Taurus Haters - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus Haters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Previous to my gunshop employment I worked in advanced materials development for a major company.....which includes metallurgy. Also was a process engineer. So I do know a bit about manufacturing, design and testing.

My dim view of Taurus is from a direct 3 yr experience with their products.

Have seen unfinished or mis-cut frame areas on Taurus revolvers, broken parts (some maybe MIM, but not all) and other misaligned/mismachined stuff. Plastic parts breaking or of very poor fit (same with some metal components).

Know what chaps my arse? People telling me over and over how friggin' wonderful this crap is, when I even go so far as to volume adjust and track it, and it's still more problematic than any other brand by a large margin (of what we sold).

Lots of PO'd customers bought Smith and other after using their Taurus warranties (once or more than once).

I don't make sh*t up. We bought from a few distrubutors and with the different models, over that time span, how stuff is manufactured in batches, there's no damn way these issues were from a problem lot.

ISO9000 means "say what you do, do what you say"..............that doesn't mean there's inherent quality involved. That's just business politics crap.

And many customers fall for it.

Taurus, and the Taurus fans............I've dealt with enough. I still fix stuff for friends and fam, and even a local and decent sized shop............for free. They all know however should there be a Taurus involved I will refuse to even touch it.

Send it in, send it in, enjoy the process.

Even my buds who work in the shop won't fix 'em anymore. They just send 'em in.

That reminds me, I wonder how many are in Taurus repair limbo as I type............................

Last edited by Hookeye; 01-15-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #152

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Remington, Ruger, and S&W have all had more recalls than Taurus, just saying. (not saying they are bad companies, because they are definitely not)

BTW, I have yet to personally see a bad Taurus.
You perused the site, eh,?
Lots of very good info.

Gone turducken huntin'

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Impressive. A Taurus thread that lasted this long without being closed.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #154
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
How did this turn into a "HATE HI-POINT" thread?

My two MAJOR objections to Taurus:

1.- They copied the Beretta 92 design. This, IMHO, is

about as close to sacrilege as it gets.

2.-Those annoying little colored plastic covered .380

CC pistols. Lavender? Really?

Now, you either like things a company does, or you

don't. Ruger has earned my respect, over a period of

time, due to design adaptation and innovation. I honestly

didn't care for them at all, either, at first.

Taurus has dug themselves a pit, OTOH,and done nothing

since, to regain my esteem.
Taurus bought the old Beretta plant in Brazil. at one time Beretta set up the plant to produce the model 92 for a large contract they had with the Brazilian Army.

alot of the colored pistols is simply marketing. the same way Smith did with the Ladysmith line-up of pistols to try and capture more of the market.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #155
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Previous to my gunshop employment I worked in advanced materials development for a major company.....which includes metallurgy. Also was a process engineer. So I do know a bit about manufacturing, design and testing.

Have seen unfinished or mis-cut frame areas on Taurus revolvers, broken parts (some maybe MIM, but not all) and other misaligned/mismachined stuff. Plastic parts breaking or of very poor fit (same with some metal components).

Know what chaps my arse? People telling me over and over how friggin' wonderful this crap is, when I even go so far as to volume adjust and track it, and it's still more problematic than any other brand by a large margin (of what we sold).

Lots of PO'd customers bought Smith and other after using their Taurus warranties (once or more than once).

I don't make sh*t up. We bought from a few distrubutors and with the different models, over that time span, how stuff is manufactured in batches, there's no damn way these issues were from a problem lot.

ISO9000 means "say what you do, do what you say"..............that doesn't mean there's inherent quality involved. That's just business politics crap.

Taurus, and the Taurus fans............I've dealt with enough. I still fix stuff for friends and fam, and even a local and decent sized shop............for free. They all know however should there be a Taurus involved I will refuse to even touch it.

