Taurus Haters - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus Haters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 226 Times on 169 Posts

I think if Taurus made a revolver that said smith and wesson or ruger on the side I might buy one lol

Old 12-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 1124

You can all become taurus collector's, good for you. I will never own one. Axxe, I don't own an xd and I don't like them either but I think Springfield Amory makes some fine firearms. The xd is a plastic taurus.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #83

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Haven't followed the entire thread but I own two Taurus revolvers and I like them both. I have a 44 with 8 3/8" barrel and a 94 with 4" barrel. Both are good solid revolvers. They aren't Smiths or Rugers but at less than $400 each they have been good values.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the first USPSA female GM shoots a Taurus 1911. Obviously, the firearm isn't holding Jessie back.
People Like This 
Old 12-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

I won't say I love or hate them. I am old enough to remember when Taurus was the High point of the hand gun world. They were an inexpensive and cheap built gun. Over the years I think there quality has improved but in my mind they are still a cheap built gun. But I have never owned one so for all I know they could be the finest hand gun made. I do own a High point so there is hope..

Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #85
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
simple fact is you are trying to make them out to be cheaply made pistols that will fall apart or blow up in your hand. they are not cheaply made pistols and are for the most part, pretty well made. BTW, clink on the link that i provided earlier. Smith & Wesson at one time owned 54% of the Taurus company and many of Taurus's revolver designs were copied from S&W. they also bought the Brazilian division of Beretta and made a dang near copy of the Beretta 92F. many South American police agencies have used Taurus pistols for years. no they are not Smith & Wesson quality, but they are hardly junk either. you are more than welcome to your opinions, but i feel you are on the wrong path here. you comments equate to someone having owned one Ford vehicle in their life, having a problem and then stating all Fords are junk. it doesn't negate the fact that the Ford had a problem, but still doesn't reinforce the statement all Fords are junk either. i have owned several Taurus pistols over the years, along with S&W, Colt, Astra, and some others.
The only one I have ever had is a stainless target PT-92. It's kick butt. It's every bit as good as a Beretta, which I also one one of.
I've said time and time again that they had production issues with some models....plenty of guns go back to the factory for one reason or another.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #86

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I own a taurus. Dont see what the hate is about.. ive had no problems with it..
Own 2 as a matter of fact.
Have a.10mm as well as a 3" barrel judge.. love the fact tbat it can chamber .410 rounds as well as .45LC.
Great handgun and way more than a "snake gun as i have heard it called"..
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge410
I own a taurus. Dont see what the hate is about.. ive had no problems with it.. Own 2 as a matter of fact. Have a.10mm as well as a 3" barrel judge.. love the fact tbat it can chamber .410 rounds as well as .45LC. Great handgun and way more than a "snake gun as i have heard it called"..
Would love to get either the Judge Carbine or the 6.5"...But I do have a PT-92 SS Match....over 20 Years...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #88
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1295 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Your argument was invalid. Unless you have an actual argument against Taurus, I'd drop it.

BTW, if GLOCKs are so good, why isn't the US military using them? They use Colt 1911s, Beretta M9s, Sigs, and a few other guns. No GLOCKs though.
The officers in charge of procurement ascribe to the fantastic notion that combat is or could be "safe" and that guns need "safeties" on them. Any gun that's plastic isn't a real gun and if that weren't enough stupidity there's always the political games that the politicians who influence procurement play.

The Beretta M9 was about missile bases in Italy and no matter what other BS is spouted off about the pistol that was the reason for its selection. Tens of millions of dollars in engineering later, the M9 design is about as close to perfection as it's going to get and there's no real reason to replace it because it does now, in point of fact, work as advertised. The US Army wanted the SiG and instead was told to take the Beretta and like it. The cost differential was bean dip and the SiG performed a bit better, so what else may have been involved?

The refusal to consider the Glock was about the lack of the magic lever and plastic and nothing more.

The M9 doesn't do anything that the Glock 17 doesn't do and it weighs more and costs more and holds fewer bullets, all of which are not opinion but fact.

Strangely enough, the Glock is now perfectly acceptable for the British military. If memory serves, they were previously issuing the Browning Hi-Power. They could have simply ordered more Hi-Power pistols from FNH, but a lighter, cheaper, higher capacity pistol made sense to people who can perform basic math and understand that more weight and fewer bullets don't imbue the users of the magic talisman with more capability.

The NIH syndrome that the US Army suffers from is pretty apparent to even the most casual observer and any design that doesn't conform to their way of thinking, no matter its technical merit, is destined to be reviled rather than considered for selection.

Knowing what you know about a Ruger GP100 and a Taurus 66, would you favor the Taurus over the Ruger if cost was the same? I know I wouldn't. Hate's a pretty strong word, but I wouldn't favor it over a better-made competing design.
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #89

Please tell me What Brit Outfit is Carrying The Block-I-Mean Glock? no all Jokes aside, Who aside from "Special Purpose" units. I know MI-5 & 6 Carry what they want.....Brit Naval Intel? SAS/SBS? The Paras?

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #90
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1334 Posts
Likes Given: 12170

Wow! I just read 9 pages of pro and anti taurus, Glock, S&W, etc., and I am more confused than i was when i opened this thread!

The following is based on my test firing of both a Taurus Judge and a Smith and Wesson Governor, and an explanation of why I did not buy the Judge.

It came down to 3 things in the end. Both of the revolvers performed well, good patterns with .410 and .45 LC grouped well with both. In the end I picked the Governor because it will chamber .45 ACP with half and full moon clips, it holds 6 rounds, and it fit my hand better. The judge was not a bad fit, but the Governor felt better.

i came to these conclusions during a range trip about 3 months after the Governor came on the market. 2 of my friend's have Judges (the one has the 6 inch barrel with a 3 inch chamber. If I can find one like her's, i will pick it up.), and one of them had just gotten a governor. All 3 of them knew i was in the market, so my wife and i got invited along for the day. After firing both with >45 LC and .410, the friend with the Governor broke out the half moons and a box of ACPs. Since I own a 1911, that was the deciding factor. I stopped at the LGS on the way home, and with my wife;s blessing placed my order. 2 months later, i went in and filled out the 4473, waited to clear, drove to the county seat, had it put on my permit, and went and picked it up. My wife had it added to her permit the nxt day, and bought me a few half and full moon clips for my birthday. i guess you could call it love at first fondle (the gun, not the wife. it took 18 years for us to fall for each other. ).

the feel in my hands and the ability to accept .45 ACP were the primary deciding factors for both of us. Not needing to buy yet another caliber is a good thing IMO. Now that I already have a few boxes of .45 LC lying around, I will start looking for a 6 inch, 3 inch chambered Judge after we move out of NY to a 2A friendly state. I think it would be a nice little companion for when the deer aren't moving, and the squirlles are getting on my nerves.

part of me would also like to get a Circuit Judge, but the furniture sucks for a lefty with small hands.

My overall feeling on Taurus firearms is this. i have fired a few of their revolvers and the 92 clone they make. i am not a fan of the 92 clone, hands don't fit the grip right, but i have yet to find one that was not well made. i won't be picking up a .357 to replace my GP 100, (not only is it payed for, it was also my dad's) but if i did not have it, I would consider a Taurus .357.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This