Taurus Judge For CCW & Home Defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus Judge For CCW & Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus Judge For CCW & Home Defense?

I own an EAA 2" Snubby Windicator .357 Mag/.38 Spec already and am in the middle of purchasing a Taurus Duo-Tone Alloy Framed PT-1911 .45 ACP but have been considering a Taurus Judge .45LC/.410 with a 2" or 3" Barrel.

I have seen Self Defense loads in .410 that fire 4 OOO Buck, 3 metal discs, and the old .410 "Deer Slugs".

I hear with the short barrel that .45LC bullets don't perform well.

Are these .410 shells viable options in this platform?

Any recommendations?

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #2

When using .410 shot shells doesn't the pistol become a short barrel shotgun? The states have different rules for it but it could be an issue with CCW. As for home defense I don't see why not.

Chance favors the prepared mind

Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

I hear Taurus got around the ATF's Short Barreled Shotgun hurdle by rifling the 3" barrel.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 04-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Taurus Judge is no shotgun period then end. It just happens to be able to shoot .410's. The verdict is highly debatable as to HD. I have one and use it for snakes only. Maybe a coyote if one gets close enough. That's all.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default .410

Mercerized sewing thread will sew pellets together for an interesting pattern. This was an old poachers trick.

If you want to keep the shot in a tight pattern, open up the front of the shell and tap down corn starch into the pellets. They come out very tightly.

Don't try this at home. It's just a rumor. Really.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwphillips2 View Post
Mercerized sewing thread will sew pellets together for an interesting pattern. This was an old poachers trick.

If you want to keep the shot in a tight pattern, open up the front of the shell and tap down corn starch into the pellets. They come out very tightly.

Same results with a few drops of 3in1 oil down the barrel. Used to be an old trick back home at local Turkey Shoots...

MSgt. USAF(Ret.) NRA - Life Mbr., NCOA - Life Mbr., NAHC - Life Mbr., OathKeepers - Founding Mbr., Amer. Legion - Mbr., VFW - Mbr., DVA - Mbr., VVA - Mbr.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmaster View Post
Same results with a few drops of 3in1 oil down the barrel. Used to be an old trick back home at local Turkey Shoots...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwphillips2 View Post

Or you could just buy the Federal 410 load made for the Judge.

My review of their ammo from April 2010:
I purchased a Taurus Judge when they first came out. I was impressed with the 45LC ammo but the OOO buckshot (the reason I bought it) was painfully inaccurate. The following is 5 subsequent shots with Winchester Super-X .410 Bore 2 1/2" OOO Buck with 3 pellets from the 2.5" Chamber Judge with 3" Barrel at 14 yards.

Pathetic Right!

I was throughly disappointed and ready to sell the gun. Then I heard of this new ammo for the Judge, actually made for it. Federal Premium Personal Defense .410 Handgun 2 1/2" OOO Buckshot with 4 pellets. This is the same gun and the same range (14 yards).

Amazing improvement. I think the trick is that the pellets of the Federal are contained within the wad therefore clustering the shot.

Quote:
Quote:
Taurus Judge Ultralite, 4" barrel, 2.5" chamber,
8' to Chrony

Federal 4 pellet 000 buck load
859, 874, 868 fps

Winchester 3 pellet 000 buck load
981, 928, 975 fps

Remington #9 shot (for reference)
901, 955, 930 fps

45 Colt, 255 SWC over 6.5gr green dot
758, 780 fps
With these velocities and the 71 grain ball weight it is like four 36 percussion balls hitting in a space of 2.5 inches.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-16-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

There are many people that will bash on the Judge. I'm not going to bash on it, but I will say you will have a hard time concealing such a big gun. The most practical use I can think of for the Judge is as a truck/snake gun.

Last edited by General_lee; 04-16-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGator View Post
I hear Taurus got around the ATF's Short Barreled Shotgun hurdle by rifling the 3" barrel.
Correct,as long as it's rifled and not designed specifically for a shotshell it's not considered a shotgun.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

As for an actual, viable defense gun...meh.

The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

They tested the .410 loads there. Pretty telling, imo.

If the Winchester loads perform that well consistantly, I say it would be effective for HD.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!