That reminds me, I wonder how many are in Taurus repair limbo as I type............................
If me liking Taurus chaps your ass, then it sucks to be you. I will continue to like my Taurus, shoot the hell out of it, and tell people how much I enjoy it.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post

Hookeye, first of all, i don't doubt that Taurus has had some quality control issues an has had their share of problems, just like every gun maker has hadat least sometime in their history of making guns.

but you really are starting to push the envelope of being termed a brand snob. so you have seen a few that have had some problems in what three years? well i bought my first used Taurus revolver over 25 years ago, the first of many over the years, and i shot the snot out of it, and it never once gave me any problems.

another story, when Beretta was having a slight problem with slides breaking, none of the Taurus pistols had the same issue, but no one gave up on Beretta. so why all the hate for Taurus?

and all those problems you listed? personally i haven't seen any of them over the years myself. now if you don't want to own one, then that's your option. but please don't assume that because i or others that own them settle for lesser quality guns. both of my current Taurus revolvers will hold their own against much higher priced pistols, easily. just remember assumptions are the mother of all.....................well you get the picture.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I've never drove a Pontiac Aztec but I can't ****ing stand them.....
Hi-Point is one butt ugly gun, but it performs well.

now you may make an assumption that because you don't like the looks of them, that maybe they don't perform well.

just remember the old saying, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

now the Hi-Point, well, i am not going to make any special effort in searching one out to buy, but if i were to luck upon a used one at the right time and price, well i can honestly say it will probably come home with me. i probably won't be showing off, but i will shoot the snot out of it!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #158

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I know what I saw, and have an engineering and manufacturing background, so paid a little more attention than probably most folks.

Yes, most "problems" people have with guns are due to them taking them apart, and or not knowing what they are doing (maintenance, ammo, application etc).

Employing that filter, Taurus had a LOT of actually screwed up rigs.

The shop I worked at sold a lot of stuff, so sold a lot of Taurus. Some customers don't mind sending stuff back, some don't even care if they do it twice or more! Maybe they see it as special attention, or gives them something to talk about. After all, that used Smith that was $75-100 more.............aint worth it, and they'll say that until their dying breath.

Heard it, over and over.

And that's why I won't help anybody with those rigs ever again.

Gun snob?

Maybe. That doesn't mean my data is in error or is less than truthful.

And for those who champion the 92 and K frame clones, did I not say those were the least problematic from my experience? My old college bud has a 66 clone and it still works fine, has since he bought it new yrs and yrs ago.
The fit and finish was iffy, but it goes bang. Rear sight crooked, and floppy, but he's cool with it.

He's maybe put 2 or 3K rounds through it. No steady diet of mags either....over the 20 yrs he's had it.

Not all Taurus is junk.

But enough is that I in good faith cannot recommend them to anybody.

BTW, my dislike of Taurus goes well beyond my 3 yrs of shop employment. Those yrs just solidified my dislike

Last edited by Hookeye; 01-16-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #159

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Yanno, Robin's Egg Blue, on a metal 380 CC.

I know the Pink one is for the ladies, what, the powder

blue is for the Little Lord Fauntleroys in the bunch? A

CC pistol isn't a barbecue gun, so what's the point?

Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #160

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've owned three Taurus guns. One j-frame clone, a Pt-945, and a Pt1911. All but the j frame have been horrid. The pt-945 rear sight fell off so I had the slide milled for novaks and bought new sights and shortly after all this, the inside of the slide burred up and locked halfway open while loaded. I had to beat it closed with a rubber mallet and file the burrs off. The pt1911 i had, also lost the rear sight. Upon finding it, i noticed it hadnt been drilled all the way through for the set screw. So i called taurus and told them what happened. So what did they do? Send me set screws, three times. So i called them a fourth time and asked for a shipping label, they said i would have to ship it on my own dime. I said no, hung up and promptly sunk it the lake. I will never own another taurus auto. The j frame in .327 has not only been flawless but is actually a nice little backup carry gun.