvers or polymer semi-autos though...

Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
As I see it, Taurus has 2 problems. First, their QC is non-existent. We could both buy the same Taurus model on the same day and yours might be flawless and mine might be junk. Second, their customer service is atrocious - the worst I've ever experienced.

It's a shame really as they do come out with some innovative designs and nice looking guns. After my NIB 24/7 Pro failed in the first week with less than 100 rounds thru it - I decided never again. Yes, Taurus did fix it but it was gone for just over 12 weeks - I immediately sold it at a big loss when it came back.

One caveat is necessary. Their Beretta 92/96 clone is IMHO great gun. I've owned 3 of them and they were all rock solid and reliable. I wouldn't pay a dime for any of their new revolvers or polymer semi-autos though...
I was actually selling my 9mm in order to get one of their Berreta 92 clones with the 3-way frame mounted safety/decocker and accessory rail. Seeing as how they started with the actual Berreta factory I would hope they wouldnt screw it up.

I was in the gun-store yesterday and a guy brought in a Taurus Judge and he was having trouble with rim-space on his 45LC ammo. He said he could load one bullet into any chamber, close the cylinder and it would be ok. But if he loaded all 5 into the gun he couldnt close the cylinder. I wish i could've looked at it to see what the crap was wrong with it, but he's just going to have to send it back to Taurus because the guys at Academy Sports had no freaking clue what to tell him.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #24

I am not any type of business man at all, so I would ask some of you guys or ladies who are:

How long would/ should a company keep passing off junk and trying to pacify unhappy customers with crappy customer service before they take a real and effective approach to fixing the problem, or making things "right" before they completely destroy their customer base? I realize that to some extent, they expect a certain number of their products to have issues, but how many is too many?

I haven't seen a single good thing written anywhere about the Judge. I am not bashing Taurus at all in fact I used to have an older model 66 (mid 90's) 4" .357 that after taking a rasp to the grips was my favorite revolver. Just wondering what the heck they're thinking...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #25

I do not see myself ever buying a Taurus again. One thing I did notice, but can live with is a little void / porosity in the metal on the top inside of the trigger guard. Here is a question how can Taurus send me a new gun with a new serial number? I thought this would have to go to an FFL dealer since it is a new serial number firearm?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #26

Gary-
I had that question as well. S&W sent me a new Sigma after the frame cracked. It came right to my door, and I lived in New Jersey at the time.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #27

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Sorry to see that there are problems with weapons that people have spent hard earned money on expecting at least trouble free operation. Especially if needed in a life or death situation. Thankfully every weapon I own functions flawlessly even if, for whatever reason, I haven't cleaned them for a while. I have a friend that has a Taurus Tracker 44 mag. and he has had some problems with certain ammo. Reading about problems some have had with Taurus and what my friend has told me, I would not buy a Taurus.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #28

Liked 2428 Times on 1315 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I am not any type of business man at all, so I would ask some of you guys or ladies who are:

How long would/ should a company keep passing off junk and trying to pacify unhappy customers with crappy customer service before they take a real and effective approach to fixing the problem, or making things "right" before they completely destroy their customer base? I realize that to some extent, they expect a certain number of their products to have issues, but how many is too many?

I haven't seen a single good thing written anywhere about the Judge. I am not bashing Taurus at all in fact I used to have an older model 66 (mid 90's) 4" .357 that after taking a rasp to the grips was my favorite revolver. Just wondering what the heck they're thinking...
Sadly, there are enough new shooters coming into the market to keep them going. A lot of newby shooters will just by whatever the guy at the shop says they should. Then later they find out that the gun doesn't work right. That's when they do a google on their model and find out they bought a piece of crap.

I've been burned once. Now I always research a gun before I buy it.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm split on this one. I have a Raging Bull in .454 Casull that I've owned for nearly 10 years. It's not absolutely perfect, but it's been pretty darn good for a long time. It has one chamber in the cylinder that is just a little small in size and with some ammo the fit is tight, some ammo it isn't. That's it's only real issue.

My mom has a Model 85 Ultra-Lite (snubby .38 revolver) that has been a problem right from the beginning. The trigger pull was so heavy she couldn't even fire it without going single action. Even then the hammer spring was so heavy it was almost too much for her. We had it worked over by a local gunsmith and afterwords it wouldn't even function (long story there). Come to find out it had the wrong firing pin/transfer bar assembly in it from the factory and the super-heavy springs were the only thing making it function. It took several months to get that straightened out but now it functions acceptably.

Several month ago at the local pistol range, I met a couple and we started talking and eventually started shooting each other pistols. I ended up shooting the guys Taurus 24/7 compact .45ACP. It seemed to misfire every few shots. When we would clear the malfunction, we noticed a light strike every time. We would take those rounds and load them into my 1911 and every one went bang. At first he thought the ammo was suspect, so I loaded a couple mags for my 1911 with his ammo and let him blast away. Every one went bang. He decided after that to sent the pistol in and have it looked at.

So, long story long, I am happy with my Raging Bull, but it would have to be a ridiculously good deal for me to buy another Taurus revolver, and you couldn't give me one of the poly semi-auto pistols. I'm still unsure if I'd have one of their 1911 or Beretta-clone autos.

Last edited by russ; 04-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #30

Taurus does have problems in quality control and customer service which will sooner or later be their accillies heel. I would not buy any of their products as they really do not respond to their warranty statements. As a gunsmith I do not see very many to be customized only repaired and I do not care to work on them. I always suggest the owner send them back . Have had a few after 3 attempts ask and I looked at them . The revolver frame was twisted and I refused to go any further knowing that if I did he would loose his warranty. I sent it in for him with my letterhead stating the problem they sent him a new gun. Oh if it has a new serial number it must go through an FFL to be a legal transfer.Stick with S&W, Ruger, Colt for wheel guns to get the best. Remember all those Brazil made guns are just that cheap labor and cheap material. You get what you pay for with guns by American.

Good Day Ya' All
Jim50BMG