Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus Haters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Taurus Haters

This is something I don't understand. Why do so many people love to hate Taurus? No, they are not S&Ws, or Colts, but they also don't cost near as much.

Plus, they have an outstanding warranty. It lasts the lifetime of the gun, follows the gun wherever it goes, and is basically a no questions asked sort of deal. One story I've heard of the customer service involved a gun owner sending his gun in for a repair. They no longer made that gun, or had any of the parts it needed. So instead, they sent him a brand new gun to replace it. THAT'S service.

I have one Taurus. It's an early model 66 .357 mag. Back when they had 6 chambers and were nickel plating them. It's so old, they don't even have it's serial number listed in their database. It still locks up really tight, and has one of the best triggers I have ever felt on any gun. The double action trigger is smooth, not too heavy, and not too long. The single action trigger has barely any creep, and is pretty light. (don't have anything to actually measure it, but if I had to guess, it's in the 2-4 lb range)

So what's up with the hate?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1816 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I dont hate the revolvers but I have had problems with their semi autos. The one revolver was good but out of 3 semi's only one was good. The good one broke after 19 years of real use and they replaced it. One was so poorly made I just dumped it at a loss. It looked like the insides were machined with a dull chisel. The 3rd was a 92 that went back 3 times and I finally dumped it at a loss. I have heard that Taurus has improved their quality control and their service so I am watching them but after getting burned 2x on 4 guns I just dont have faith in them. By the way, unless you have a dealer ship the gun back it will cost you a small fortune to ship it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I've only owned a couple but I think they are pretty decent. Only problem I've ever had is a weak magazine spring in a 92compact thats been shot a bunch

Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't say hate, just experiences like this. A close friend bought a Taurus 357mag snubby for the usual reason, it cost less than a S&W or Ruger. Less than 50 rounds thru it, all 38spl. He opened it up to clean it, the cylinder fell off in his hand. Taurus made it right, but after something like that, would you trust your own and your family's life to it?

Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I had a PT111 Pro. The first time I shot it I had 3 or 4 failures to fire in a box of 50 rounds. It was a weak primer strike. I kept the gun and shot it for a few months. After about 300 rounds or so it would not fire at all. I took it back where I bought it. He bought it back from me. I later bought an M85 ultra-lite. That is a 5 shot 38+p snubby. It shaved the jackets off the first few rounds I put through it and locked up the cylinder. I returned that to the same store. Luckily the dealer stood behind what he sold. He told me he didn't like Taurus either. But as long as people insisted on being cheap he would keep selling them. I will never buy another Taurus. If someone gave me one for free I would sell it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

Liked 376 Times on 213 Posts

Never owned or but have always heard a lot of negative things about their quality control. Before I bought my ruger gp100, a gun store employee tried to talk me out of a Taurus and into buying a used ruger for the same price. The new ruger was $100 more. So, I figured if even the lgs was trying to talk me into a used brand of the same price (instead of a new ruger giving him more money in his pocket) then they must know something. I see a lot of used Taurus guns on the shelf of my lgs that are collecting dust. Guys seem to buy the used s and w or ruger over the newer Taurus models. It's almost like kel Tec. Some people love them, some people hate them.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I don't have many revolvers, but the late model Taurus revolvers are well made. The Judge (3" Magnum) is the one I'm referring to. Many rounds through it with 0 malfunctions or issues. It has been as reliable as, and seems to be as well made, as the Ruger GP 100 that I sold to a friend.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Most of my issues with Taurus started in the late 1980s and early 1990s when I really got into shooting and began part time work at an indoor gun range/shop. We sold Taurus along with many other guns and rented a few models as well. We returned more Taurus autos and revolvers than just about any other brand. Our rental 92 broke the locking block in multiple occasions, the rear sight came off a few times, the safety broke, and saw the same issues frequently with customers guns as well. Back then their warranty was still the same lifetime warranty, but their service sucked. Two to three month turn arounds on repairs, a couple lost pistols( they replaced them after 6 months of hassle). One of our .357 revolvers wouldn't stay timed after 3 trips back. A customer had their barrel fly down range on the first cylinder of ammo through it (no high pressure signs, just an improperly pressed in barrel. ). Broken sights screws backing out, canted barrels, guns arriving rusty, a cracked hammer, a cracked frame, a auto that locked up in some fantastic way that it had to be sent back to the factory without ever being fired, and another six months before they gave up on fixing it and replaced it.

But then you have the other guns ( the majority) that are trouble free, never have a problem, are accurate and reliable guns. One of the other guys who worked at the range had a 92 and a 85 revolver, that he swore by. I've seen some issues at ranges in the last decade with some of their guns as well. Some autos that refuse to feed or a broken ejector, broken safeties. And I saw another that launched a barrel.

Again the majority of the guns are trouble free, their customer service has improved, but the early impressions are still with me. I understand every manufacturer can put out a lemon. I just saw a higher frequency of lemons. Maybe I'm just that guy who was around when they decided to fail. It was enough to make me not want to spend my money on Taurus, even though buying a Smith and Wesson or a Beretta cost more. But I was never sorry with the products I bought even thigh I spent a little more.

I know others have had good experiences with Taurus, and that's great. I hope they continue to improve and make safe reliable guns at affordable prices an make happy, loyal customers.

I likely will still not be one of them. My loss I guess, but I'm not losing sleep or fingers over it.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I have a Taurus 24/7 .45. No, it isn't a 1911 but it is dependable and does what it supposed to.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

No company has 100% customer satisfaction. A lemon squeezes through quality control for every brand. If they make it right than its forgivable. If they are asses about it than that company is on my do not buy again list